mfls Champions League

Discussion in 'Games' started by Wendys, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Wendys

Wendys Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Does Champions League start this week or next?

2. AJ

AJ Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Hilliard, OH
    According to the Un-Updated Site: This Week

Preston's web page indicated that the Champions League was to start this week, but he's not posted the participants or the groupings...

3. Wendys

Wendys Member

Mar 28, 2000
    I'd imagine he's just really busy, so I'm preparing like we have a match this week!

4. AJ

AJ Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Hilliard, OH
    In Preston's Absence...

Since we've not heard from Preston and his site indicates the group play begins this weekend,I'll hold a draw into five groups and post the results by division... If he's got another draw somewhere else, that one will be official rather than mine. However, in the event that he's not held his own - we can use this one...

I've not taken the time to find out who the qualifiers from each division are. I'll try to do that in a bit.

Group A
    1.USA v World
    2.Fire Alarm Premier
    3.LA Galaxy
    4.River Ratz of the Nose

Group B
    1.RevMFLS
    2.CrewFan - McBride
    3.BSSM Premier
    4.Rochester Rhino Fans

Group C
    1.River Ratz of the Tail
    2.The Black & The Red
    3.Casbah
    4.League of Great Significance

Group D
    1.CrewFan - John
    2.Omega
    3.Brew City (League)
    4.Fire Season Ticket Holders

Group E
    1.Yahoo SuxAss
    2.Brew City (MFLS)
    3.WizMFLS
    4.CrewFan - Friedel

First Week: 1v4, 2v3
    Second Week: 1v3, 2v4
    Third Week: 1v2, 3v4

5. AJ

AJ Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Hilliard, OH
    Translated into Teams...

Once again I'll re-iterate that Preston may have already sorted all this out; and if that's true then his ruling counts. However, if it's true that he's not done it, my draw from the previous post translated into teams shakes out like this...

Group A
    1.Wolf Riders (#7 overall)
    2.Firefanz
    3.Al Ataque VI (#14 overall)
    4.High Plains Ballers

Group B
    1.Rivendell Wednesday (#6 overall)
    2.Blackbullet
    3.\_o_/ (#16 overall)
    4.Relegation Rangers

Group C
    1.MOAV
    2.The Holy Knights (#17 overall)
    3.Rubio Begonias
    4.Grainger Rebels

Group D
    1.Beggar (#1 overall)
    2.Hyde Park Rangers
    3.Abracadabra
    4.Machina

Group E
    1.Pox
    2.Top Shelf (#3 overall)
    3.Maestro FC
    4.Mpasi Monene

This Week:
    A: Wolf Riders v High Plains Ballers
    A: Firefanz v Al Ataque VI
    B: Riverndell Wednesday v Relegation Rangers
    B: Blackbullet v \_o_/
    C: MOAV v Grainger Rebels
    C: The Holy Knights v Rubio Begonias
    D: Begger v Machina
    D: Hyde Park Rangers v Abracadabra
    E: Pox v Mpasi Monene
    E: Top Shelf v Maestro FC

Good luck to all!

6. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    AJ -- Thanks for taking the initiative to keep this going.

Also, I'll identify myself as the manager for \_o_/ of the BSSM Premier division.

7. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks, AJ!

Rubio Begonias, Team 3 Group C

8. AJ

AJ Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Hilliard, OH
    Oh, How Embarrassing!

(sarcasm) I sure am glad I stepped up to announce pairings, etc. for this year's Champions League. (/sarcasm)

I got the worst score in the whole league! :( I made too many changes - outsmarted myself, then left Diallo on my bench. What an idiot I am - my second straight year choking upon arrival. :(

Oh, well - on to the rest of the league, where some surprises await...

