Metros v. Chicago [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Soccernuthost, Jul 27, 2002.

1. miguel

miguel Member

Nov 26, 1998
    I don't think I'm enough of a masochist to want to watch a replay of the tape I made of this match in order to find out who looked the worse out there yesterday.

I'm with most of the other posters here who say forget about this one. It was an ugly, ugly game. That "field" was ugly and a disgrace to the MLS. Our team did not look like they came to Chicago to play 90 minutes on a bumby playing surface that was 108 degrees fahrenheit. When Diallo limped off the field, any chance of a come back died. Chicago is a tough team to beat, particularly with a healty Razov and Wolf and Beasley to contend with. Letting a guy like Curtain muscle his way in for that first goal was our first big mistake. It's just lucky for us that New England held on by the skin of their teeth to that early one goal lead and that LA managed to knock off Columbus.

I guess we should feel lucky that the Metro's are still at the top of the East. Now if he just go another 90 minutes, there will be some time off for Diallo to heal that strained ham string after we beat Columbus this Wednesday. Hope to be at the game. We are flying in on game day and I'm hoping to have a beer and say hi in the parking lot if you guys have a tailgate area. Adios, good luck, don't fire anyone yet, and keep the faith..

2. supermetros

supermetros New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My .02c....

1) Howard is God
    2) Petke's decline is really starting to get bad.
    3) Chronopoulus has way to many metal mistakes
    4) Full stands look nice. They're supporters really were singing loudly
    5) Footbal grid marks look like sh%t
    6) I can't believe they shut down Williams
    7) Was Paule on the field?
    8) 108 degrees. Damn that f-in hot
    9) Our defense doesn't communicate enough.
    10) Screw being overly negative. Go Metros!!!

3. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    As if the game weren't bad enough, we had to put up with 90 minutes of Jack & Ty waxing poetic about Chicago's injury woes. Cry me a river -- 57-year-old Piotr Nowak and Sergi f-ing Daniv vs. Ramos, Balboa, Mathis, Davis, and after 40 minutes, Diallo.

And ESPN should definitely stop showing Naperville games -- they're just ugly. The two I've seen are yesterday's and our previous 1-0 win, and they were both godawful games. The field is just brutal there.

4. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    What shouldn't be forgotten is that the Metros have absolutely no bench strength whatsoever at this point in time. With only one match scheduled between 7/31 and 8/17 hopefully Mathis, Ramos and Davis will heal enough to factor into the stretch run of the season.

5. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Brilliant post Ben, you're finally paying off those Rolling Rocks from last year.......

Zambrano is slowly starting to lose all control of this season. Tactically he is inept and his personnel decisions are flawed to say the least. I don' know who else would be better, too bad Quieroz is with Man United......Steve Sampson anyone???

6. NYfutbolfan

NYfutbolfan Member

Dec 17, 2000
    LI, NY
    There was a report that Veronica Paystees may take on the team,uh....take over the team. Nick Sackiewicz, the Metros GM, has been quoted as saying, "I have noticed that she has had done some insightful reporting from the sidelines and that there is a possibility that by the time we move into our new SSS in Harrison, she could become the next Ray Hudson and do for the Metro what Ray has done for United."

So, luckily Metro fans do not have to be concerned as Nick is mapping out all the possibilities.

7. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    Veronica P^ssy as coach? Why not? Can she really do much worse than OZ at this point? OZ needs to really start motivating this defense. With all of the injuries, we are going to be tested each game. The debacle in Naperville shows that we can't really do much when our stars are out of action. So I say, sure why not have Veronica as coach? Jump on and we'll enjoy the ride.....

8. the-beaver

the-beaver New Member

Jul 17, 2002
    NJ
    Jolley played solid

I agree with your assessmant of Howard, but completely disagree about Addo.

In the Chicago game Jolley played sweeper, as reported on mlsnet, and covered for Addo and Petke all game. Addo and Petke were supposed to be man-marking. That was one pitiful attempt at man-marking.

The 1st goal was completely due to Petke getting turned and letting Curtin get goal side if him. 2nd goal was Chronopoulos's fault, but where the heck was Addo?? 3rd goal was again Petke's fault. The second goal came from a counter from the Metros corner kick, which they always send Jolley up as a target.

Jolley and Howard are the only players who have been consistently good all year on a average team.

Chicago game- Wolff 2 assists, marked by Addo. Razov- 2 goals, marked by Petke.