Miami fc home stadium

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by ckh1, Feb 9, 2010.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's them. I think there's a European team too. In any case it's not the most common shirt out there. It would certainly stand out amongst the NASL/USL/MLS teams.

3. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami FC wasnt all that but it was a soccer name, naming a team to satisfy the people that were fans of the strikers back in the day, isnt going to help the attendance spike up, I understand yall are happy about the name change but Im really not turned on by it, Ima still root for the team and go to the games but naming a team strikers is really americanized name but i mean obviously we are in America, so yeah. Well really happy fo rthe change hopefully we get a nice looking jerseys, and brand names like Nike, or Lotto for the strikers kits, and start a legacy on the right foot, hopefully this will be the last team to ever be in south florida, and evetually have history with this team...

Can't wait till 2011 when they step on the field with those kits, hopefully getting to Concacaf Champions league, and winning championships in the NASL

I just hope everything turns out for the best when the NASL opens up next year... so in the futuristic words of Miami FC 2011... Go Strikers FC....

4. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NASL's Ft Lauderdale Strikers had nice kit's and color combination's.
    http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/S...lie Gordon Banks, George Best, Ian Turner.jpg

http://home.att.net/~naslpics/teampics/82_strikers.jpg

5. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not, but, hopefully, it might. Either way it signals a significant change of attitude on Traffic's part. To me this signals a commitment to the sport here in South Florida by tying themselves to a very significant part of the area's history. That commitment is huge. It says they are not fly by night, they're here to stay. The Academy and the cash being spent on the Baseball stadium add weight to that.

Finally, you're beginning to catch on...;)....South Florida is actually part of the USA, not a northern province of South America. Sure, It's Latin American in flavor and culture, that difference is the selling point to the rest of the country, like N'Awlins being 'Cajun, but it is part and parcel "American". That's what makes it so damn neat to live here.

I could not agree more. The Strikers kit is one of the most distinctive ever in US soccer. Very colorful and, for want of a better word, striking...:D.. It's a winner from the get go.

As for hoping for tremendous success for the team & the league; you and I are as one....:eek:.... I'll bet that all the folks that post on this forum feel exactly the same way.

Here's hoping for a fantastic future for this team and organization. Just give us a good, solid team on the field to root for and, in time, South Florida will support it.

6. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    When Traffic gets the Strikers back to life, I hope it will involve Ray Hudson. Because to me, he was like the heart and soul of the team

He could give the team a lot of credibility

7. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be great. He is with GolTV, and they were the shirt sponsor for the team a few years back. Though I doubt he'd leave his job as a commentator to be involved with a American D2 team unless they offered him a deal too good to pass up.

Unfortunately this team wouldn't be on TV much, because I'd love for him to be the full time announcer lol. He's the best. One day if MLS returns he'd be a great fit.

MFC is a "soccer name", but so is Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. They had some of the best players of their era, Hudson, Best, Banks, Cubillas, but it didn't matter to them, or the fans. Almost every team all over the world has a nickname, "Red Devils", "Tiburones", "Spurs", "Wolves" the list goes on. I don't care either way, but in South Florida's case it has two very good "Americanized" team names from the past to use. The Strikers of course, and I do hope any future Miami based team, NASL or MLS or otherwise, adopts the Fusion name.

8. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Ray Hudson has a lot of personality and heart.
    I believe he's the kind of coach that player's love to play for.
    You can hear and feel his love of the game when he does television
    broadcast on Gol TV.

9. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami FC, Seattle Sounders FC, AC Milan, Manchestter City FC, Manchester United, D.C. United, philadelphia union, CA Boca Juniors, CD Atletico Junior, Deportivo Cali, Atletico HUila, CA river plate Miami Strikers FC (MAYBE!?) are SOCCER NAMES.....