A: Wolf Riders 50:44 High Plains Ballers
    A: Firefanz 45:34 Al Ataque VI
    B: Riverndell Wednesday 40:28 Relegation Rangers
    B: Blackbullet 27:44 \_o_/
    C: MOAV 31:40 Grainger Rebels
    C: The Holy Knights 47:49 Rubio Begonias
    D: Beggar 54:57 Machina
    D: Hyde Park Rangers 47:32 Abracadabra
    E: Pox 24:6 Mpasi Monene
    E: Top Shelf 38:16 Maestro FC

Tom Weible's overall leader beggar scores 54 points.... AND LOSE!

Group Standings:
    A: Firefanz (3 pts, +11 GD), Wolf Riders (3 pts, +6), High Plains Ballers (0 pts, -6), Al Ataque VI (0 pts, -11)

B: \_o_/ (3 pts, +17), Rivendell Wednesday (3 pts, +12), Relegation Rangers (0 pts, -12), Blackbullet (0 pts, -17)

C: Grainger Rebels (3 pts, +9), Rubio Begonias (3 pts, +2), The Holy Knights (0 pts, -2), MOAV (0 pts, -9)

D: Hyde Park Rangers (last year's co-champion, btw) (3 pts, +15), Machina (3 pts, +3), beggar (0 pts, -3), Abracadabra (0 pts, -15)

E: Top Shelf (3 pts, +22), Pox (3 pts, +18), Mpasi Monene (0 pts -18), Maestro FC (0 pts, -22)

9. AJ

AJ Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Hilliard, OH
    This Week's Matches

This week's pairings:
    A: Wolf Riders v Al Ataque VI
    A: Firefanz v High Plains Ballers
    B: Rivendell Wednesday v \_o_/
    B: Blackbullet v Relegation Rangers
    C: MOAV v Rubio Begonias
    C: The Holy Knights v Grainger Rebels
    D: beggar v Abracadabra
    D: Hyde Park Rangers v Machina
    E: Pox v Maestro FC
    E: Top Shelf v Mpasi Monene

10. AJ

AJ Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Hilliard, OH
    Since it's already underway, we won't change it this time, BUT...

Since this year's competition is underway, we'll hold to last year's format. However, it occurs to me that this first three weeks of competition will pare only four of the twenty teams from the field... shades of the 1980s NHL.

Perhaps it would have been better to have the five group champions advance directly to the Quarterfinals and then put the six next best records into one-game play offs to win the final three Quarterfinal spots. That would make the first three weeks much more meaningful, paring the field from twenty to eleven.

11. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Sorry, I've been on vacation the last 10 days. I'm working on the update. I'll need to calculate backwards off the division rankings, from this week's scores, to see who led the diviions prior to this week. (Unless someone knows offhand.)

12. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    <b>Brew City News (22-July)</b>
    <p>
    <ul>
    <li><u>Vacation</u>: I've been away from my computer for the last 10 days, so I've just now caught up with the last two weeks' results.
    <p>
    <li><a href="http://www.execpc.com/~pvmiii/brewcity/cupcomp.html#ChampionsLeague">Champions League</a>: There are five groups of four teams. The top two teams in each group, plus the best two third place teams, will advance. Four teams will have a walkover in the first knockout round, while the other eight teams compete for the four remaining quarterfinal spots. Third place teams are not eligible for a walkover. The teams have been seeded according to their MFLS points as of the end of week 17. The teams were grouped so that each group has the same relative strength -- i.e., 1-6-10-14 through 5-10-15-20. The first matches have been conducted. In Group A, beggar 54:44 \_O_/ and Maestro FC 16:45 Firefanz. In Group B, Top Shelf 38:47 Holy Knights and Rubio Begonias 49:44 High Plains Ballers. In Group C, Rivendell Wednesday 40:27 blackbullet and Grainger Rebels 40:24 Pox. In Group D, Wolf Riders 50:6 Mpasi Monene and Hyde Park Rangers 47:28 Relegation Rangers. In Group E, AL ATAQUE VI 34:57 Machina and MOAV 31:32 Abracadabra.
    <p>
    </ul>

Several teams are also in the Cup Winners Cup: \_O_/, Top Shelf, Holy Knights, Rubio Begonias, Rivendell Wednesday, Grainger Rebels, Wolf Riders, and perhaps a few others. If you spot any potential 'doubles' -- where teams play each other in both Cups in the same week -- let me know so I can deconflict.

