MEXICO vs HAITI (Gold Cup Quarterfinals)

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by NCCFBALL, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

hahaha.

he´s ambidextrous in the sense that his crosses with both his feet are equal

2. Ronrris

Ronrris Member+

Feb 13, 2008
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    are you saying that we should also use guardado on the right as well , just to make an enganche???? :confused:
    we have to use our players where they are most efficient

el venado will naturally run all the way down the wing, he wont enganchar and shoot, he will try to beat the defender and make a diagonal cross.

he's no goal scorer, he is there to give passes to goal. but if there is a clear shot then yeah shoot.

3. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    are you aware that Medina, a player with a dominant right foot, is facing right footed defenders on the left side of the field... pause think about it.

So if the aim was to have our players break down the defense by having them shoot more from the outside. He would be _more_ effective playing down the left flank. Thats not necessarily what transpired against Guadalupe. But, recall a wide open Torrado's goal. Shooting with his right foot from the left side of the field and scoring.

4. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    the thing is that guardado has scored from his left on the left side

so why move guardado to the right when hes already scoring with the left?

now venado has sucked left and right :D

hes he even scored for the national team?

5. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM

At times, yes. Guardado has an unbelievable shot. Probably the best on the entire team. It would be a complete waste not to put him in a better position to shoot. And he has played on the right for Aguirre already.

Let us also not forget that they play different positions. Guardado is a midfielder, and Medina is a forward, particularly in the 4-3-3.

Mexico has been painfully predictable on offense. Guardado has been rendered ineffective lately because he is always double teamed, at times triple teamed. They need variantes like this to get more scoring opportunities.

6. quijas

quijas Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Guadalajara, Jalisco
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    thats why gio should be on the right it will let them play from both wings i would also like to see them with only one deffensive mid and one attacking mid(10)bofo or temo or sinha that will not allow the teams to double or triple team them as they will be worried about gio and the 10

temo bofo and sinha have great passing and great at creating goal opertunities

hopefully againt the US we can do this

7. das001

das001 Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Tijuana, BC
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I see nothing wrong with this, on paper that's exactly what he was brought in to do, left or right, he's there to make diagonal crosses to our non existent forwards... I say non-existent because first, he can't learn to lift his head up and try to find someone to cross it to and second because we don't have someone with the abilities to put those in, well, at least we're supposed to but that's another story.

The most frustrating deal with Medina is the fact that with his club he's confident enough to try and clear one even two defenders before he crosses the ball or even better, clears a man, cuts through the middle and makes a play/shoots for a goal (something Gio has been able to do successfully in more than one occasion) but somehow that confidence doesn't travel with him with the NT, either that or can't seem to have the chemistry with someone on the NT to do that, either way, he doesn't cut it and he's been given enough chances, he can stay as a sub maybe, but not a starter.

Of course, given the situation with Vela, he's going to start which is not something extraordinarily bad, but still.

8. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    because his pointless step over and run with your head down as fast as you can to the end line routine doesn´t work internationally for him, which is pretty much what he´s done all his career.

luckily for him he was better at running really fast and really aimlessly than marco parra.

9. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Alright, I've been even known to do some Medina-bashing from time to time, but saying he's like Lucho??:D
    Honestly, I'd rather see Medina as a second forward (using both sidelines), and Gio on the right (and while we're at it, Barrera on the left, though I like the ability to bring him off the bench).
    Whether it's Medina, Gio, Barrera, or someone else, the point is that if we don't have any target forwards (as I keep on hearing everywhere), then we need to be able to shoot from the outside, at which point someone who can break back and shoot with their strong foot is preferred to someone who can get off a good cross.

I wouldn't put Guardado on the right, though as TexMex mentioned, Aguirre already tried, as did Hugo.

Aguirre, like each of the previous coaches, is testing players, to see which ones meet his requirements for the team, and in most cases it takes many, many games to weed players out, and find players to keep. In addition, for Aguirre, this means players who leave it all on the field. He doesn't want headless chickens, but as long as they are being somewhat productive, he'll keep them. That's why you see Torrado as captain, and other players playing.

