(Metros - R)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by nyrmetros, Sep 28, 2003.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    (Metrostars - DC Scum - R)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

MAGEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!

and MSG finally showed the traveling ESC in all their Glory !!!!!!!!!!!!

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    oh man..... only 30 seconds was left untill certain doom!!!!

And now we have a fighting chance in OT !!!!!!!!!

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Game ends in a 1 - 1 tie !!

Metrostars clinch the Atlantic Cup !!!!!

But more importantly they still maintain 2nd place in the East !!!

4. Gar7

Gar7 New Member

Feb 7, 2001
    Southington, CT
    Nice result, but we could have done without Mathis getting sent off. I love the guy...and I have to say, that was a stupid card to get. Nice to see the free kicks going on target and forcing some saves. But, bad fouls in the box again. There are three teams I hate losing to, Chicago, LA and these ****s! Thank Mike Magee and Mark Lisi that we earned a point. Now, this team has to cu=rush them on Weds. Metros need to win a trophy...why not the Open Cup and work toward winning MLS Cup?

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I wouldn't mind wining some more hardware this season. I personally think our best chance is the USFA Cup.

Oh yea, about Clint getting sent off...... doh!!!

6. ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan New Member

Jan 20, 1999
    SHAPE, Belgium
    Misconduct Summary:
    MET -- Eddie Pope (caution; Reckless Foul) 5
    DC -- Mike Petke (caution; Pushing, Holding) 10
    MET -- Richie Williams (caution; Reckless Foul) 29
    DC -- Brandon Prideaux (caution; Reckless Foul) 32
    MET -- Steve Jolley (caution; Pushing, Holding) 39
    DC -- Ryan Nelsen (caution; Pushing, Holding) 39
    MET -- Clint Mathis (caution; Reckless Foul) 41
    DC -- Dema Kovalenko (caution; Pushing, Holding)48
    MET -- Ricardo Clark (caution; Tackle from Behind) 49
    MET -- Clint Mathis (caution; Reckless Foul) 87
    MET -- Clint Mathis (ejection; Second Caution) 87
    DC -- Galin Ivanov (caution; Reckless Foul) 89
    MET -- Jonny Walker (caution; Delaying a Restart) 99

Isn't this always the case when these two teams play?

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a little extreme today. My only regret, though, is that Mathis threw the forearm to the back of Convey's head rather than Kovalenko or Stewart.

8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    At least Mathis will have a nice little vacation. He can't play for what, 2 weeks?

9. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's better to be lucky than good. After the way Olsen spanked them Thursday night, having him go out so early in the game was a blessing for the Metros.

Maybe the 2 week vacation will do Clint some good. The Metros might not be out of the woods yet but the path isn't as winding as it was this morning.

Oh yeah, what has Ziade done to end up in the doghouse? He didn't even make the trip. I really thought he would have started on the wing over Leitch.

10. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he can play in the US Open Cup game but is out of the next MLS game

What a way to win a game. I thought it was a loss for sure.

11. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    hope all of you got to watch that on tv...i nearly suffered a heart attack but it was well worth it...fortunately we got the point, but just as important, we really fought hard all game and controlled more of whatever play their was to control, so here are a few of my thoughts

- edgar was like a poor man's DMB, i think some of us knew that with much less defensive responsibility, his speed and skill would be dangerous on the left and today it really was, i hope he'll get a chance to establish himself there

- leitch is severly average, but you know what you're getting out of him, and right now that might be better on the other wing...unfortunately, he got beat by convey and the ref called a legit PK when he took him down

- richie: same story, im very excited for him not to suit up next game

- mathis: a lot of people get annoyed when i speak my mind on mathis so i'll keep it on the mild side...yes, he's very talented (despite his poor form as of late, he and our guevara are far and away our best players on offense)...HOWEVER, what he brings with his immaturity is absolutely unacceptable...it's been the same story with him since i can remember, and i'm tired of it...sorry to MF, but you can argue convey embellished, yet you know what?...it was a completely unnecessary elbow to the head, right in front of the ref...you never know when clint is going to show up, and for all his talent, i personally dont have the patience for it, if he thinks he's better off in europe, thanks for the good memories, but he really wont be missed

- gaven: makes me giddy, ONLY 16, tons of growth to come mentally/physically yet already causes problems for the other team

- the ref was far better than a lot of others, and i think if he didnt set the tone early, this game gets way out of hand...also, i think someone gets hurt without that, so i prefer 13 yellows to losing one of our guys bc dema lost his cool

- total team effort, not sure why lisi didnt start, so if anyone knows, i'd love to know why...i wish i could've been with others for this win, but i got to share it with a few in a chat...anyways, this has to be the start of what could get us on a huge roll going into the playoffs, i hope we take advantage of it

12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, out for the USOC due to his tete a tete with Joey Franchino

and here I was all ready to start up a big rant, but they escape with a point (again). This is not a second place team as currently composed talent-wise.

