Metros vs San Jose - Pre Game

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Ronaldinho11, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    San Jose Vs. Metrostars (pregame, during game, post game)

Metros havent beaten San Jose in the last 10+ games. thats an incredible stat they have a paternity over Metros, lets see what our dearly beloved metros can do to change that.

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember their last game at Giants Stadium. Just when I thought the Metros had them beat, Landon put on a little show and tied it up. Confidence ain't too high going into Spartan Stadium on Sunday, and I'd be happy to get a point. Pessimistic? Yeah, but the MetroStars haven't inspired much confidence in me lately.

3. Super Metro

Super Metro New Member

Aug 2, 1999
    New York City
    Sorry if you already have this somewhere.
    But with all the hype from the Semis game we forget that we still have a couple of games left in MLS (and we haven't qualified yet). We can do it this weekend. By looking at the standings, am I wrong to say that by beating the Quakes we only need DC to beat the Crew and we qualify, we do qualify but not DC even with that win. Hey, it would be a MIRACLE if we get these guys at their home on Sunday but what are all of our games about?

GO METROS!!!

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Here's to the Komeback Kings. May they jump out in front for a change, become Miracle Workers, and not have to come back at all! Just come home with a result.

Keeping the double Ds under wraps will take a miracle -- but we need the 3 points more than they do. Seems only fair to me. :)

5. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    The last time they played it was a 4-4 game. This time we don't have Clint (who scored 2 that night) and Williams. But we didn't have Pope and Jolley in the last game due to injury. This game looks could be billed as the Best Offense in MLS vs. the Best Defense in MLS.

Gotta love this picture from that game:
    [​IMG]

6. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I really think we can clip them this game. The team is riding on a high, after the key tie against DC, and the victory in the Semis of the USOC.

Our defense has to be strong this game. Pope will obviously mark Landon. Their defense is probably their weakest link, and can be broken if we hold the midfield. This is Gueverra's game. We die on how he plays, and the Quakes are going to be out to get him (especially after what happened at that game). Hopefully he'll be ready for the challenge. Gaven is also crucial in this game, as he is very good at slowing the game down, and holding onto the ball. The less Landon sees the ball, the better.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Metrostars vs San Jose [R}

they just mention during the WWC game, the Metrostars at San Jose will be on, at 4pm/ ESPN2

Go Metrostars GO

8. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Re: Metrostars vs San Jose [R}

Ironic. By putting an [R] on the subject header of your thread, people will avoid reading your post until after the game. Yet, the information contained in this thread could be useful for those who are unaware that the game is on TV, but won't see it until the game is over.

:)

Yes, I understand you are putting an [R] for future game spoiler posts. I just thought it was amusing.

Cheers.

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I want to keep NYR Metros happy

10. KeeperKid18

KeeperKid18 New Member

May 3, 2003
    NJ
    Metrostars vs San Jose [R}

No Mathis this game, obviously due to the red last game, but the posotive is that Williams is also out, because of exceeding caution points.

Hopefully Bradley will play this:

-Walker-
    Leitch-Pope-Jolley
    -Clark-
    Gaven-Lisi-Bartolomeu
    -Guevara-
    Wolyneic-Jusko

11. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams are on a high at the moment, and Quakes are sitting on a bit of a streak, having clobbered KC & Dallas after losing to the scum.

It will come down to how well we can contain an offense that has exploded lately, and we not only have to worry about Donovan but DeRosario is showing good form after sitting out much of the season with an injury. If the defense can keep them under wraps, and Woly, Amado, Magee etc. can create some chances on the other end, this will be a close, exciting game Sunday.

Just wondering, are any other West Coast Metro fans gonna be there?

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I hope the game resembles the one from Giants Stadium earlier in the year.... that was a cracker....

13. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
  14. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Please coach Bob, isn't it obvious enough now that Junko can't move or play soccer anymore.

Start Magee.

16. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [NMR]Just remember that in the end Special Ed makes you special too. Any word on O+A re-apperaring?[/NMR]

17. hesse

hesse New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    yes - i am a west coast metro fan that will be at the game!!

18. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I know this sounds crazy, but I think Metros get their first blowout with a 3-0 win.

This game has upset written all over it. SJ has almost clinched first place so the Metros have more to gain with a win.

By the way, the Quakes are giving away 10,000 free Landon Donovan T-Shirts with the help of a sponsor. Any reason Metros can't do things like this to attract fans? Last week, they gave away a small cardboard MetroStar fan that was stapled to a an ice-cream stick. Yep, that will have the fans packing the place. :rolleyes:

19. g bugout

g bugout Member

Jan 27, 2002
    nyc
    That thing only made it as far as the garbage can at the foot of the escalator.

What was that supposed to be? A fan? Something alternatively annoying as those plastic horns?

Whee.

20. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    You're not happy with your KOHL's coupons? I've making out like a bandit at that place!

21. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    Satilite radio... don't remember which one... but that was the rumor i heard. Less rules in that medium.

22. Partizan_fc

Partizan_fc New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    New York City
    MATCH INFORMATION
    Date: Sunday, October 5, 2003
    Time: 4:00 p.m. ET

Local TV: ESPN2
    Play-by-play: Ty Keough
    Analyst: Eric Wynalda
    Producer: Mitch Green

Local Spanish Radio: WADO 1280 AM
    Play-by-play: Ernesto Motta
    Analyst: Robert Sierra

Referee: Gus St. Silva
    Referee's Asst.: Jose Corro (SAR), Fabio Tovar (JAR)
    Fourth Official: Dinesh Singh

Probable Starters
    MetroStars
    GK #1 Jonny Walker, D #3 Chris Leitch, D #5 Steve Jolley, D #23 Eddie Pope, D #4 Edgar Bartolomeu, M #8 Mark Lisi, M #24 Eddie Gaven, M #2 Ricardo Clark, M #20 Amado Guevara, F #7 Mike Magee, F #15 John Wolyniec

Bench
    GK #30 Paul Grafer, D #14 Joe Addo, D #19 Tim Regan, D #21 Craig Ziadie, F #10 Andrzej Juskowiak

MetroStars ACE/Tru-Fit Injury Report
    Moreno, Jaime – herniated disc - IR

MetroStars - Suspended
    Mathis, Clint – red card on 9/28 – one game
    Williams, Richie – caution point accumulation – one game

History vs. San Jose Earthquakes
    Overall: 4-10-4 (GF: 21, GA: 29, -8)
    Home: 3-3-4 (GF: 17, GA: 13, +4)
    Away: 1-7-0 (GF: 4, GA: 16, -12)
    Overtime: 0-0-3 (since 2000)

23. Partizan_fc

Partizan_fc New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    New York City
    My guess is that our formation would look something like this:

----------------Walker-----------------
    Leitch--Jolley--Pope--Bartolomeu
    -------Lisi----------------Clark--------
    ---------Gaven---Guevara-----------
    --------Magee----Wolyniec--------

24. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I think that's a super lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if Bradley lets Edgar run wild on the left side, making it more of a 3-5-2, instead of a 4-4-2. We can't just sit back and let these guys move that ball around. We really need to take it to them. We need to keep the ball away from Ekelund. I really believe our midfield can outclass their midfield this game. If that happens, the game will depend on how well both teams can finsih. There will be chances, but who can finish the ball. This is a crucial game, because we have faint hopes of catching up to Chicago. Who knows, maybe they lose this weekend, and all of a sudden instead of 5 points, they are only 2 ahead of us. A lot more interesting in my book.

Did Jusko play badly against DC at the USOC Semis?????

25. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Yup, u can say that, its like he wasn't even out there for the most part. Made a few decent passes but would give one up or a bad 1st touch right after.