Metrostars Vs. San Jose In-match/ Post Match [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Metro_tico, Oct 5, 2003.

1. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I would call this season for Jolley a career year. The most goals he has scored in a season is two.

1998 & 1999 for the Galaxy.

When he was traded to the Metro in 2000 he scored two for us. Against Chicago & in Colorado at the old Mile High Stadium

So this season he has scored four helped on one. Also if you want to count US Open Cup goals. He has 5 goals.

Jolley Well Done.

2. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I predicted the Metros "blowout" win: :)

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=1660711#post1660711

Some thoughts:

1) Wynalda changed his opinions so many times during the match, for a second I thought he was really Condoleeza Rice.

Who whispered in his earpiece to take back the comment with seconds left in the match about Donovan deserving a red? Also, he called a trip on Guevara near midfield a "definite" foul and then back-tracked.

2) Good suggestions about starting the second unit against Dallas, but in the NBA, they have fined coaches and GM's for not starting star players at the end of the season. I wonder how Garber and his cronies would react if the Metros pull this.

3) With Clint out, it was nice of Donovan to volunteer to take his place and behave like a prick. Since it was out of character for him, the only thing that I can think of is that they gave out 10,000 Donovan t-shirts to the fans, so maybe he was a bit more juiced than he normally would be.

Since there weren't 10,000 fans, how do I get an extra LD shirt?

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it would be fitting.

Late in the season in '97 or '98 or whatever, the Metros were having a crap season, the Burn were visiting, and Dave Dir rolled out a "B" team for a game on the Giants Stadium astroturf after the grass had been removed for the season. According to Dir, that lineup was more experienced playing on the astroturf from playing indoor soccer. The Burn won 1-0, but after the game, Dir got into a shouting match with Sunil Gulati, who was angry that the Burn didn't play their best players for that game.

So it would only be fitting if the Metros rolled out a "B" team against the Burn on Saturday night. And you'll still win. Anyone who saw the Burn's game against New England last Saturday night will tell you that the Burn basically quit in the second half.

4. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/soccer/6944202.htm

Man, do I lose a lot of respect for Donovan after the blatant lie he throws out here:

"In the 77th minute, Donovan made Guevara pay for holding the ball too long in the MetroStars' end of the field.

``That was just frustration,'' said Donovan, who was cautioned for a late slide tackle. ``He had it coming anyway. If you dance around like that, you're going to get hit. When he was down, in Spanish, I told him I had to do it.''

If you dance around like that?? The corner kick swung across the box and out to the side, and Guevara gave it one touch to the outside before getting scythed down by Donovan.

Go to Germany, Landon. Try that over there and see what you 'have coming'.

5. Soccer C

Soccer C New Member

May 6, 2001
    NY
    The best part was after Jolley scored when he put his hand to his ear - like Donovan always does when the crowd gets quiet after he scores.

Wynalda was also pretty funny when he said something to the effect of: If this were the other way around and the Metros were down 2-0, I'd say this game wasn't over. But now, it's over.

6. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Nov 20, 2000
    New York City
    When did you guys saw this game?

Was this game on TV at at different time from scheduled?

As per my Tivo, the game was on at 2am this morning on ESPN2, but when I tried to watch it this morning, they showed something else.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [/i][​IMG]

Looks like they kissed and made up. Can't we all do the same? :)

8. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Frustration? So makes it okay? He had to do it? This is supposed to the poster boy for US soccer? At least Clint apologizes for getting frustrated. What an Arsehole!

9. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    My favorite line is "If you dance around like that, you're going to get hit." I'd say that's a free call to any defender in MLS to hit Donovan when he "dances around".

10. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Pope is Monstrous on most nights and while I did not see the game (TIVO schedule F-up) I'll take you word on his assisting Jolley. But that's how teams work, and why I'm going to agree that Jolley deserves a call from Bruce. The Pope/Jolley combo is a good one, they've got good chemistry. Which counts for a lot.

I'd love to see Pope working with Jolley at the international level. Jolley certainly has the ability to match say a Vanney or Gibbs...

GO METROS

11. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC

it'll be interesting to see chicago's attitude to their game with the crew

if they'll give a rest to their key players then we should do the same