13. Wendys

Wendys Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Oh Man! I went from winning my Champions League match to losing it! Glad you are back though, Preston!

14. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    Same here... my bright shining victory, what happened to my bright shining victory? And, I'm still trying to figure out how as the 6th seed I got stuck playing the 1st seed (shouldn't the 10th seed get that honor?)...

Nonetheless, any annoyance I feel with such trivialities is over-shadowed by the fact that "I'm just glad to be here".

Thanks for all your work Preston in hosting these competitions. It definitely adds a nice twist to the season to be able to enter a high-caliber competition.

15. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Maybe in the NCAA, but when I seed, I always seed so each group has the same relative strength, so that each team theoretically has the same possibility of going through. I've always done it that way. (Check out the Mug'O'Suds for another example, except it had eight groups, so the seeds were 1-9-17-25 through 8-16-24-32.) The driving philosophy is to keep as many managers interested for as long as possible, instead of stacking the deck for the higher seeded teams. That's also why in all my cups, the knockout stage is a blind draw with no seeding. (Or any finagling, other than to avoid doubling a result between cups, which would be unfair to the losing side.) Thanx for the compliment, though. :)

16. AJ

AJ Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Hilliard, OH
    Welcome back...

Welcome back, Preston!

Unlike sljohn and Wendys, my measly six point week was going to lose to anyone I was drawn against! :(

17. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Doesn't really apply, but just in case ... Top Shelf and I (Rubio Begonias) meet this week in Champ League, and if we both win our first-round Cup-Winners match, we'll meet again there next week.

18. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    It absolutely does matter! :)

Originally you were scheduled to meet in week 20 in the CL, and could have met in the CWC if you both won your first round match. Since a win in one cup would automatically result in a win in the other cup (very unfair), I switched Group B's week 19 and 20 matches. Now, you cannot meet twice in the same week, but may meet two weeks in a row. Nothing wrong with that, and it gives the loser a chance at avenging their honor. :)

19. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Re: Welcome back...

Hey, at least you are not staring back-to-back relegations in the face like my Alewive FC is ...

20. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    <b>Brew City News (29-July)</b>
    <p>
    <ul>
    <li><a href="http://www.execpc.com/~pvmiii/brewcity/cupcomp.html#ChampionsLeague">Champions League</a>: The story of the CL continues to be the Little Team That Could, Abracadabra, the bottom seed, which topped Group E with its second straight win. (This week a convincing 59:38 over fifth-seeded AL ATAQUE VI.) In Group A, Firefanz are through to the knockout rounds with a 49:45 victory over beggar. In Group B, Holy Knights are through after defeating High Plains Ballers 40:34. In Group C, Rivendell Wednesday and Grainger Rebels are both through on six points, but meet each in week 20 to win the group. In Group D, all four teams are even on three points, with only 'goal' differential separating Wolf Riders, Hyde Park Rangers, Relegation Rangers and Mpasi Monene. No team has been eliminated, as all still have a mathematical shot at earning one of the two third place advancement spots. The CL also resumes after the MLS all-star break.
    <p>
    <li><font color=#ff0000><b>All-Star Break</b></font>: There are no real MLS matches this upcoming weekend (August 3), so the next round of MFLS competition will be on August 10. Sorry, but this Wednesday (July 31) matches do not count for any Brew City competitions.
    <p>
    </ul>

21. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Week 21

Champions League: In Group A, Maestro FC defeated beggar 15:10, both teams failing to advance, while \_O_/ defeated Firefanz 28:12. In Group B, Top Shelf 17:13 squeeked through as the best third place side thanx to a narrow 17;13 victory over High Plains Ballers, while Rubio Begonias blasted Holy Knights 20:0, who advanced anyway. At the top of Group C, Rivendell Wednesday -- which is one of the more clever names I've seen -- retained first place, defeating second place Grainger Rebels 26:8. In a struggle of pointless bottom teams, Pox edged blackbullet 10:9. In Group D, in which all four teams were level on three points, separated only by 'goal' difference, Hyde Park Rangers defeated Wolf Riders 7:10, and Mpasi Monene hammered Relegation Rangers 23:1. In Group E, bottom seed Abracadabra finally dropped their first points, getting manhandled by Machina 23:3, while AL ATAQUE VI defeated MOAV 23:15. The following sides advance to the knockout rounds:

Firefanz (Group A, 1st Place)
    \_O_/ (A2)
    Rubio Begonias (B1)
    Holy Knights (B2)
    Top Shelf (B3, best third place side)
    Rivendell Wednesday (C1)
    Grainger Rebels (C2)
    Hyde Park Rangers (D1)
    Mpasi Monene (D2)
    Wolf Riders (D3)
    Machina (E1)
    Abracadabra (E2)

The knockout round draw will be held later this week.

p.s. - Do not ever, ever, ever give any money to CoreComm or Voyager.Net: They blow monkeys.

22. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    The web site is updated.

Voyager.net still mouth whacks Macaques ...

23. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Brew City News (13-Aug)

Champions League: The knockout round draw was held. The top two teams in each group, plus the best two third place teams, advanced. Four teams have a walkover in the first knockout round, while the other eight teams compete for the four remaining quarterfinal spots. Third place teams were not eligible for a walkover. These are the brackets:

\_O_/ (A2) - Grainger Rebels (C2)
    Hyde Park Rangers (D1) - {walkover}
    Abracadabra (E2) - Wolf Riders (D3)
    Rubio Begonias (B1) - {walkover}
    -----
    Mpasi Monene (D2) - Holy Knights (B2)
    Rivendell Wednesday (C1) - {walkover}
    Firefanz (A1) - Top Shelf (B3)
    Machina (E1) - {walkover}

24. Short Corner

Short Corner Member

Jun 28, 2001
    too late for the party

As someone who is playing mfls for the first time and doing well (Real Santa Fe), but never saw information about the Champions league and cup winners cup, could someone explain how these things are organized?

25. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Brew City News (19-Aug)

Champions League: Bottom-seed Abracadabra continued it's amazing run with a 35:23 victory over Wolf Riders. Joining Abracadabra in the quarterfinals are Top Shelf, which hammered Firefanz 42:9, Holy Knights (23:2 over Mpasi Monene), and Grainger Rebels, who backed in by not losing 6:-10 against \_O_/. Advancing with walkovers are Hyde Park Rangers, Rubio Begonias, Rivendell Wednesday, and Machina. The divisions with teams in the quarterfinals are Brew City (2), The Black & The Red, League Of Great Significance, Omega, Casbah, RevMFLS and Fire Season Ticket Holders. Mpasi Monene were the last team from a CrewFan-affiliated division remaining in the Champions League.

http://www.execpc.com/~pvmiii/brewcity/cupcomp.html#ChampionsLeague

Regarding your question, Short Corner, they are something I do on my own to add some flavor and 'realism' (such as it is) to MFLS. Other divisions also sponsor their onw divisional cups. In order to participate in the Cup Winners Cup, you must have won (during the current season) one of those other cup competitions. To participate in the Champions League, you must be leading your division's MFLS table at the cutoff date. (Unlike Europe, the MLFS Champions league takes teams based on the current season, due to the uncertain nature of team's returning the following year.) Divisions are only allowed to send teams to the CL and CWC if the division 'president' (for want of a better word) volunteers to send them. (The only divisions I contact are those I am actually able to contact -- i.e., they have e-mails posted on the division page.)

I also sponsor the Mug'O'Suds, which is an early season invitational.