Mid-East News II

Discussion in 'International News' started by Ismitje, Mar 16, 2012.

1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    It's not true. It's what they believe, because that's what they've been taught, generally by some old guy with a dyed beard and a dent in his forehead.
    The survivors might be happy, but I doubt that those burning to death were thinking, "This is great! Now I'll go to heaven!"
    Taking a trip is good. Burning to death during it, not so much.

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Throwing stones at the devil creates a stampede. Almost a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So many ways to an awesome eternity in that religion.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know Saudi Arabia cold just bomb around the sites (make sure to not damage the Stone thing temple) and help many people get to heaven.

If they do not want to help, maybe they can get Italy to do it, in exchange Saudi Arabia Bombs Rome when people are listening to the Pope.

Sounds like a fair deal to me ;)

5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Just tell ISIS that it is some old archaeological site.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Awesome or not, Iran is nothing like it is portrayed in the west.

In the meantime, below is a picture of the captain of Iran's women football team, Niloufar Ardalan, with her son. She has participated in many tournaments outside of the country but her husband wanted her home for the start of their son's school year.

[​IMG]

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  9. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted my wife home for the start of our kids' school year but I did not steal her passport.

Mr. Conspiracy, stanger and odessit19 repped this.
  10. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It appears that your odds are better in Pamplona! :cautious:

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    JBigjake repped this.
  12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    When you get married in Iran, there is a form prenuptial agreement that has several boxes which the parties can check and sign. Many couples these days sign all the boxes, including the one that gives the wife the right to travel outside of the country without her husband's permission. Otherwise, however, under Iranian law the husband has the right to refuse permission to her wife to travel outside the country. Whether it is a wise law or not, it isn't on top of the issues that I would genuinely spend time worrying about. If the right to travel without your husband's permission is that important, all you need to do is make sure you marry someone who is willing to sign the form prenuptial agreement with all the standard conditions (including, giving the wife the right to get a divorce, right to half the earnings and property during marriage, etc).

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I just hope you realize how 18th century that sounds, regardless if this is on top of the issues you'd genuinely spend time worrying about.

JBigjake repped this.
  14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't care how it sound to you. What I care is how it sounds to people in Iran. For those Iranians who agree that this kind of rule is a bad idea, there is no problem since the form prenuptial agreement that is issued by the state when you get married waives this right of the husband so long as the parties agree. For those who don't agree, and believe that the husband should have a say in whether his wife is allowed to travel abroad, they can refuse to check the applicable box and live by the rules they are comfortable with.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Even without their captain, Iran's women futsal team is doing well in the Asian championships. After beating Hong Kong 6:0, the Uzbeks 9-1, and Malaysia 4-2 in the group stage, the beat Thailand 1:0 in the semis to make the final, where they will face the winner of Japan/Malaysia Saturday for the Asian championship.

http://www.tasnimnews.com/english/Home/Single/870185

16. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And their husbands let them travel all by themselves. How cute.

JBigjake repped this.
  17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Cute or not, talking about women and sports, I find it interesting that all of America's allies in the Middle East have such abysmal records in women sports. In the last last Asian Games (Asian Olympics), Iranian women earned 16 medals. Not as high as their male counterparts, but still alright. Many American allies in the region, such as Saudi Arabia didn't earn a single medal in any women sporting event. The totality of US allies and/or regimes installed by the US in the region -- Saudi Arabia and the rest of the GCC countries (Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, UAE), plus Jordan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Pakistan -- combined to have 4 medals or 1/4 of the number of medals bagged by Iranian women as none of them alone earned more than one medal if any. Below is the link for the 2014 Asian Games medal table for you to verify the issue for yourself.

http://www.incheon2014ag.org/Sports/Medals/MenuMedalStanding?lang=en

It is not just in sports. It is the same story in academic Olympiads as well. Even counting Israel and Turkey, no country in the region earns as many medals in academic Olympics as Iran and none have as many women earn medals for them either. Indeed, other than Turkey and Israel, the rest of the US allies and stooges in the region generally don't earn any medals at all!

