Mexican Smack, Courtesy GK Oswaldo Sanchez

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by flux82, Jul 13, 2005.

1. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    I wear boxers, actually. ;)

2. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the Mexican 'keeper talk ALL he wants!! He's, obviously, in denial about what's going to occur in Columbus on Labor Day weekend!!

MY main concern is not some rantings & ravings from a third-rate keeper but what kind of "dirty fouling tactics" will be employed by the Mexies, when they start losing & get frustrated!! They are known for being the WORST of "sore losers."

I CAN'T WAIT for Sept. 3 & the next installment of the "CONCACAF WAR"!!!

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a big difference between a general "we can win the whole thing" and calling out someone by name.

4. ac1962

ac1962 Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Punta Cana
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Galaxyfan?

That alone explains how much you know about soccer, Third rate keeper? Check out FIFA's Confederations cup rating on Oswaldo Sanchez.

5. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely third-rate...behind Keller and whoever we bring in as Keller's backup.

6. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Fair enough. :)

Yes. The player is then saying that they can beat everyone instead of bothering to name all 31 possible opponents. It's irrelevant who they are, they can beat any one of them. :D I get your point - but you are trying to find any reason to be worked up over what could conceivably be nothing at all. Again, it's possible that there was more to what he said but the press simply chose not to print it. I for one don't believe the quote was provided in its entirety.

The thing is... what does it matter anyway? He should feel that the USA won't be a problem, and he should feel that his team should beat them. Doesn't mean it'll actually happen. Mexico is a good team and they push themselves to be better like most other teams. They know that they lost to the USA in the World Cup. They know that they lost to the USA in some friendlies. But they also know that they beat teams that are heads and shoulder's better than the USA, and beat those teams/ obtain results against them on a far more frequent basis than the USA does. Like I said, Brazil respected Mexico, but the players felt they 'shouldn't be any problem'. Well, that obviously wasn't the case.

No-one in their right mind expects that he or his teammates will come into the match with a lax attitude. But I understand - a few fans want to have something to cling to for motivation, so knock yourselves out. :cool:

7. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA

I guess when I think of "respect" for another team i think of striking ability, defense, midfield, goalkeeping, team-play, the list goes on...I don't think "I respect this team so I won't throw piss bags at the players"

If you respect a team that means you acgnolage their level of play is good. If it is less than yours there is less or no respect. ex. sentence..."Bruce Arena's lack of RESPECT for Cuba led him to send out USA's B-team."

I don't follow boxing, but mohammed ali's claim to fame as far as psyching his opponent out was not "I repect you, but I'll beat you no problem"

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

...I much prefer the English version of this...."don't get your knickers in a twist over it "....

9. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    :rolleyes: I knew it was a matter of time...

You're assuming to know what Sanchez meant, and that this really was the entire quote. For the fifth time now, most likely the quote was taken out of context or manipulated. Again, I understand that maybe you and some other fans simply grasp at this as a motivation. So be it, I understand that. I'm just saying that this isn't so uncommon in sport to see this.

The bottom line is, who really cares? You can say you respect your opponent. You can also say you should beat them without a problem. Or... you say nothing of respect and then that 'we should beat them no problem'. Or you can say... "i respect them" and nothing afterwards. But to me, if someone says they respect their opponents, it is pretty much implied that they're ackowledging what their opponent is capabable of. Jees... I don't know how else to literally explain each and every single word of this... Most likely there was mroe in the quote along the lines of 'if we play the way we are capable of playing and do 'x', 'y' and 'z' to them..."

Watched the videos but didn't follow the career, eh? :D Do you think that Mohammed Ali didn't respect his opponents? Maybe we have different definitions of the term 'respect'. IMO, to disrespect an opponent would have been if Ali didn't train at all, didn't study at all, didn't work at all and just walked into the ring after talking $hit, and didn't even really acknowledge his opponents ability. Of course that didn't happen; if it had he probably would have lost a lot more. He was great at playing head-games with his opponenents and taking them out. But if he didn't respect them or have any clue as to what they were capable of, why would he have even bothered? Right - he wanted that extra edge. Read between the lines. ;) Sometimes 'respect' doesn't have to be acknowledged by the words 'i respect you'. Sometime's it's acknowledged by your opponents dedication to finding ways to beat you as they understand, again, what you are capable of.

I mean, look at it this way. How did Mexico train before the match in Azteca? Had they trained like that in the past before facing the USA? That tells me they know that the USA is not a team that they can roll out of bed and beat. On the other hand, if he really wanted to trash talk, there are many more scathing things he could have said and alluded to.

Touche! I just Americanized it. LOL

10. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    Let's agree to disagree.

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Well, apparently the Mexicans had a little more trouble than Oswaldo Sanchez expected. They lose 2-1 to Colombia. They also contributed one of the most classless moments of a highly classless tournament when a Colombian player pulled up lame chasing the ball and instead of kicking it out of bounds, the Mexicans decided to attack the goal. Wonderful sportsmanship there.

12. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    And that was a fair result.

13. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Did you read the article? Sanchez, who by the way ain't playing in this tournament was talking about the U.S. and Costa in the context of playing them in upcoming World Cup Qualifying. He never mentioned any expectations for a Mexican side who isn't fielding thier best team in a tournament that isn't taken seriously.

That said, Oswaldo Sanchez should indeed worry, because it's obvious from this Gold Cup that Mexico is seriously lacking in depth and a few key injuries to their A-team players could lead to an embarrassment for Mexico in Germany next year.

14. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you expect from the "classless" Mexies??!!

15. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I don't think that was the entire quote. But whatever people want to believe, fair enough.

16. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I hope this clown starts on Sept. 3 so we can chant "Dirty Sanchez" at him.

17. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    yeah, that'll make sense

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    An "R" in the thread?