Michael Bradley is good - sorry ditractors

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DempC, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I thought the boy crushes on Adu had stopped around here. Freddy has got some upside no doubt but what does his not getting call-ups have to do with Bradley? These guys don't play the same position so who's spot is Freddy gonna take? LD, Dempsey or Beaz? Bradley is a 20 year old destroyer. He'll make some mistakes and he may make alot but that comes with the position. Gatuso does it as does Essien....it comes with the territory. That's what he has on Ricardo Clark, that's it. Clark is a fine player but Bradley makes it a point to introduce himself to everyone that comes through midfield. To put Bradley in perspective, go back and watch the Arg/Brz match and then go rewatch the US/Brz game. Bradley actually may have outplayed any Argentine midfielder that day for maybe the exception of Mascherano.

Who's this Edu guy that keeps getting mentioned in this thread? Did we get a Brazilian that actually wants to be a NAD?

2. brainer 99

brainer 99 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    That's exactly what we need. And if he misses them, then Gooch can take 'em out. Do we really need a "destroyer" in our midfield? we need a player who plays smart and plays under control. We have a hard enough time competing with 11 players, why take the chance of playing with 10?

3. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In time Bradley will learn to play with more control and still be considered a destroyer. Most teams that don't have someone wreaking havoc in the midfield usually get overrun. A destroyer will keep the oposition honest.

4. brainer 99

brainer 99 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    fair enough. I just don't want another Mastro. Poorly timed tackles, statement tackles, etc.........resulting in red (see US-v-Italy 2006WC). For my money give me a mix of Rico and MB, size, speed, recovery speed, positioning, and attitude.

5. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on. Defining Bradley as a "destroyer" as opposed to someone who plays smart and under control is a complete red herring.

If the US wants to compete with Brazil, Argentina, and the top European sides in 2010, we need a strong defensive midfielder. Period. End of story. That DM must be a destroyer who plays smart and under control. And hopefully, over time, develops better offensive sense.

Which is exactly what Bradley is developing into.

6. brainer 99

brainer 99 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    This is what frustrates me. Yes, he is developing, and yes he will be an option. I agree a DM should be a destroyer, but in terms of disruting the play and making a hard(smart) foul when needed. A good destroyer does this at the right time, right spot on the feild and does it in a way that he won't get red carded. I feel that MB comes into alot of challenges wrecklessly, as he doesn't appear as quick and seems to be recovering as he puts himself in bad positions. Yes he runs his butt off during games, but he sometimes seems to run himself out of position. I'm just frustrated as his father seems to be saying he's our best option at this time and by reading this thread i keep hearing the term "developing"? At the same time, i believe others aren't being given the oppurtunity to show with the first team.

7. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'm saying is that he is both developing AND our best option at this time.

To review my position:
    Bradley = Raw, talented, full of heart. The best DM we've got right now and the one most likely to take us to the next level
    Clark = More polish, less talent, just about at the same level as Bradley at the current moment
    ??? = no one seems willing to throw out another defensive midfield name that should get playing time, which is starting to irritate me

8. brainer 99

brainer 99 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Fair enough, but i do like Clark. Who else is out there? Beckerman,.........?

9. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Clark too! I think it's amazing that this team has had 3 major central midfield contributors seize their opportunities since the last World Cup. That has got to give us confidence that 2010 isn't going to be a repeat of 2006.

Beckerman... Sure, give him some PT now that the Euro season is in full swing and RSL are effectively out of playoff contention. I'm not really a huge fan, but he's next on the depth chart.

Szetela needs time to integrate into his role at Racing, get a full season of first team football, prove he's not injury prone, and demonstrate he isn't an attitude case. One good U-20 tourney does not a Nats call-up make.

My current depth chart at d-mid:
    Bradley
    Clark
    Mastro
    Beckerman
    Szetela

10. mercury3164

mercury3164 Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Manhattan
    Ives on Bradley

Ives, one of the most respected/revered and intelligent soccer journalists around gets it....why don't the rest of you bradley haters get it!? are you simple?

Doesn't matter either way...bradley is quality, and bradley is here to stay, whether you like it or not.

