Metros vs. the Cow People 7/31- Pre game thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by jamison, Jul 30, 2002.

1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    July 31st, Metro vs. Crew, 7:30 PM at GS.

Last game before the all-star break. Chance to go into the break in first place and with a winning record.

Chicago hosts DC United- the worst team in the league- so they can pretty much count on 3 points there (DC is 0-8-1 on the road, or something like that, I can't find the current stat). We need to win this game.

Key players out:

Columbus: M John Wilmar Perez (sprained MCL-L)

MetroStars: D Marcelo Balboa (knee bone bruise-R), M Brad Davis (partial tear, plantar fascia-L), M/F Clint Mathis (torn meniscus & sprained MCL-R), M Tab Ramos (torn hamstring-L)

Tomorrow's forecast is 94 and mostly sunny, so plan on it being something like 88 or so at kickoff.

discuss.

2. Indoor Recess

Indoor Recess New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Hanover, NH
    We're missing Balboa, Mathis, and Ramos?

I wonder what our team is going to look like

3. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Have you been watching any games lately?

4. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    S-A-R-C-A-S-M

I guess smiley faces are necessary on ever tongue in cheek post.......

5. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    The Crew's defense is as pathetic as ours. If Diallo is completely healthy and having a good game we could have a goalfest. I predict a 4-3 outcome with the Metros on top.

6. smith

smith New Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Yes, Metros win 4-3. Diallo scores 4 for Metro (all on Andy Williams' assists) while Petke nails three own goals to keep the Crew close. In the closing seconds, Petke is on the verge of a 4th own goal to tie it when he is red carded for mooning the linesman on a close call. Petke acts stunned that he is carded & punches the ref in the mouth, proudly announcing after the match that he has decided to put his money where his mouth is with his Stop the Violence campaign and join a monestary. This move away from the team catapults them to an undefeated record the rest of the season and an MLS championship.

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    HAHAHAHAHHAAHHA!!!!! That is some of the funniest shite i read all day. Maybe cause I can actually envision it happening.

8. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COLUMBUS MASSIVE

all will be seen in due time

9. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Metrostars.com has Diallo listed as probable from his leg injury... I think we should rest him and also hold him out of the All Star game.... his finishing is just too important for us for the home stretch of the season and the Open Cup. We'll see the Crew 2 more times after Wed., not too much would be missed by skipping one and a half games...the half being the All Star match.

Tonight's match would be a nice time to slip Sheppard in with Faria and see what skills this new lad has.... he didn't do all that much in last weekend's meltdown, but he did enough of the simple things to earn another look.

10. Soccer C

Soccer C New Member

May 6, 2001
    NY
    He was never IN the all star game.

I just hope we can muster up a good effort.

11. metrosarenumberone

metrosarenumberone New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Landing, NJ
    I saw F U C K Mike Petke and bench him because he will jus let us down. they should just ship him down to the a-league and he might just learn how to play soccer again.

12. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    [​IMG]

Cow People?

We have been too busy worrying about how MLS is gonna make us give DogCrapUnited our precious Discovery option so they can sign Gazza and give us a sack of potatoes in return. ;)

Praying that the Crew defense can hold a lead... FOR ONCE.

13. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    And I should have known better.

14. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    That goal wasnt Petkes fault. The problem has more to do with the overall defense. They are lost out there. All of them. If you look at the play Petke is causght between 2 people, McBride and Cunningham making a run. If he comits to Mc Bride Cunningham would have gone in(as he did). IF he comits to cunningham McBride would have had an open lane to walk right in. So he did the best thing, stayed between them and waited for Mc Bride to make his move and try to catch up to the play. It didnt work but he didnt have much of a choice.

15. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe bringing in Costacurta is not a bad idea after all. It cant get much worse in defense with all the goals they're leaking.
    Diallo and Williams played with heart in the second half. Again, Oz brough on his pet-boy Alvarez.

16. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone cares... I had a fun time going to Giants Stadium for the first time :)