Not strikers, Rowdies, cosmos, dolphins, jets, giants, toros, aztex, burn, raging bulls, rhinos, revoultion, galaxy, timbers, patriots, heat, timberwolves, lakers, panthers, bruins, penguins, ducks, canadiens marlins, mets , yankees, fire, cubs white sox, red sox, rapids, crew, brewers, knights, bulldogs, hurricanes, etc., etc. etc, etc. you get what i mean now?? Grow up with the naming.... no wonder the rest of the world calls MLS mickey mouse league because of the Mickey mouse names they give the teams, and NASL wants to go that way with Miami FC? I mean yea bring on the name change but be more mature about it, atleast name the team Miami/ ft. lauderdale/ South FLorida STRIKERS F.C.!!!! or Club Deportivo Strikers, or AC Strikers, or STrikers FC, or something but dont leave it plain.....

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Tampa is not using the term Rowdies anymore but FC Tampa Bay, but I understand your point but also you got to look at it from a marketing, historical standpoint.

For example back in 2008 Tampa was buzzing because the "Rowdies" were coming back well by 2010 every soccer fan in Tampa knows that the team is back but a couple of months ago they dropped the Rowdies name, but the marketing and using the name helped bring fans back over the past 2 years.

the same could happen in Miami, start saying that Ft. Lauderdale Strikers will be back in 2011 and in the last month change the name to South Florida FC.

11. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that because of a trademark dispute, not an urge to be more "international" with the name?

12. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it's because of the trademark dispute. The Rowdies ownership made it clear that they have the right to operate a soccer team named the Tampa Bay Rowdies, but they have a dispute over selling merchandise with the Tampa Bay Rowdies name due to some trademark squatters out in Texas. So, for the time being, Rowdies merchandise is using the "FC Tampa Bay" name, but it's still the Rowdies. Once the merchandise dispute is cleared up they'll go back to the Tampa Bay Rowdies name officially.

13. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just about the time I think you've actually become a grown up you go and have another infantile tantrum. It is time you became mature enough to realize that this is not the rest of the world & most of us really don't care what the rest of the world does or what they think of us. Our way is our way and if the rest of the world doesn't like it, then they don't like it. It makes good sense to us and we like it the way it is.

In all honesty, I was amused at first at the stupidity of everyone else for not doing things the way we do it here. How Mickey Mouse of them for not doing things the right way like we do. And look at all the goofy ads on the uniforms, too. Some even have BIMBO right across their asses, for GAWD sake! How screwed up is that? They look like hick, hillybilly NASCAR running around a green, grassy field with so many ads on them we can't see their uniform, which they mistakenly call a kit....and the jackasses call the playing field a pitch, for cryin' out loud, and the schedule has "fixtures", not games. Who ever heard of such things?!?!

Different strokes for different folks, Lucho. Neither one is Mickey Mouse, nor stupid, nor silly. Just the way things started 100+ years ago when the sports on both sides of the Atlantic & elsewhere came into being. Different circumstance, cultures and methods brought forth different ways of solving the same problems and challenges. They've evolved over time into the various sports traditions that cover the planet. None of them are actually wrong if they work for the place they are at. They've done well for the folks that started them & the folks that now use them. I've learned to live with them and, in fact, appreciate them. It's time for you to do the same. Please stop the rants about the one's here. It's old and it adds nothing to the conversation.

14. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess antique, we always have to do the different thing we always want it our way, but in reality I think that is why so much of the world hates us (americans), because we want to do everything our way and simpy there is no law that says we have to be the same as everyone else, but still why with soccer, im happy to be american, and happy we are so independent on how we do things and advance so much farther than any other country..

but that doesnt mean that it has to be that way in soccer, who are we to be changing something so tradtional, and so popular in the world and is so succesful elsewhere and we go ahead and change it up...

Im sorry for the infantile tantrum, I guess because its so succesful in my parents country, i guess im convinced it would work here too... that is, with the naming and the way they have pride for their team back in colombia, since im not seeing what i see over there, i feel as if this country will never get there, because its so different.

Im just sad to see it would never reach there in my lifetime, where soccer is king.. here it dont matter, the only way it would get there is with the american way..

15. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, Lucho. I know you've got the love of the game & you want it to succeed. More importantly, you want it to succeed here. You and I both want that. I just don't think that we have to imitate anyone else to make it work here. Certainly the laws of the game are the same worldwide, as they should be, but there is room enough for differences in just about anything else about the sport that allow for an array of ways to do things while still keeping it "the beautiful game". To expect anything else is absurd.

