Metro vs Burn Post Game [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by topcow, Aug 17, 2002.

1. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
  2. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    Andy Williams vs the entire Dallas team.

not just the score, the way they played, is crap!

Ugly! Ugly, ugly! Dallas did not play that well, but still the Metros lost! They are crap!

3. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Bench Jeff Moore. He has little ability on the ball. Let's have some possession in the midfield please.

4. MetroFan 2000

MetroFan 2000 New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Somerset,NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good job metros...not...actually we did ok with mathis and davis..once they went out...and lisi and diallo(not as much though) it all went downhill....once again Williams gives 110%...despite the foul..he was superb....now our record is...

09-11-02

5. metrosarenumberone

metrosarenumberone New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Landing, NJ
    and the sad part is kreis didn't even score

6. MetroFan 2000

MetroFan 2000 New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Somerset,NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    an even sadder part...

he had what..a total of...12 touches??

7. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Mathis looked really fit right!!! He looks like he's been working out a lot.

8. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    This team is currently a joke. I honestly think over the last 30 days we are playing the worst soccer in MLS. We beat KC in KC on July 24th (our last win). Since then we've been smoked by Chicago 3-0, lost at home to Columbus 3-2, Lost to Columbus in the Open cup 2-1, lost to Atlanta in a friendly 1-0, lost to Chivas in a friendly 3-1, and lost to Dallas at home 3-1. We've got a -10 goal difference in our last 6 matches (15-5). Honestly, who is worse? We are 3-7-2 at home, and just gave up 3 unanswered goals in 19 minutes to lose at home, again. And all of this is with the most talented team in our conference.

Diallo comes in at 71 minutes, and spends the entire 20 minutes on the right wing, chasing balls up the sidelines. What scheme is that? He is a target forward, not an attacking winger. Anyone catch Zaidie in the second half getting in front of Faria (wha?) in the Dallas end? You were going..where?

Fire OZ. There is no other option.

9. BrKLyNzOwN

BrKLyNzOwN New Member

Aug 16, 2002
    NY
    if only faria have scored that header (where he hit the post) it would of been 2-2 and the momentum would of been in our favor, and then im sure the metros could of finished off dallas

10. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    the only bright side is El Bombo is back with the ESC...

11. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY

dallas had 3 or so other gimmes...score could've been 6-1....

but it wasn't, faria missed the header...we lost at home again....

our defense gave up 3....

tonight (when it was 3-1) i yelled to timmy..."its the defense timmy, don't worry" he shook his head in disgust....

12. StarPetke12

StarPetke12 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Franklin Square,Ny
    The sad thing is that I was actually happy with the Metros for the first half...we didnt play THAT bad (compared to how we have been playing) and then when Paule scored I seriously thought that our losing streak was over.... but of course...i was caught with my head up my ass-OZ was gonna find some way to screw this whole thing up! I dont understand why he took both Mathis and Davis out especially since Dallas is a second half team and we needed to use better players in the second half...and what the heck was Diallo doing out there--to me it looked like he was trying tooo hard to score and was hogging the ball, even when we had plenty of players open...then when he would lose the ball he would cry like a baby. Overall I am so pissed off...this whole game was screwed up and based on how DC played today against the Quakes, the Metros seriously have to get it together but first they need to get rid of OZ

13. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Diallo, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Faria. Have you met?

14. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Major changes are needed in defense; it's a matter for offseason, since nothing can be done now. What we have is barely A-League in speed, skill, execution. The quality of the league has simply outstripped our ability in defense.

Furthermore, possibly because of the weak defense, we play without cohesion and purpose -- the lack of possession and ball control are obvious symptoms. Faria's first touch let's him down time and again in tight situations, though he is not the only victim of his own, modest skills.

The bar has been raised by other teams; area fans won't accept the shoddy efforts this "team" has to offer. We are worse than mediocre; that must be faced and addressed. We need a team that can perform at the level of Williams, Mathis, Diallo and Timmy.

I think Ross Paule is a very good 'engine room' player -- the kind of tireless, competent player every midfield needs. He can score, but we should never need him to score -- that kind of player.

That's 5 out of 11. We need 6 more real players. Tab could be one, but injuries and pending retirement rule him out. I am not even concerned about the bench at this point, just a decent starting 11.

Forget a new stadium; what we've got now deserves no better than Randall's Island - as is!

15. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    What a game! Great defending, good teamwork, and a great job by the midfielder's to control the tempo of the match. What hustle, what guts, what determination. And boy, what a game winning goal by Chinaglia!....ooooops, wrong match. :(

What a waste of a Saturday night. The only positive thing that came out of it was I got free samples of Tide and Crest.

Did anyone watch the San Jose/DC match on ESPN? On "paper", we're about even or perhaps better than San Jose, but watching the game it was a joy to watch them move the ball around. The Metros? One, maybe two passes and it's the other team's ball.

Even the fans sucked. The place was a freakin morgue. These guys deserved to get mightily booed off the field, instead fans were giddy that they were walking home with a free lunchbox and were blowing those stupid horns all the way to the parking lot. I was screaming at OZ to step down after the match and then several copycats joined in.

The best thing for the team actually might be to NOT make the playoffs and to get one of the first two picks in the draft and get a playmaker like Alecko Eskandarian of Virginia. Let's face it, there's no sign that things are going to change as we're looking at an embarassing rout and sweep in the first round.

16. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    I got free Gain.

Who's in charge of the defense? More than anything, the team needs defensive leadership.

