Mexicans and Mexican Americans in MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by voros, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    By the way, they call Daniel Hernandez "Daniel Demetrio" on the Galavision broadcasts of Necaxa games. I guess they're used to reading the matronymic last and going to the name one before it, which in this case is his middle name, Demetrio, not his patronymic. Just a guess.

Against Cruz Azul, they essentially called him "some guy they picked up from the US" in a rather quizzical fashion (as if to say, 'why the hell would they do that?')

In MLS, he was a sometime starter at D-mid known for his passing skill and free kick ability. In the LMF, he's a big, rugged back line defender who wins a lot of head balls--and is also a sometime starter.

All a matter of perspective, I guess, but it gives you an idea of how talents and skills are evaluated much differently in Mexico.

I just hope Chivas USA also imports some of that fine Mexican goalkeeping on display every week in the LMF ;)

2. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think about the chances of Chivas getting Rimando. I know it's not for another year but Doug Warren doesn't look that bad and Rimando would be a big "allocation" type player for Chivas. Also factor in the rumor the Ray Hudson may not go back to DC next season. I may be a little off but it seems to me that Nick is a favorite of Ray's since his time in Miami, not that Nick isn't one of the best keepers in the league.

Just a thought.

3. SpongeBobSquarePants

Jun 18, 2003
    Silver Spring
    Doug Warren ain't looked all that good either. IMHO, Rimando has done OK this year after a pretty poor start. I expect a lot of changes at DCU, but I'd think Rimando is one of the untouchables.

4. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Nov 20, 2000
    New York City
    I believe Guillermo Gonzalez parents are from El Salvador. Can anyone confirm this?

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Au contraire, mon frere...

I totally agree w/ the spirit of your quote, that ideally nobody should bother to scrutinize ethnicity.

But no matter what documentation you have, you still have (sadly) ppl that treat you differently, such as some ppl on BS who conveniently forget that many US Latinos are either citizens (like ALL Puerto Ricans) or legal residents. Some are illegal residents, but they're still consumers w/ potential to support MLS, the premier league in their country of residence.

As per the whole Mexican-American, Chicano identity, ouch, I wouldn't go there b/c it is quite a thorny issue. I say let the individual choose the appelation that most suits them. Many ppl prefer to call themselves American and others prefer Chicano, b/c they feel neither American' nor 'Mexican'. That's the struggle w/ this complex group: the individual's relationship to the 2 "homelands" that are insufficient to describe who they are...

6. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    You're right in Daniel Hernandez being called "Demetrio" by "El Perro" Bermundez.

But, let me assure you --and I have seen every Necaxa game-- at no time the Televisa people have being derogatory or sarcastic on their comments about Daniel.

He is being taken as a serious, young, skilled, tough and promising soccer player.

I couldn't speak for Daniel, but I'm sure he is enjoying his stay at Aguascalientes --I lived there as a student-- and meeting a lot of "beautiful senoritas", some of the most pretty in Mexico...

7. robviii

robviii Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Chicago
    wrong.

8. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Actually he is right the United States does not recognize dual citizenship.

9. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Uh yeah. He's right in the sense that a tape worm is neither tape nor a worm and that a puff adder can neither puff nor add.

However, if someone chooses to be called a Mexican-American, despite American citizenship, I don't see any problem with that.

10. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Actually you can have dual citizenship, but the United States Government will not recognize that status. Anyhow, I was really making an issue about hyphenated Americans.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only have dual citizenship if you are a minor.

Once you reach adulthood, US citizenship laws require you to renounce any other citizenship to retain US citizenship.

It's not really ever enforced though.