Metros vs DC United Post Game [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Partizan_fc, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Partizan_fc

Partizan_fc New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    New York City
    MetroStars @ DC United - postgame [R]

Scoring Summary:

DC -- Marco Etcheverry 4 (penalty kick) 10
    MET -- Jaime Moreno 2 (Mark Lisi 6) 20
    MET -- Ricardo Clark 2 (unassisted) 26
    DC -- Dema Kovalenko 3 (Ben Olsen 6, Hristo Stoitchkov 2) 43
    MET -- Eddie Gaven 1 (Amado Guevara 6) 99

MetroStars -- Tim Howard, Craig Ziadie, Kenny Arena, Juan Forchetti, Edgar Bartolomeu (Tim Regan 76), Ricardo Clark, Amado Guevara, Richie Williams, Mark Lisi (Eddie Gaven 90), Mike Magee (Chris Leitch 41), Jaime Moreno (John Wolyniec 53).

Substitutes Not Used: Paul Grafer.

TOTAL SHOTS: 7 (Amado Guevara 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Amado Guevara 2); FOULS: 11 (Kenny Arena 3); OFFSIDES: 2 (Amado Guevara 1, John Wolyniec 1); CORNER KICKS: 3 (Amado Guevara 3); SAVES: 5 (Tim Howard 3)

D.C. United -- Nick Rimando, Bryan Namoff, Mike Petke, Galin Ivanov, Ben Olsen (Devin Barclay 73), Jose Alegria, Marco Etcheverry, Ryan Nelsen, Dema Kovalenko, Ali Curtis (Alecko Eskandarian 81), Hristo Stoitchkov (Santino Quaranta 66).

Substitutes Not Used: Jorge Geddes, Eliseo Quintanilla, David Stokes, Doug Warren.

TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (Ali Curtis 3, Ryan Nelsen 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 7 (Ryan Nelsen 2, Santino Quaranta 2); FOULS: 24 (Ali Curtis 4, Mike Petke 4); OFFSIDES: 4 (4 tied with 1); CORNER KICKS: 8 (Marco Etcheverry 7); SAVES: 2 (Nick Rimando 2)

Misconduct Summary:
    MET -- Craig Ziadie (caution; Reckless Foul) 24
    MET -- Kenny Arena (caution; Professional Foul) 30
    MET -- Kenny Arena (caution; Professional Foul) 35
    MET -- Kenny Arena (ejection; Second Caution) 35
    DC -- Bryan Namoff (caution; Tackle from Behind) 49
    DC -- Galin Ivanov (caution; Reckless Foul) 56

Referee: Kevin Terry
    Referee's Assistants: -Steven Taylor; Bahij Salman
    4th Official: Alex Prus
    Attendance: 13,715
    Time of Game: 2:06
    Weather: Sunny-and-93-degrees

2. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro 3 DC 2 OT

I would have been happy with the draw, but man...DC just sucks.

3. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, metros. That was a great game to watch.

tm

4. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AS much as I hate the Mutts, got to give them credit for a gutty performance today. Howard has just become something special and you gotta root for Gavin, especially after getting stuck in goal for a few seconds.

5. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I'm not talking while the flavor lasts! :)

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great gritty performance

With ten men for more than an hour on hot humid conditions, that was awesome....This game has made my day
    Of course one could argue we always play with ten men whenever Arena is on the field

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    fantastic match from start to finish. i dont watch the mls much but home this afternoon i wanted to see tim howard in goal and he did not dissapoint, i
    cant wait for united to get him, without a doubt if fergie is openminded he will supplant barthez in goal and be the next big american keeper to take over the world

8. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I groan every time the ball goes near Arena.

At least he cut his hair.

Somebody convince eddie pope that he is better hopping around on one leg than kenny arena.

9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    by the by what is the deal with arena- ive seen frequent threads on him and how he is on the us youth teams, is it his dads help or his play but from what i saw the kid is not up to scratch, my nan could play smarter than him.

11. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    SHAME on Kevin Terry. You guys should have been playeing the last 2/3 of the match with 9 men. SHAME on the ref. Fortunately for you DCU wass at best ineffective after their initial burst of energy.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Kevin Terry missed a nice chance to caution Kovalenko for a lousy tackle on Clark.

Guevarra annoys me, but not as much as Stoichkov and Etcheverry. Plus he's a hell of a lot quicker.

Way to go Eddie, nice finish kid.

13. cafrine

cafrine New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    is GONE
    Thank you Metros for exposing DC as the crap that they are. Well, everyone knew they were crap already, really, but it's always nice to see them lose anyway.

Thank You,
    Suffering Dallas Fan Living Vicariously Through Other Teams Who Can Actually Beat DC

14. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    This loophole will be closed and I've always been against the goalkeeper substitution rule. However, as a practicing attorney, I fully respect Bradley's exploitation of the MLS rules. I wonder if the Elias guys will investigate whether that was ever done before in a match.

As for DC fans complaining about timewasting. . .the shoe will be on the other foot sooner than you think and you will not be complaining.

15. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahahaha, no problem, mind loaning us a center back?

16. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Heres a brainstorm: think if Bart got the initial red, it may have changed how the rest of the game was played, and Arena might not have gotten two yellows? Duh.

17. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    It's been mentioned before on Big Soccer but the 4 pm start is a joke in the middle of summer. I know that it might be the only way due to ESPN but it hurts the quality of the game.

18. cafrine

cafrine New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    is GONE
    Yes, it has a few times. This season Dallas has used in an overtime draw with LA and Kansas City used it in one game as well. It's been used in the past also.

19. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Thanks. It would be interesting to see how many times it has been used.

20. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    Agree. It simply looked too silly for the beautiful game. BTW, who is the last guy in MLS played GK and scored a game winner?

As for time wasting, it's not worse than DC would have done if they had been leading.

21. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Attendance was only 13,715, bad job from DC fans. Although I have to admit, I enjoyed reading all the bitching and crying from the DC fans supporting their team by sitting behind a keyboard.

Oh, I also enjoyed that when Kovalenko scored, there was only some old soccer mom waiting in the stands to congratulate him.

22. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    The Metro absolutely stole 3 points today. Doing it against DC, priceless.

23. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Did he coldcock her?

24. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    better yet, how many times has that happened for the player coming on to score the game winning goal?

gotta say it was a llovely match. Timmy was well impressive on a few of those saves...and spare a thought for DC

within one mouth watering ot save of coming away with all three points only to lose on the counter...no luck

25. soccerdad

soccerdad Member

Dec 27, 1998
    montclair nj
    Not a loophole at all

Metro sacrificed it's chance to bring in Grafer if Howard happened to go down

In other words Howard gets injured Meto in big trouble

Calculated risk that worked