11. gejal01

gejal01 New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Creston, CA
    I agree totally Mercury3164,
    He is without question not only our best option at the moment but it is also the potentail that makes him special, there are times when he shows worldclass holding and yes, PASSES, and what is very encouraging he makes thos without thinking, in effect they are automatic in springing an attacking player loose. This board and the experts, (most of whom have never ever stepped on the field with worldclass players) seem bent on concentrating on his errors and ignore the good things he does......If we were to concentrate on the bad for even Ronaldiho and or KAKA even Dunga in his prime we would gripe just as much.....couiple the fact that he is the coaches son and thes people cry foul. That is plain jealousy and any analysis that only considers mistakes without tempering that with what is done well, is by definition myopic....and thus not worthy of redress.....
    Just and ex pro's opinion......

12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you should watch MB when he plays a lot closer - not just when he has the ball or is actually challenging for the ball. Shouldn't be hard as he is typically in the middle of the picture the entire game. I believe his positioning is very good and is due to the fact that he runs his butt off. I believe that is why he is viewed now as a serious option at DM - that he can be counted on to be where he needs to be and doesn't take breaks or disappear during the game. He takes responsibility to be in position to shield his back line defensively, not to let the other team run free through the midfield and to provide a quick and safe passing link between back line and midfield. Has he had some challenges that weren't particularly great - yes, but I'm with those who think he will improve in that area.

13. brainer 99

brainer 99 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    I do watch him. As i said before, i think he and Clark will be our two options at DM for the next round of WCQ. However, i base my opinion on more than just the Brasil game. He did have a good game against Brasil, but i still think he has some learning to do. To me, the DM position is like the QB who needs to play smart. i just hope we see Rico or other(?) in there with the first team. And for those who say the ditractors are becuase his dad is coach, well yes. Ever game of importance(Gold Cup) saw MB play DM. Mastro and Benny were in there for a short time and Rico got one game. MB played the last five games and please don't say it was because Rico was going to get to play with that B/C Shite team we sent to Copa. The one game Rico played in, i thought he stood out. Let me put it to you this way, if during the next round of qualifications, both Rico and MB are our two DM's and MB has a couple of poor games, will BB be able to bench him or will he continue to get the start. I just see MB getting starts no matter how he plays and that frustrates me. i guess i should direct my frustration more with BB than Michael.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Raw, talented, full of heart = coming of the bench on most planets. What's the rush? Why not give the same treatement to much more gifted players like Adu and Altidore?

Based on what. Statistically he's either the worst or second worst of the starting midfielders in the games he plays.

See above.

I would like to see Edu and Sturgis get camps starting next year.

15. Well, at the moment he is played by Heerenveen as the attacking midfielder, right behind the target man.

16. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the rush is that he's our best DM as well.

Additionally, I don't think you should punish Bradley for lack of playing time given to Adu (disagree) and Altidore (totally agree). Coach B's error is in not playing Altidore, NOT playing Bradley too much.

Statistically? By all means feel free to argue about the quality of our DMs based on statistics from (mostly) friendlies. I don't think many here will care though.

I could see both of them getting a cap or two next spring as well. Both have high potential, but aren't as far along as Bradley.

17. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's an incredibly good thing. Everyone's complaining because apparently he's not a "two way" midfielder. Well he's becoming one.

Anyway... when he's the workhorse and soul of the US team in South Africa, I'm coming back to this thread for all the doubters...

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Again, based on what?

Consistency is important in any competent leader.

Bradley's logged plenty of minutes now in competitive matches and friendlies. His stats--and I'm referring to IZ's stats--are hardly trivial.

It sure beats hand waving, man-crushing, and genuflecting to authority.

19. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that he is better than our other DMs, DUH!!:p

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    In other words, more hand waving and nut-hugging...

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The Kool-Aid has been imbibed by a number of postyers...

22. inflames

inflames New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    gattuso is on another level, something bradley is gonna have to work a lot to get to, theres definitely potential

i think hes clearly favored by his dad tho, why is he the only u20 player that gets called up frequently and starts!?!

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I like how everyone has 4gotten about Danny Szetela

24. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Szetela has to prove he's something other than a one hit wonder with an attitude and a penchant for long term injuries before he should even get a sniff at a cap...

25. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When none of our players looks "overmatched" against Brazil, we will win the World Cup.