I do not expect football/futbol/calcio/soccer to become the dominant sport in this country. The big 4, American Football (...throwball?...:D..) is the major team sport right now, baseball, basketball & hockey (..and the Olympics did not hurt THAT sport in the least) are the top pro sports now. The colligiate variations of them are also huge. Hell, even NASCAR generates more fans and revenue, by far. They are our competition for the average Joe's, or Jose's, sports entertainment dollar.

To succeed soccer has to appeal to the 300+ million of the folks that live here on their terms. Doing that within the cultural atmosphere of this country is the only way to go.

Certainly as it entertains it must educate. Most folks don't really know enough about the game to appreciate it. But, I'm a prime example of that educational process. I knew squat about the game in the 1960's. Learned a bit in the '70s with the Gatos and the original Strikers. Had to learn more once my kids started playing in the '80s. Had a major involvement and education as they became serious about playing in the '90s (coaching & reffing will do that to you..;)...) and am now a fairly knowledgble, avid fan of the sport. While doing that I've retained my love of the games I played as a child....those 4 listed about (hockey was only pond hockey, BTW, nothing at all formal). The Beautiful Game was just added to the list.

Most people in the USA have a far better aquaintance with the sport now than I had as a child or as a young man. Since my youth the sport has grown remarkably. Almost all childhood participants grow into lifelong fans. Such success as the USA has had internationally has also spotlighted the sport domestically. MLS has not hurt it's success as much as many think it has.

The emergence of the new NASL will, hopefully, give more depth to the sport. It seems that the nice Brazilians that control Traffic have concluded that to succeed here they have to adapt to local circumstances. Thus the move to Lockhart. And the possible renaming. It seems that that is the way to survive in South Florida. I hope they're right. I honestly think they are. We'll see.

(Again, for the record, I have nothing againt the team being the Ft Lauderdale or Miami or South Florida Strikers if that is what is needed to make it survive. Whatever it take to keep it alive.)

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW doesn't Man U use the moniker red devils, Arsenal gunners, Chelsea Blues etc...what's wrong with that.

17. Robert Lanza

Robert Lanza Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The use of team nicknames is in essence an English invention (Gunners, Reds, Red Devils, et al). US sports teams simply took it one step further and incorporated the nicknames into the teams' "official" names which, barring a few exceptions, foreign teams don't do.

Go Miami FC in '10! Go Strikers in '11!

18. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's the main difference, which isn't much of a difference at all. Most every team around the world has a nickname, and while proponents of the "City Name FC" style of naming like to say their nicknames are developed organically by the fans, most come about because of something in the team's crest.

We just cut right to the chase here in North America lol.

19. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So all games are going to be played at lockhart? Thats good, and how about the U.S. Open Cup games is there a possibility they can get played at FIU stadium? Maybe with a reall good sweet promotion to pack the stadium and cheer on the blues all the way for a chance at the Concacaf Champions league!!!??!!!

20. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It was nice to see Miami FC 2010/ Ft Lauderdale Strikers 2011 play in their home Lockhart Stadium yesterday against Redbull New York, even if it was rainy and windy.
    With only 20 fans, you can still feel the intimate atmosphere there can be with at least 1000 yelling chanting cheering enthusiastic fans!
    I can't wait to see more home games at Lockhart Stadium!

One thing...I hope there won't be those stupid American throwball lines on the pitch!

21. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not often you see that. Only at the very end of the year usually.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, American football lines on the pitch or 20 fans watching a soccer game in Miami?

23. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    The only FCs in Miami are the Dolphins, U of M, and FIU. The Blues/Strikers are a soccer team. Get over yourself and live with it. MLS is considered "Mickey Mouse" as you say (and I'm not so sure they are in reality) because the league is only in its 15th season, and hasn't been around long enough to establish a proven record against other teams in the world. Call yourself FC as an American team, and the rest of the world calls you "poser."

25. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I thought that was an every game occurrence. :D