MFL Question

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Bo650, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Bo650

Bo650 New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    This weekend I went to the Premera "A" match between San Luis and Lobos. I am pretty new to Mexican futbol and am curious about the league set-up. I know that this has probably been discussed about 1,000 times on Big Soccer, but can someone please explain to me what the split season is? After the play-offs is there a 2nd half of the season or are the games over until next August? Any help would be useful.

2. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico has two short seasons, called winter and summer. There are two champions. This system was implemented about 10 years ago when we used to have a more traditional long season and 1 champion. In my opinion, having two short seasons is awful. The honor of being a champion loses it value ...

How did you like the game between San Luis and Lobos by the way ???

3. Bo650

Bo650 New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Thanks for the help!! Do you have any idea when the Winter Season begins? The game was amazing. I had never been to a "real" game before (I went to a Champions World match last summer in Chicago to watch a lot of 2nd team players). The crowd was amazing and the game was excellent, San Luis won 3-2 and clinched the points standings. I am just just starting to get into soccer and this was a great way to start out!

4. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

Apertura y Clausura.

5. Makaveli 13

Makaveli 13 New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    > Used to be called "Invierno" and "Verano" <

6. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The liguilla (playoffs) start this wendesday I think. Its a home and home series with the rematch on the weekend. The next tournament will start probably between mid january to early february. If you liked the experience at the San Luis game, you may want to see if an interliga game will be near where you live. The interliga is a mini tournament to determine 2 Mexican teams that will play in the Copa Libertadores (south american version of the champions league.) It's held in the states. Glad you had a good time at the game !!!

7. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    USED to be called.