MetroStars @ Columbus - postgame [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Partizan_fc, May 31, 2003.

1. Partizan_fc

Partizan_fc New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    New York City
    Scoring Summary:

CLB -- Jeff Cunningham 4 (Ross Paule 1, Freddy Garcia 1) 34
    MET -- Clint Mathis 5 (penalty kick) 64

MetroStars -- Tim Howard, Craig Ziadie, Steve Jolley, Eddie Pope (Kenny Arena 45), Joey DiGiamarino, Ricardo Clark, Amado Guevara, Richie Williams, Mark Lisi (Jose Galvan 58), Clint Mathis, Mike Magee (John Wolyniec 90).

Substitutes Not Used: Paul Grafer, Tim Regan.

TOTAL SHOTS: 15 (Amado Guevara 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 8 (Amado Guevara 4); FOULS: 18 (3 tied with 3); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 5 (Amado Guevara 5); SAVES: 8 (Tim Howard 8)

Columbus Crew -- Jon Busch, Frankie Hejduk, Mike Clark, Chad McCarty, Daniel Torres, Ross Paule, Kyle Martino (Diego Walsh 90), Duncan Oughton (Brian Dunseth 90), Freddy Garcia (Brian West 69), Brian McBride, Jeff Cunningham.

Substitutes Not Used: Nelson Akwari, Edson Buddle, Eric Denton, Brian Maisonneuve, Tom Presthus, Jake Traeger.

TOTAL SHOTS: 20; SHOTS ON GOAL: 9 (Jeff Cunningham 6); FOULS: 21 (Ross Paule 4); OFFSIDES: 1 (Jeff Cunningham 1); CORNER KICKS: 8 (Ross Paule 8); SAVES: 7 (Jon Busch 7)

Misconduct Summary:
    MET -- Mark Lisi (caution; Reckless Foul) 13
    MET -- Steve Jolley (caution; Professional Foul) 65
    CLB -- Brian McBride (caution; Reckless Foul) 84
    CLB -- Jon Busch (caution; Dissent) 90
    CLB -- Chad McCarty (caution; Reckless Foul) 97

Referee: Jair Marrufo
    Referee's Assistants: -Francisco Sanchez; Bill Dittmar
    4th Official: Mikael Lundqvist
    Attendance: 12,518
    Time of Game: 2:08
    Weather: Cloudy-and-57-degrees

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

So lucky to get out of town with a point.

My vote for man of the match was the referee, whoever he was. Gave us so many calls after that penalty.

3. gabe

gabe New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    NJ
    i agree 100% there, the ref was there; however, i feel tht he was balancedly (is that even a word) unfair to both teams cuz there were som that i shouted at my TV of how he can call one metro foul after letting a previous one go... anyways my man of the match goes to Guevara and honorable mention without a doubt goes to Mike Magee cause he never played a better match as far as his dribbling game is concerned...... i never pulled my hair out after he missed that shot in the 87th min

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    you guys are smoking crack.

if not for timmy howard cunningham would have had about 3 more goals.

your MOTM was howard without question.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I was following the match report on MLSnet and it seemed like the Metro had the most chances in the last 60 and Columbus seems more lucky to have survived with a point. But I didn't SEE the match so...

6. Goalkeeps7

Goalkeeps7 Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Lucky to get a point.

Play got better as the game went on. However that's probably just because the Crew lost some energy.

Digi got incredibly outplayed. Martino made him his b*tch, good move by Col. to put him out on the wing. Digi looked out of place, confused, and like a chicken with his head cut off.

Howard. 2 breakaway saves, and another huge one on Cunningham. Cunningham could have had 4 goals.

Got a tie, even though we played like garbage. Good luck. Things are gonna get tougher without timmy pope + mathis. It'll be interesting to see what happens, and also interesting to see what happens when everyone gets back(can they start playing well together quickly)

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Arena: Did just about everything he was supposed to do. I didn't think he had it in him.

