mewis' goal - any wnt meaning?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Sep 19, 2018.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #1 luvdagame, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    not the first time I've seen her score from outside the box

she can also send exquisite passes into the area.

when the same player can do both those things, won't parking the bus and bunkering against the u.s. be problematic?

is there another midfielder who can do both those things well?

2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need to sell me on Sam. I believe her and JJ start in the middle in 9 months.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've really not been a fan of Horan in the past. I've felt it should be Mewis and JJ. Now I'm starting to think Horan, Mewis, and JJ is how I would go. Though certainly anything can happen in 9 months.

Just please don't play Lloyd.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If she can have a consistent shot from there it's huge. She hasn't shown that yet but her game is improving each year.

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I've always thought we should shoot from distance more often. It makes bunkering teams open up and our forwards are quick enough to pounce on a rebound.

jackdoggy and kernel_thai repped this.
  6. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To my knowledge, we've just never had anyone with a consistent outside shot. Sure, we've had some that can make it sometimes. But if you're missing 90% of them and 9% more are getting saved then is it worth it?

If Mewis (or anyone) can make that shot with just slightly higher probability then it'd be huge.

7. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It was a damn fine shot. Lloyd always was a threat from outside. Heather O'Reilly got nominated for the Puskas with her outside shot in WC 2015. Dunn and Press can shoot from outside, as can Horan. We have historically had some great outside shooters. We'll see who can step to the fore this time around. Shots from outside the box are not a strategy to be relied upon though, just a necessary threat to have at all times.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *WC 2011

jnielsen repped this.