Who got the captain's band after Clint Mathis left?

17. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    The doomsday clock may have moved a little. I never liked any team coached by Zambrano, but it's now obvious that the talent on the team is actually BETTER than oz gives them credit for.

You have GOOD, QUALITY players. What you also have is a tactically naive coach. You had little possession, and not much shape. How can you defend in shape when your team is flying up field in the counter with the ball over their heads?

Since I'm a club before country kind of person, I still think Arena should be approached. Let Bradley have the nats, and let Arena build up a decent team in NY for the sake of MLS.

I said to my wife after the game that Zambrano may not be around by Monday night. The look on his face on way off the field was pure doom.

good luck, see you in Dallas the 5th.

18. tytomkiel

tytomkiel Red Card

Feb 12, 2002
    San Diego, Ca
    How did Lisi do?

19. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    On Paper DC United is better then us, and the way they are playing right now, they will beat us out.

We play them 3 more times. Unless Zambrano stops being a retard, we will not make the playoffs.

In some ways, I don't want the Metros to make the playoffs. Why? Because I want Nick and OZ to be fired. Why does AEG deal with those two retards?

As for the game. I still believe that the team is not cohesive. The defense is alone to do the defensive work. The midfield punts the ball up. Then the forwards try to do their own thing. There is no unison.

One thing that impressed me both by DC and SJ was the willingness of their best players to do some defense. I saw Marco slide tackling some times. At one point I saw Graziani run back. What!>!?!?!? That's the way a team plays. The Metros don't do that.

As for Jolley. He's a douche. Who the hell guarantees the Cup.

As I said before, the only positives I saw tonight were the encouraging prospects of a future US Right Back in Suarez and the fitness of Mathis. God damn did he look fit and trim.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    2nd ever Metros game (1st, Bayern).
    4 quick observations:

1. There does not seem to be anybody who was taking charge of the defense tonight. Were there more than 2 offsides called against Dallas tonight?

2. The MetrosStars were missing a midfielder who could take the ball from midfield and carry it into or near the box, with that final telling pass.

3. Dallas always looked way more comfortable on the ball, frequently passing without having to look up and find the open man, unlike the Metros.

4. 101 is a lot of fun................(but what are those horns about?)

21. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Forget Faria.

If Mathis doesn't take a couple of seconds to get his ass in gear when he was in the clear in the second half the ball is in the net and it's a whole different ball game.

I actually sat there saying: Clint, ummm, Clint you have the ball, move.

Another telling stat: Dallas 3 SOG, 3 Goals. Howard 0 Saves. That will lower the save per game average but it's not good for much else.

That's just the way things are going now.

22. keeper3953

keeper3953 New Member

Jan 27, 2001
    sometimes it racks my brain on oz's tactics... i wish he would let us in on his thinking....
    look at our subs....
    lisi-mathis what the hell is that the game is 1-0 and he puts a sh** midfielder for our foward..nonetheless lisi cant even hold onto the ball, defending against puttin a defensive player for an offense of player
    mamadu-brad davis ok this was a fine sub considering the circumstances of the game, however mamdu needs time to warm up and 20 minutes isnt long enough

now lets make the rundown of players
    jolley-crap

petke- crap

ziadie- hustled but wasnt quick enough on
    the third goal

chronpolous- i think hes improved in every game hes played in

brad davis- needs to make more runs and track back on defense

jeff morre--he just sucks

paule--even tho scroing the goal, he got horribly beat on the third goal, and was virtually absent the rest of the game

mathis--looked pretty good, too much fancy crap tho...he needs to settle down and control a bit more, also he doesnt look completly match fit, his injured leg doesn extend all the way when he runs

andy williams--awesome every game....good thing he took swarez out...go williams finally ur dishing it out

faria- faria likes to post..hes not mamdu and he cant turn when he posts...he needs to make runs, also gettin really lazy

timmy--no mistakes..= good, should have made the save on the third goal tho

oz- horrible

23. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few thoughts :

1. Jeff Moore is not MLS starter material right now and needs to sit as does little to help offense or defense and a few times I was wondering where he was and what the heck he was doing as MIA on a lot of plays in his area.

2. Watching Faria attempt to finish time and time again demonstrates he should play as a midfielder and not anywhere near the goal.

3. Lisi makes me yearn for Villegas's MetroStar days

4. Why is Ziadie and Chrono in the back?? I would immediately start Akwari and take my chances as he has speed and aggresiveness.

5. Williams, Davis, Clint, Howard, Petke, Jolley, Diallo are our only solid players right now.

24. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Now the good news I thought Mathis had a good game on his first day back from injury. Even took some people on off his dribble and beat them. That has not happened in a long time even when he played after acl.

We should be happy with that.

Davis played pretty well, but it looked like he was favoring one leg when he was substituted.

The first half was a good half. Now wipe that second half out of your mind.

If you taped the game. Keep the first half and tape over the second half you will all feel better.

I think even if Mathis plays a mid with Williams and Davis with Dialo up top we will be relatively alright.

I think Faria might be better suited to a wing mid if he is going to start which means he also should play more defensively or he comes off the bench at striker.

25. Soccernuthost

Soccernuthost New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Both Mathis and Davis are just coming back from injuries that have kept them out for several weeks. Neither is 100% physically or has full game fitness. Neither could have played 90 minutes so they were subbed out.

OZ makes many mistakes and should be replaced (and probably will be if we don't win the cup) but this is not a valid criticism.