MetroStars who Succeeded Outside of New York

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by JayDelight729, Apr 19, 2006.

1. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
  2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

We're so glad to be of service.

3. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you trying to kill me? What the hell did I ever do to you?

Why didn't you just print this in book form - it's probably more pages than the Bible at this point.

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thornton and Z-Man definitely, but Moreno and Razov just happened to suck for the limited periods they were here. They were good before Metro, they were good after Metro.

If I had to put together a top five:

1. Thornton - we let go for free a GK who would still be our #1, nine years later.
    2. Tony Meola - had his career-making MVP season the year after we traded him.
    3. Ricardo Clark - the guy's a beast now, fully recovered from his 2nd-year injuries.
    4. Zavagnin - the most inexplicable head-shaking "WTF?" circumstance of instant talent improvement ever, in any country, in any sport. I've heard people say "I can't believe we let Zavagnin go!", but that's just revisionist history. The guy sucked here. The day he walked on to the field in a Nats jersey, my head exploded.
    5. Brad Davis - Definitely deserved more time here. If I remember correctly, this trade for Dallas's first-rounder turned into Mike Magee. No offense to Magee, but wouldn't you rather have Davis right now?

5. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004

You can say that Zach Thornton & Kerry Zavagnin have Successful Careers out side the Metros, but Moreno never was a Metros "de corazon" and Tim Regan & Ante Razov after two midiocre couple games, calling that a success is joke

6. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For conciseness reasons, this really should have been "MetroStars who didn't Succeed Outside of New York", which would have been only slightly shorter than the pamphlet on "Famous Jewish Athletes" [/obscure "Airplane" joke]

7. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    Didn't we have a young forward that we didn't play early on who ended up going to England after us and playing very well there? This was a few years ago.

8. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's not obscure

9. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to cover my bases. I know there's a few people on here who have no sense of humor whatsoever. :)

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Did Zavagnin ever play anything but right back for the Metros? That's the problem right there. He never got played in the middle.

11. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be thinking of Shaun Bartlett, who couldn't get significant playing time here but went to FC Zurich and is now starting (?) at Charlton.

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't tell you. I, like most other people, was too busy yelling "you suck, Zavagnin" to pay attention to the exact position at which he was sucking.

13. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    Bingo.

14. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I thought it was that he was not playing in his preferred position -- that he wanted to be a forward and the team wanted him at center mid.

15. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ
    A few more for the list, maybe, Mark Chung, although he never really lit the world on fire in Colorado, he was still one of the leagues more consistant, solid players. D Hernendez, turned into a tough D-mid after being traded to the Revs, even played in Mexican league. T. Howard, thought not currently starting has won the FA Cup and Goalkeeper of the year award in England with the best yet to come. Any others?

16. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    Mark Chung
    Andy Williams

17. Jim Andreano

Jim Andreano New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    If the author of the article can include Regan and Razov as three-game "successes", then I'll add Cornell Glen.

18. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Almost every MLS team forum has had a similar thread. The fact is, 99% of former Metros either continued sucking, actually got worse (Mathis) or just disappeared off the face of the earth (Rodrigo Faria anybody?).

19. Boreal

Boreal Member

Apr 11, 2001
    CT