Frankly, it just doesn't seem following America's dictates has done any of the women in the region any good!

18. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Do you currently live in Iran? Either you don't, or you have some connection with the government. The western media does portray a blatantly wrong view of Iran, but at the same time Iran isn't the paradise you make it out to seem like. The government is still very corrupt and incompetent.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So...women in the Middle East (broadly considered, except, of course, for Iran) have been "following America's dictates"? How the hell does that even work?

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I live in Iran. I know Iran's faults better you do and I have not portrayed Iran as any form of paradise. But Iran is just nothing like it is portrayed to be and when I look around the countries that the US has messed up in this region to achieve its ulterior goals, I am confident that Iran's future is not going to be any better letting the spin masters in the US with their ulterior motives get away with its lies and caricatures about Iran.

Now, to go back to what I was talking about and to follow up on my last post on academic Olympics, here is what I had written elsewhere that I like to re-post here too with the applicable links.

... there is no country in the Middle East (including Israel and Turkey) which do as well as Iran in international scientific Olympiads. These are the competitions which show the quality and innate genius of scientific education in different countries in the world.

Lets start, for instance, with the latest International Physics Olympiad.

In the 46th International Physics Olympiad which concluded in Mumbai India, Iran earned 2 Gold and 3 Silver medals. That put Iran among the top countries in terms of medals. In this mix, what was the best showing by the next best country in the Middle East (counting Israel)? Here is the page that carries the results:
    http://www.ipho2015.in/results/
    Except for Iran, no other country from the Middle East (including Israel and Turkey) earned gold medals. The best Israeli participant earned a silver and finished 78th in the individual rankings (behind all 5 of the Iranian participants including those who earned silver medals). After that, the next best finisher from the region was from Turkey, who finished 94th in the individual rankings. There were several other Turks and Israelis who earned silver and bronze medals finishing behind the ones I mentioned, but otherwise you didn't have a single medalist from any other Middle Eastern country (there was a Pakistani guy who finished 168th and earned a bronze).

If you go to the Wikipedia article on International Physics Olympiad, you will notice that winners of the physics competition is usually from the far east (typically Korean or Chinese). There have been instances where an American has won the competition and instances when the competition has been won by someone from a European country (including Russia). But except for Iran which won the competition in 1997, no one from the Middle East region (including Israel or Turkey) has won this competition.

It is the same story in other disciplines. For instance, Iran finished 5th in this years International Chemistry Olympiad with 1 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze medal. If you look at the official results, no other country in the region (besides Iran) earned a gold medal. The best showing after Iran was from Turkey, which had 3 silver medalists although all finishing behind not just Iran's gold medalist, but also Iran's top silver medalist.

If you go to the International Mathematics Olympiad website, it is again the same story. Iran is the only country from the Middle East to have ever won the competition (1998 ) and finished this year's competition in 7th place with 3 gold medals.

Already, one of these young Olympiad winners from Iran, Maryam Mirzakhani who won the 1994 gold medal in the mathematics Olympiad, ended up becoming the winner of the mathematics version of the Nobel prize, namely winning the Fields award (becoming the first women to do so). These are the best and brightest minds in the various scientific fields and while to reach their full potential, many will regrettably pursue their studies and join the faculties in universities outside of Iran, Iran has already shown the quality of its education system and the bright minds (including many female ones) that study in Iran.

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I was talking about the status of women and their relative accomplishments in countries in the region whose governments are supported by the US. And what I was mentioning is the simple fact that having a government the US approves (or even in some cases has installed) hasn't meant women in these countries are doing better than women in Iran.

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So you've taken a correlation and fashioned it into a causation, even despite this slight backing off?

Awesome.

Here are some other nifty correlations.

Mr. Conspiracy and stanger repped this.
  23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    forums.BigIran.com

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I wrote Libya, when I should have written Lebanon. Libya obviously isn't in Asia.