Miami Fusion... Nostalgic thread

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Lucho305, Sep 25, 2013.

1. scejas

scejas Member

May 21, 2001
    Miami
  2. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didnt think this site was that old.

your passion for the game is welcomed to the new Miami team. There wont be any Fusion connections though. As Becks said this morning theyre starting from scratch.

Andy Bulldog repped this.
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Rooney Tapped as Boca Raton FC Head Coach
    December 14, 2017
    Boca Raton FC is proud to announce the hiring of Jim Rooney, whose extensive appearance in American and South Florida soccer makes him a natural fit for the organization. Rooney will lead Boca Raton FC during the 2018 season.

Operating as a central midfielder or deep-lying playmaker, Rooney captained the Major League Soccer’s (MLS) Miami Fusion from 1999 to 2001, leading the Fusion to the Supporters Shield crown in 2001 and the US Open Cup Final in 2000. Rooney was an MLS All-Star in 2001 and in total scored 21 times and notched 22 assists in an MLS career that spanned six seasons and playing for the MetroStars, Miami Fusion, and the New England Revolution.

“Jim’s unique profile is exactly what we have been looking for at Boca Raton FC,” said president Douglas Heizer. “As a player, he captained a local MLS team and as a coach, he coached a local NASL team.”

As a coach, Rooney has played a key role in helping guide the Fort Lauderdale Strikers to the NASL Championship Series in 2011. Following his stint with the Strikers, he worked with the US Soccer U-17 Men’s National Team at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, where he coached a number of big-name players, including the 2017 U.S. Soccer Male Player of the Year, Christian Pulisic.

After that, Rooney joined the coaching staff with the Jacksonville Armada of NASL.

“I’m looking forward to this opportunity,” said Rooney. “It’s a very rare to be able to coach in your hometown for your hometown club.”

Rooney’s extensive national and international pedigree between all levels of soccer will be paramount as Boca Raton FC builds towards the future.

“To coach my local club it’s something I’ve been wanting to do for years,” explained Rooney. “After meeting Douglas and the ownership group I felt this was a great fit and I’m looking forward to starting this project together with them.”

“Jim’s extensive contact list will be instrumental in helping our players make the next step in their careers,” added Heizer. “His perspectives on the game in not only South Florida, but the United States, makes him a great fit for Boca Raton FC as we look towards the future.”

4. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello? U guys alive? [emoji41][emoji41]

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Kyle Beckerman and Nick Rimando re-signed with RSL for probably their last contracts respectively. Both started their careers with the Miami Fusion 15+ years ago.

Also Preki has signed as the new assistant coach at Seattle Sounders.

6. scejas

scejas Member

May 21, 2001
    Miami
    I actually joined in 2001.

7. Strikermansteve

Feb 10, 2012
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    That 2001 team was clickin' on ALL cylinders! Perhaps the most exciting team in the history of the league, from an attacking-style perspective. They were wasting teams, 5-1, 6-2...all orchestrated by the living legend, one Raymond Hudson (I'm biased, he was my favorite Striker as an 8 year old fan in '77)...I heard he was at the announcement on Monday...would love to know what he thinks of this.

I still have a vhs copy of the local news reports from the Save the Fusion Rally. I was interviewed by two stations, as was Orlando Alzugaray from WQAM. We got a lot of press that day, though too little too late.

It's sad to see what's left of Lockhart these days. It's been used as a dump for Irma debris in the parking lot. The field apparently has weeds growing the size of small redwood trees...but life goes on,we've got our memories and permanent status in the annals of South Florida Soccer History.

Should be interesting to see what Becks and Co. can put together down in Miami. I'll be there.