That's all great, and will help us qualify to the WC because of the talent level in Concacaf. What worries me is that being "somewhat productive" against Concacaf opponents means nothing when facing quality opponents at the WC.

But I'm going to ignore my last paragraph, because there's nothing I can do, and because Vergara asked me to stop criticizing for a month. I'll just hope Aguirre finds several "Barreras" during his grace period.

10. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    i may go to the game depending on if there are still tickets available friday. probably will walk there, driving in that area without a game is bad enough. you may see me on television as i will make it a goal to throw anything and everything at venado medina, beer, chair, baby, whatever i can get my hands on.

11. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've been wondering why Mexico has been absolutely unable to get any through passes to forwards until the Guadeloupe game... not enough good runs like the one where we scored against Panama.

12. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Poor Venado Medina..:D
    He'll be playing dodge ball instead trying to dodge those gadgets thrown at him :D

13. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Screw the chairs!! He better watch out for plastic cups!!

1 person likes this.
  14. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    just throw at teh end line.

can´t miss him.

15. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    not to mention, his head will be down at all times so he won't see it coming

1 person likes this.
  16. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

i was about to post that.

does venado have an outside shot?

does he know what it´s like to not run to endline?

and good crosses?

not consistently

also, his headless chicken act shouldn´t be showcased on teh nt anymore.

17. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ahh let me tell you I consider this good times. When we are down to only critiqueing (constructively) only one player's performances and merits mostly, it means El Tri is on the right track.

Medina just needs to start cutting in more to shoot instead of running down the wing. I'm hoping Carrillo and Aguirre have the fort sight to point it out to him.

I also believe Venado's crosses will be more fruitful with Guille Franco on the pitch. Here's a guy who has a knack for winning 50/50 balls in the air.

18. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What I would like to see is Mexico taking shots whenever we can. Sometimes we try to find an opening and holding the ball for too long.

It's impressive what a long shot can do. Torrado's goal completely took the portero off-guard. Long shots we did resulting in goles:
    1) I. Castro vs trinidad
    2) Bravo vs Uruguay (CA 2007)
    3) Guardado vs Uruguay (CA 2007)
    4) Pardo vs Honduras
    5) Pardo vs Guadeloupe (CO 2007)
    6) Torrado vs Iran (friendly 2007)

19. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Its our midfield. They can't do their job so our forwards have to come back and bring the ball up instead of making runs.

20. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree so much. This is the part I hate the most about our team, they rarely try the long shot. As you pointed out, usually the GK is not expecting it and also when he does block it he usually punches it out or it bounces off of him and we can get a loose ball in the box that might land in front of one of our guys. A lot can happen from long shots......really wish we would shoot more from long distance. Remember the goal of Torrado vs Ecuador in WC02.....great shot.

21. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I believe Guardado can do that. The kid can shoot. Imagine if he could do that Cristiano Ronaldo's goal vs Porto......:rolleyes:

22. Ecclesiastes2003

May 30, 2003
    No kidding...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_24I51ZbETg"]YouTube - Andres Guardado Golazos Atlas vs América Futbol Mexicano[/ame]

23. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That was one killer gol the second one by Guardado...Not even Memo could stop that....

In this Copa Oro squad I believe we have Torrado and Dos Santos who can really kick powerful long shots. Maybe we can score long shots on less experienced Haiti...I bet the portero would caught-off guard.
    My prediction Mexico vs Haiti: 2-0

One long shot by a defender / mid, one Gol de cabeza.

24. ElRebañoSagrado

Apr 25, 2009
    Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lol does anyone know how many times Ochoa got bombarded by Guardado?

25. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wish Guardado could get his sh*t back together. He hasn't scored in a while with one of the long shots.

Guardado owning Alves... I love this play at minute 1:33

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-S1-EQXveQ#t=1m33s"]YouTube - Sevilla VS Depor de Guardado[/ame]