Metros pass on Faria for Wolff trade

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by patrickdavila, Aug 15, 2002.

1. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that's good. Wolff just tore his ACL yesterday.

3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know which side was dumber - Chicago for making the offer, or the MetroStars for turning it down.

Obviously, we don't know all the details, but on the surface, it seems like a no-brainer for the Metros, doesn't it?

4. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Deadline was at 5pm. I dunno when he tore his ACL but Im assuming itsduring the game so he wouldnt have played. I dunno how Nick doesnt make this trade. He must be the biggest dumbass in the f00king planet.

5. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    I just don't buy this, though. Metros needed cap room, would get one of best strikers in league who plays well with at least one of our players and Faria, while scoring, is not in Wolff's class.

There must have been more in this deal we haven't heard about.

6. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Agreed - is there any reason to believe that the Fire would give up Wolff? I would only think it's true if he's definitely going to Europe this year.

7. jaybird

jaybird New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    NY
    People, people, pee-pullllllllllllllll. Say WHAT?

Q: How is a "knock-knock" like this article?

A: They're both Jokes.

Folks, if it's not 162% obvious that some malicious little hack stole onto the Daily News server and posted this "article," than you've got to see about upping your meds dosage.

"'I like Rodrigo," Sakiewicz said last night. "He's doing well. It wasn't a deal that I was all excited about.'"

Please, someone get an oxygen tent, I can't stop laughing. Blah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

8. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    The Daily News hints the deal wasn't straight up. Perhaps the Fire asked for more than just Faria?

9. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps our Metro front office just does not know talent and truly believes Faria is better than a National Team Forward who can play with Clint.

Typical Nick and Oz mistake. Cap problem?? Like Balboa and Tab are really going to play this year again.. Cut them both if you have to.

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just keep telling yourself that there had to be more to this than a healthy long-term Wolff for Faria. There just had to be.

With that said, I'm sad for the Nats but happy for Metro that Wolff will not be contributing to Chicago's playoff run any more.

11. NYfutbolfan

NYfutbolfan Member

Dec 17, 2000
    LI, NY
    If it was truly Wolff for Faria straight up or even Wolff for Faria, Klinger, Shepherd, Alvarez, Forko & Chrono and Nick couldn't pull the trigger, something is very, very wrong in Metroville.

Yeah, Faria's a hustler and he earns 10x less than Wolff, but the thought of having a combo of Mathis and Wolff on your team, for marketing purposes alone would have to make you do the deal.

Imagine if MLS were a big deal and Nick had to appear in front of reporters, he'd be on a par with that guy, Layden.

12. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Surprisingly, Good for the Metros

There's probably a real simple explanation. Wolff is going to go kicking and screaming into the offseason for a transfer to the Premiership.

If I were the Fire, I'd sure trade two more months of Wolff for two+ years of non-national teamer Faria (and his 10-15 goals per year under Bradley's tutelage). If I were Nick S., unsure of Mathis' demands come the off-season, would I unload Faria in exchange for Wolff? Nope. Worst case scenario NOW is that both Wolff and Mathis go to Europe, and the Metros start with Faria and Diallo up top come next March/April. Good enough logic for me...

Reading between the lines, I think Josh is as good as gone come MLS Cup this October. Bookmark it.

13. beenasoccerfan

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I think I'd have to agree with you on this. A case of dumber and dumber here. Man want a duo the Metros could have had, torn ACL or not. He will recover!!!!

14. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Christ, the article said the deal "involved" Faria, not that he was the whole deal. Wolff and Billy Walsh for Faria, Diallo, and Howard would be a deal that "involved" Wolff and Faria, but nobody would want to take it, would they?

There's absolutely no way it could have been straight up -- Faria's making $50K and Wolff's making the league max. At least get a hold of some facts before bashing Nick and OZ.

15. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the cost issue and Nick's statements that Petke was not trade bait, I'd guess that it was Faria and Jolley for Wolff. And if there's one thing that we don't need to do right now, it's trade defenders. And Wolff must have been ready to move in the off-season.

16. Allez_Zizou

Allez_Zizou New Member

May 24, 2002
    Metro Fan in Boston
    Like Balboa and Tab are really going to play this year again.. Cut them both if you have to. [/B][/QUOTE]

1. You can't cut injured players. Look at what's going on with the cutting of Semedo in New England. Looks like a lawsuit is all but guaranteed.

2. You don't cut your original member of the organization, a past captain, and the heart and soul of the team--who's also a local here. That would be a terrible move without honor.

17. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    Then what the hell would any of us do here?

18. StarPetke12

StarPetke12 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Franklin Square,Ny
    Wolff already signed like a 5 year contract with MLS. I dont think hes going to Europe

19. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't cut injured players?? Seems like MLS has some rule to allow for that as in th e Roy Meyers situations with us in past as well as other clubs regarding salary compensation. MLS rules are made to be changed as needed.

If The NY Rangers could drop Messsier a few years ago basically by letting him sign with Vancouver and the Yankees could trade Babe Ruth I think the Metros could name Tabatha as an assistant coach for the remainder of the year and not get anyone too upset if we got Wolf and then picked up Costacurta.

20. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

What in god's name is wrong with you? Do you think before you post? Granted MLS rules are not the easiest to follow. But c'mon, you sound like a fool.

21. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For you to be oblivious that rule changes are done on the fly in the MLS makes you sound like an idiot.

22. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    No- just some rules are set in stone. But making Tab a coach so we can sign Costacurata is pure brillance. Muhahaha.

23. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really believe that Tab will come back and be healthy and not get reinjured for the playoffs??

Doesn't Tab owe this organization and it's fans anything for sticking with him throughout his whole injury laden career with us??

And how does Chicago stay within the salary cap with Wolf, Stoichkov, Beasley, Thornton, Novak, etc??? Sponsorship money for some??? Look at their roster and try and estimate their team salary based on league standards and you will also have some doubts about that rule as well.

24. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    :rolleyes: x infinity

25. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    then you just said it.

if the metros needed cap room, then there's no way they can take a max salary player like Wolff. especially in return for a cheaper player like Faria.

and it wasn't just Wolff for Faria, there was more on the New York side that wasn't released.