8. gabe

gabe New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    NJ
    you have a point... ill take my comment back and give man of the match honors to Howard; but honorable mention still goes to Magee i dont think any1 can deny that he never had such a good dribbing game

9. L127

L127 New Member

Oct 9, 1999
    NYC
    Kenny Arena!!?? Tough time to have to take the field. We're lucky it was not a blow out. Another vote for Timmy.

10. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    Agree on your first statement, but disagree on your second statement. Tim Howard is the reason of the draw, not the ref. Keep in mind the ref didn't call that blatant handball either, which would have given us the win.

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

You know what? Howard does so great for us game after game I forgot he was there at the end. Or perhaps our field players just plain sucked tonight it drowned out his performance.

12. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Mr. Marrufo? Worst performance of a ref I've seen in MLS so far this year. Missed 2 clear PK calls (to be fair, one for each team), and let play get way too physical without booking anyone early. Also, didn't card McCarty for his strangling of Tim howard, and carded McBride for a foul that was way less severe than some that weren't even called as fouls, much less yellows.

Cunningham was MOTM, he had us beat all night, Jolley in particular. He seemed to be able to get behind the defense at will, even when he had possession of the ball. The defense was suffering even with Pope, but suffered more without him. If not for three great saves by Howard coming off his line, it would have been a blowout.

As for the Metros, here are my impressions:

Howard - 7 - couldn't do a thing about the goal, made many great saves
    DiGiamarino - 3 - horrible ball distribution and stupid fouls: seems to be becoming a trend.
    Pope - 5.5 - rock solid again until the injury
    Arena (45) - 4.5 - one atrocious mistake that should have been a Columbus goal, otherwise decent for a guy that couldn't have expected to play this much
    Jolley - 4 - too often got outrun or was out of position
    Ziadie - 5 - should push forward more
    Williams - 5 - didn't seem to team up as well with Clark as he has been doing recently
    Clark - 5.5 - continues to impress, but relies on his footwork too much and needs to work on his passing
    Guevara - 7.5 - great set piece, draws a PK, and some inspired passing once again: he'll have to carry the team through the next 2 months. MOTM for Metro.
    Lisi - 5.5 - needs to get wide more, or drop back and let Ziadie move forward in the attack
    Galvan (58) - 5 - seems very professional, needs more time to get in the mix.
    Mathis - 7 - 5 goals in 5 games, can't argue. deserved to take the PK after working to set up the chance.
    Magee - 4 - really needs to start finishing chances. was invisible the entire first half.
    Wolyniec (90) - 4.5 - invisible in extra time

13. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Horribly officiated match. Wouldn’t be qualified to ref an Under 8 match. Don't remember seeing him before.

It was admirable that the Metros didn’t go into a defensive shell after tying the game. Most teams will play for the tie on the road, but it was great to see them pushing up for a potential game-winner.

Here’s my summary:

Tim Howard (9)- Made all the big saves. Got clotheslined in OT and not even a card issued.

Amado Guevara (7.5)- His play drew the penalty kick. Almost scored on the swerving free-kick. A true field general.

Jose Galvan (7)- The complexion of the game changed when he came in. Much quicker to get rid of the ball than in his first match.

John Wolyniec (6.5)- Did well in the short time he was in there. Showed how to get revenge without the ref seeing it. The McCarthy trip was a definite red card. Most players let their tempers get the best of them…..John used his brain (or perhaps his elbow).

Clint Mathis (6.5)- More involved in the 2nd half. His chip pass to Guevara created the penalty.

Eddie Pope (6.5)- Had trouble with Cunningham and McBride even before his injury.

Mike Magee (6)- Disappeared for large portions of the match, but came alive in the 2nd half. Got Faria-itis on the ball he chested down which he shanked.

Ricardo Clark (6)- Seems like he lost his dribble more in this game than ever before.

Kenny Arena (6)- How bad is Juan Forschetti if Kenny is ahead of him on the substitute list?

Joey DiGiamarino (5.5)- Settled down in the 2nd half after a shaky 1st half.

Mark Lisi (5.5)- Seems like he shriveled like a prune after receiving the yellow card.

