Mid-East News II

Discussion in 'International News' started by Ismitje, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17811565

2. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The commander is providing some of the data recovered in this interview

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeXezBhCyqM"]IRGC Aerospace commander, we have recovered all the information about U.S RQ-170 (English Subs) - YouTube[/ame]

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Israel's deal with Egypt for natural gas seem to be on the line.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNv7UtfdoA"]Gas & Peace: Egypt cuts off gas supply to Israel - YouTube[/ame]

5. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...il-province-show-spread-of-iran-tensions.html

6. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    And 90% of Saudi Arabia's oil comes from that area, the Eastern Province which is only inhabited by the Shia. In reality, practically all of Middle East's oil, which means almost half of the world's oil reserves, from Iran and Iraq, to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait is located on Shia-inhabited areas, which is a key strategic advantage for Iran and the main reason why the Arab regimes fear Iran so much.

7. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I do agree that most of the oil in the Middle East in Shia inhabited areas but IMO that is NOT the crux of the issue. The crux of the issue is that Arab regimes fear Iranian hegemony/imperialism. That is why they did NOT want the war against Saddam because it would tilt the balance of favor in the Persian Gulf in Tehran's favor (which is exactly what happened). The nuclear issue is the manifestation of that. A nuclear-armed or nuclear-capable Iran would be a lot stronger and it would take a lot more force to counter it. They also feel (according to their intelligence agencies) that Iran is trying to ferment revolution across the Arab world (ie. Iran is a revolutionary state rather than a status quo state).

8. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire

Attached Files:

9. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Age esmet "iranianfootie" nabood, adam fekr mikard ye rednecke amrikai dare post mikone!

Objectivity is good, but you're doing it wrong.

"ME stability" dige che chertie to dari miparooni? Dast bardar baba.

11. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nimaa jan, esmeh man Ali Daie eh. Man chert hechvakht nemegam.

This is what is meant by Middle East stability from a US/Western perspective:

These are US/Western interests in the region: 1) keep oil flowing at a reasonable price from the Persian Gulf 2) protect the security of Israel 3) reduce threats posed by terrorist groups that attack US and her allies 4) ensure states not allied with the US gain nuclear weapons.

The IRI is involved against the US on three of those four critical interests.

Other than that, very funny post.

12. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol
    thank you

refer to my previous post.

And kindly stop drinking american cool aid by the gallon. Repeating their bull shit gives their claims legitimacy.

You need to choose sides. You're either Iranian or you're American. You can't say "terrorist groups" and when you're confronted, claim that you're simply reporting the "western perspective."

13. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    American cool aid by the gallon is pretty cheap....60 cents a gallon. Iranian petrol by the gallon is very expensive now...almost 4.50 a gallon.

Personally, I am trying to analyze the situation. I'm more of an analyst and less of an activist. I think a MAJOR problem with us Iranians is that we tend to be a VERY emotional group and that is not conductive to making sound judgements. This is where you get phenomena like tacitly supporting the hostage taking of the Ameircan diplomats, prolonged war with Saddam...etc. It's even seen in TM.

I pray for Iran however. I am proud to be Iranian. I support those who want to make Iran a more pluralistic democratic society that produces a goverment suitable for Iranians. But I also live in the United States and I am grateful for the system of government in the US that allows people to be successful as long as they are productive rather than the corruption that is rampant in the IRI.

Hezbollah IS considered a terror group by most of the Western world and even by some Arab governments (Egypt and Bahrain). Do I personally think it is a terror group at the CURRENT time? No. It is more of a guerilla/militant group. It was a terror group in the 1980s when it was kidnapping American journalists in Lebanon. But regardless, the world's most important country (the United States) considers it a terrorist organization. After all, it has attacked the United States before (and France).

14. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Kool, not cool... just saying.[​IMG]

15. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Can some of the israelis here give me the gist of what has happened this week, thanks.

Netanyahu surprise gives Israel grand coalition

http://www.euronews.com/newswires/1509974-netanyahu-surprise-gives-israel-grand-coalition/

So basically Netanyahu won't have a September election?

Who are the 34% that opposed this merger? The Orthodox community -- because of the plans to end their exemptions from the draft?

16. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304363104577392050519982974.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

18. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the exception of South Korea, none of this surprises me in the least. I suspect it won't surprise many others. I don't think anyone here has ever argued that Iran doesn't have incredible potential for democratization.

Actually, I think that's the biggest gripe most here have about Iran. We see what could be and what's preventing it and find it frustrating.

Iran could seriously be a large, stable, democratic, and economically powerful anchor for an entire region (two, actually... both of which desperately need one). People should be putting Iran in the same category as Brazil, India, and even China. Instead, the theocracy there forces comparisons with North Korea and other isolated nations whose leaders don't respect their people and act belligerently to the rest of the world in order to maintain control.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  19. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, I think those people are ripe for liberation from their oppressive government.
    ah, if only we had a cowboy in the white house...

20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a non-sequitor or did you quote my post for a reason?

21. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your post that Iran is probably the most ready for democracy of any ME country. and I'm not surprised by it at all. I was just trying to make a funny, that if W had read that, he'd probably want to go do some more evangelizing and proselytizing in the name of democracy and capitalism in the ME. that was kind of his reasoning in invading Iraq, and look how well that turned out. it was kind of an obscure extrapolation I guess.

22. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha.

Have you heard Romney's belligerent proposed "policy" on Iran?

Positively W-esque...

23. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not read or heard it, but I can imagine.