News: Miami FC and the rest of the TOA confirm New League! Tampa would leave USL

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by chichi, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Maybe, maybe not. If the TOA teams can afford to pay outgoing college players $30k+, they can compete directly with MLS for them and will likely afford more of them playing time.

I just don't like the way both div 2 leagues will have some long away trips. That gets expensive.

2. frenchy921

frenchy921 Member

Nov 22, 2003
    san francisco,ca
    Would you mind explaining why Tampa could get sued? Haven't they paid their franchise fees already? If they have, couldn't they fold as a USL franchise and reborn as a TOA franchise?

Frenchy921

3. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I didn't respond before, I wasn't checking bigsoccer.

It has to do with the franchise agreement, read the following link:

http://thekartikreport.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/usltoa-situation-updates/

Folding as you say would be an interesting option. I'm sure their legal dept is looking into all options.

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoohoo it's on!! Road triiiiiiip!

Baltimore is a nice surprise too.

Also, the reports of MFC filing for the trademark for the name NASL(one can only assume for the new league) hints to me that they will possibly be taking up the Strikers name. A new NASL with the Rowdies, Whitecaps and Strikers(and maybe Cosmos too, who knows?) would be awesome! Where's Pelé and Ray Hudson? Sign them up lol.

7. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would the name take on <City> Strikers F.C. ?? Will they be Miami or Ft. Lauderdale strikers F.C.??

8. Riben

Riben Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Miami
    http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2009/...could-be-called-north-american-soccer-league/

9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about Miami Gatos or Miami Strikers FC....

10. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Miami Gatos or Miami Strikers is ok with me.

11. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami Strikers is okay, not as good as Ft. Lauderdale though. If you're going to resurrect a NASL name, it would be wise to use the successful one, the one people really remember, not the Gatos/Toros as they moved to become the Strikers.

I don't think you need the "FC" at the end but if they want to add it on to differentiate themselves from the original team(s) with that name so be it.

12. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could live with the Striker name resurrected as either Miami Strikers or Ft Lauderdale Strikers, with or without the added FC. The Gatos are best left dead and buried. Thanks for the thought, WSW. It's actually a pretty good idea...:)

I hope this bold venture, or adventure, works out. Road trips to Tampa, or points further north, sound like a hoot...;)

13. FIUJoel

FIUJoel New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    Miami FC
    I like Miami Strikers F.C. a lot. If there is a name change, that's what it should be. Or keep it Miami F.C., but instead of Blues, replace it with Strikers.

14. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I say keep the F.C. in it to remember the Miami F.C. and incorporate the Strikers name change, therfore Miami Strikers F.C.

15. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it all depends on where they decide to play. If it's FIU or elsewhere in Dade that name could work. If it's Lockhart or the Cricket Stadium in Broward, it HAS to be Ft. Lauderdale. We can't have another team calling itself Miami and not playing there.

Or course they may not change their name at all, but with the NASL development it just makes too much sense to revive the Strikers name(not that it didn't make a lot of sense already). If they do move full time to Broward a name change needs to be done though. Even if it's just to "Ft. Lauderdale FC".

16. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess, so then i'll just wait for a Miami MLS team then, I know ft. lauderdale is part of south florida but im not ft.lauderdalian or browardiinian...

Maybe this will definitely grow the fans up north, If its for the best of south florida soccer im for it...

Being from Miami, its sad that nodoby can support a team down here.. Maybe if the future is better and Miami learns to support a team, then im all for it but for now let ft. lauderdale get their team and let Miami, envy it so much that when it comes back we will learn to appreciate a team.

go Ft. laudy daudy F.C.

17. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd call them "Strikers" nothing more or add the F.C. Refer to them as South Florida's Soccer team but don't put a city name on the team. We can't afford to alienate any community in South Florida.
    We need fans from Ft Lauderdale and Miami to get behind this team. Back in the Fusion days i drove up to Lockhart and I did the same for Miami FC games. Its about supporting Soccer in your area. We all need to support Miami FC no matter what. If they change the name great, if not go to the stadium anyway people!
    I never liked the Strikers colors though... I hope that if they do change the name that they don't resurrect the colors lol.

18. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aww man you gotta have the colors. The red and yellow hoops are an iconic look. It would provide something instantly recognizable as South Florida's team. I was wearing my MFC jersey at the Honduras-Peru game and people though it was a Honduras shirt(my Ultras scarf was covering up the crest). By bringing back the classic Strikers look you create hundreds of walking advertisements. In a MFC shirt you could be a Honduras fan, Chelsea, Montréal Impact, Everton, you name it. The Strikers had one of the more unique kits, and it's good marketing to revive it.

You could get away with just "Strikers FC" but I don't buy the playing to both counties aspect. As soon as people figure out where the team plays they may still decide not to go regardless of the name. Unless they build a stadium on the county line, the team will have to pick one county/city or the other and roll with it. I think for the full NASL nostalgia support boosting effect it has to be Ft. Lauderdale Strikers.

And yes, I agree, whatever the name or location, everyone in So. Fla. needs to back our club.

19. FIUJoel

FIUJoel New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    Miami FC
    I still say Miami Strikers FC... Miami has more of a marketing pull to it. If you bring back the colors, the jerseys need to be updated... no "hoops" please... the color scheme could work. Or maybe even replace the yellow with gold. All ideas worth throwing around.

20. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's not done right it's not worth doing at all IMO. As I said before Miami Strikers might work, but without the classic kits it's a waste of time to change the name. Instead of embracing an iconic look, we'd once again be re-inventing the wheel and throwing away what little name recognition and image Miami FC has built over the last 4 years.

Miami does indeed have more of a marketing pull to it, but that's what they thought with the Fusion. Several total failures in Miami in the original NASL and APSL, and while the Strikers did well and the MLS club ended up in Ft. Lauderdale, they were stubborn and kept the Miami Fusion name even though they didn't play there(I do like that name if the team stays in Miami though). And the current trend is the smaller, less "marketing appeal" cities are performing well. And 3 of them happen to be teams with NASL names: Portland, Vancouver and Seattle.

If they don't go all the way with reviving the Strikers identity there is no point to changing.

21. FIUJoel

FIUJoel New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    Miami FC
    You have a point... I just don't think those old uniforms would translate well in 2010. They might have looked great back in the 70s and 80s, but now? They have to be upgraded at least a little bit if the Strikers name is to be revived?

22. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I have lived in Florida since 2001, and have been a staunch supporter of the MLS/ Columbus Crew. Never regarding USL. However was hoping FCB could work something out last year.
    As recent as Sunday I have decided to boycott MLS for many reasons, and whole heartedly support Miami FC/USL. I have been very interested in what has been developing in the USL over the past few months.
    Well, now...the NASL. I am very excited! and look forward to what the future will hold.

23. FIUJoel

FIUJoel New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Welcome ckh1! Hopefully you will be the first of many in South Florida to recognize and stand behind Miami FC as they enter a new decade and a new era in North American soccer!

24. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly why they would be great. They don't look like anything else out there. The old Rowdies uniforms are a bit dated too, but if the new team shows up with anything but the green and gold hoops on the sleeves it will be a travesty.

I'm not saying they would have to copy the old uniforms exactly. A modernized version would do fine, and you could even replace the "Strikers" on the front with a sponsor. However the hoops are a must.

Welcome aboard! Every fan helps :D

25. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly why they would be great. They don't look like anything else out there. The old Rowdies uniforms are a bit dated too, but if the new team shows up with anything but the green and gold hoops on the sleeves it will be a travesty.

I'm not saying they would have to copy the old uniforms exactly. A modernized version would do fine, and you could even replace the "Strikers" on the front with a sponsor. However keeping the colors+hoops is a must.

Welcome aboard! Every fan helps :D