I thought Convey played Mathis's elbow for all it was worth, but maybe Mathis can use this extended vacation to think of all the ways he can be really useful.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Nope... he got red carded in the quarter final cup game vs the Revs....

2 week vacation for Clint !

14. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    While celebrating the goal by Magee/Lisi at 96 minutes, it is frustrated to watch how this team struggled for 90 minutes "again." Now looking back the season, we have been unwisely depending heavily on one man (Mathis) to score, and we haven't really established a solid collations in midfield despite the fact we have talented midfielder, so our midfielder does not play effectively and was never real threats to opponents. Inconsistent/poor passing continues to be the team problem. Seems to me it has been a pattern for this season: nerve racking to watch we struggle for 90 minutes and pray for last minute miracle from Magee, Gavin and Woly. To me, these kids are the heroes of the season. I am a big fan of Mathis, I understand all strikers in the world will go through scoring draught but I have to say today I am disappointed at his passing. I would think good passing should be the fundamental duty from a top quality player. As to the red card, remember last season he was red carded at DC game and about the same stage of the season as we are in right now, hope his red card is not a bad omen. By the way, the rumor about Nick/Bob disagreement if is true, does not help the team at all, Nick and Bob should put their difference aside and let the team concentrate on winning.

15. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    in any sport you are only as good as your last game. Mathis is supposedly one of our nations superstars? Then he should be expected to stand out above the rest more times than not..He does not.. Why Mathis gets so much praise over and over again from some of you..... some of the players on the team are probably happy that he will have to sit. Maybe they will mesh better when he is out...

16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Well, this has been a pretty bad week for the MetroStars.

17. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Gaven is the real deal. This is the first time I actually see a metrostar player took on defenders and actually made them look silly. Btw, i have a feeling Ricardo Clark broke his nose during the game.

18. ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan New Member

Jan 20, 1999
    SHAPE, Belgium
    Dam, that's pretty rough. I don't wish anyone out just yet. I think things could be worse. We actually have players who can filled in voids for 1 or 2 games. So missing Mathis next game wont be a problem. As for his performance, it was pretty bad. He's passing was horrible. His one-touches did not collect at all his teamates, maybe a good 1 1/2 weeks off game action could be good for him to 'rejuvenate' himself, if not then I dont know where he belongs.

As far as his red card goes. I'll go out on a limb and say It wasn't his fault. Well it wan't intentional for sure. He wasn't losing his cool in the game or arguing with the ref. When Mathis went for the ball both his arms were going up just as Convey was retreating to head the ball. He just happned to jump with his arms up and Convey's back of the head happend to get him.

19. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    What the *#*#*#*# are you talking about?

20. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shep mentioned that he's been fighting off an ankle injury. Whether it's that or Bradley sending him a message, the truth is Lisi hasn't been moving or playing well for about the last three games. In fact the last good game I remember him playing was the draw at LA.

That said, I'm as big a Lisi fan as there is and think he's integral to the team's success. The value of his distribution and vision out of his deep-midfield position will be intensified by playing with Gaven and Barto, and not having to cover for Richie's mistakes at d-mid.

Anyone else notice how much better Rico was today in the center of the field than he has been on the flank? Hopefully he shows well again next week and Bob will realize that Richie has become redundant.

21. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'm all for giving someone the benefit of the doubt but it sure looked like Clint was leading with his elbow on that play. It was a legit yellow card offense. Unfortunately it was his second of the game. An elbow up to the head, especially from behind, deserves one. You can't say that Convey sold the foul because the yellow was shown before he realized what was going on.

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Both Mathis fouls were clear yellows. They both should have been called.

Anyway, I think you guys deserved at least one and possibly three points. You were the better team today.

Sachin

23. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    can we start a petition to ban richie from the starting XI?

24. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the problem when you have the Keebler elf officiating and he's afraid he's going to be stepped on. An absolutley horrible job of officiating. He should be suspended.

The cards against Jolley and Nelson are a perfect example of someone who is not capable of refereeing at this level.

25. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it just one league game????