Steve Jolley (4)- Lucky the ref didn’t call a penalty kick on the Cunningham trip and when he grabbed his shirt in the first half. Usually does well against speedy players but not tonight.

Craig Ziadie (4)- Clearly his worst match of the season. He got turned around on Cunningam’s goal.

By the way, was this the first time Johnnie Walker has sponsored a MetroStar match? Seemed like JP mentioned them every 5 minutes. Perhaps a hint of our keeper replacement? ;)

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

It's funny, I didn't know what rating to give him, I hardly noticed him at all tonight.

15. gabe

gabe New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    NJ
    I have two things that i want to say, and i do not mean to change the subject:

a. I swear Shep Messing is turning into y Keough; Shep was terrible!!! was he even watching the same game as we were??? one thing that pissed me off about him is when mcbride got the yellow for clipping galvan i think it was and Messing said "o mcbride barely touched him and doesnt deserve the yellow" when the replay was just as brutal as the real fould that got him the card.

b. I take my hat off to Preki who scored 2 goals to help KC tie down 0-2 in the first half against NE; NE was held off the full 3 pts when the metros got only one

16. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Metros were lucky to get a point. In my opinion, Jolley should've been sent off for tucking Cunningham's jersey (last man), and Magee's jersey was also pulled, and that deserved a call. When Lisi got a yellow, a Columbus player deserved one as well (I think it was Hejduk). The referee was not upto par at all, if you guys take all those incidents into account. Sry Lol
    Clark was awful for a good portion of the match.
    Overall the Metros were sloppy. I mean they didn't get much offense going anyways, but at least they could've tried to be solid defensively. A quick and skilled player like Cunningham shouldn't be given as much room as he had on his goal. The best way to mark a player like that, is give yourself a couple of steps back, since he's got quick feet--if he notices you stutter-steppin', you're done. Happened to Jolley a couple of times.

17. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    That ref must have come right from the WWE.

He gives McBride a yellow for a tap on Gavan
    Misses a blatant shirt tug in the box
    Doesn't call the clothesline on Howard
    Doesn't call the PK for Jolleys take down on Cunningham
    Too many others to list...

18. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    The first half was dreadful. The second half was a little better. I would like to see Wolnyacacacac in a little earlier to force a reaction by the opposing team (not a big fan of his, but he gets it done). I thought Digi was horrible. Clark is great, but needs to drop off the ball earlier. It was great when Guevera was subbed in at half time (;-)).

Columbus is a great squad with amazing depth up front. Too bad they can't beat us.

McCarthy is a thug. I am never happy to see an injury, but couldn't help smiling when he came up bloody.

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    dude look around, everyone and their mothers are saying that was a rediculous yellow, looking at the replay i don't even think mcbride was the one that caught his leg to make him go down, it looked like mcbride totally missed him with this swing...

20. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you imagine if that imbecile McCarty would have seriously injured Howard?

"Hey Chad you got a check for $3 million you can send to Uncle Phil?"

Also, I'm sure Tim would have been pleased to be denied a chance to play for ManU for a million plus a year, due to the antics of Captain Hacktastic.

What kind of blind bastard keeps his cards in his pockets there? That one was all red.

21. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mike McGee is gonna be a force in couple years.

22. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    the referee was definetly not at his best tonight. THat guy who practically choked tim howard late into the game should have bin slapped and sent off.

Mcgee should have scored but he was good too. Late to recover and a few missed chances but i'am satisfied with the result.

23. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Chad McCartey

He was the same guy who Wolyniec clocked with an elbow-- after W was himself clattered with a really nasty and possibly ejection-worthy foul.

24. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    That was a surprise he did pretty well. His passing wasn't bad either.

25. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCarty should punished, in part because of what he did to Howard, and in part because the league needs to prevent players (ahem, Wolnyiec) from thinking that they need to enforce the rules. Elbows can cause serious damage, and should not be thrown, as Tab Ramos can attest.

As for the game, the Metros looked lost offensively for most of it. The amazing thing about Mathis is that even when the team plays like crap, he can still earn points.