Metro 'Marketing' - More retarded now than in the Stillitano era?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Michael K., Oct 29, 2003.

1. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have MPF turkeys tiled all over my pc at work!!!
    I love 'em!

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am now convinced that the MPF campaign is pure genius. Evil genuis, but still genius. Look at y'all - everyone is talking Metros! Everyone! It is a fever, maybe yellow, maybe west nile, but it doesn't matter.

Marketing Rule #1: There is no such thing as bad pub.

This is the greatest, cheesiest ad campaign of all time. What we need is the cast from Ed Wood wearing the hats.

Dogs, dead folks, non-Devils, doofeses w/ painted faces & signed heads, Clint's mom, and even Metal Mike don't get top, err, bottom billing.

The absolute best part of the campaign are the red party hats w/ MPF written in w/ a sharpie. Forget Terrell Owens, The Sharpie corp ought to sign up Mark Lisi.

3. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    The only people talking about it are Bigsoccer peeps. And thats preaching to the choir. No one else in the world knows what MPF stands for. Take the Today Show example or whatever it was. If any of the items that Metro gave to theose people said "Metrostars" on them, it would have been a positive. Instead they went with MPF, which no one could ever decipher on their own, and we got referred to as "some seoccer league." Branding is key, MFO. Put 'Metrostars' on EVERYTHING.

4. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

One of the best "soccer mom's" of all time.

God bless her.

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Tell me this campaign isn't working.

6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

It'd be false advertising since he played the Star Spangled Banner in front of only 15,000 people earlier in the year

7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

The same way dead people (John Lennon, Einstein) with a caption (think different) helped make Apple Computer's advertising campaign one of the most successful and admired in history. Large versions of their ads are still hanging in their stores.

Seems to me these ideas are MFO brainstorming before deciding what splashpages to use on the site since the licensing for the images used would probably cost them close to the rental of Giants Stadium or more.

You can't use famous dead people's pics in advertising without paying their estate a fee.

I'm not trying to defend any of these ideas. I could really care less. I'm just looking at them in a different light.

8. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    I was wondering if Metro could be sued for the ad with the dead people. I guess they can be. You would think that someone in the MFO would realize this. I am not surprised.

9. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    I totally agree.

At first I thought that the plan was just a bad example to all MLS marketers. It's the opposite. It's about the best marketing campaign ever!

10. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    [​IMG]

Dude, Pantera's playing a post-game concert!!! THIS IS GUNNA RAWK!!

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can barely type. This is face-hurting laughter. This is Evil Dead 2 level laughter. Oh god...

12. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    You are out of your freaking mind if you think the MPF campaign is even 1/1,000,000th as creative as Apple's campaign was.

Then again you did claim to design the 2000 ESC scarf 9 months before the ESC.

Cumbayah.

13. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    You know, one thing learned from this is just how far off the radar soccer, or at least the MetroStars, is. If ANYone in the media (papers, sport-talk radio) had picked up on this MPF stuff, they would have had a field day.

14. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I was hoping that you could at least go back to the pretense that you do not work for Metro. Look at the posts you put up in the last 12 hours, all of which defend the ridiculous campaign and one of which actually presents a new version of the MPF advert that "you just received in your e-mail". Pathetic.

15. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Truly an exquisite touch.

16. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

No it's not even 1/1,000,000th as creative. That wasn't my point.
    No I didn't.

What I claimed was that scarf was based on a little logo I put together and used with my name before bigsoccer started charging for posting such things. I may even have used the word stolen a time or two.

The rest of the scarf, red and black patches included, consisted of entirely original ideas.

And it was the 2001 scarf not the 2000 scarf.

You must admit being invited to 101 to settle any differences personally was pretty funny, and yes, original.

As I promised in another thread I'll start using emoticon winkies so people will know when I'm serious and when I'm posting tongue in cheek or maybe I'll use the code (MTBFTR) for your benefit and there will be no question.
    This part of your post is accurate though I've yet to meet another person who knows Kumbayah has an alternate spelling.(MTBFTR)

17. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Stop the presses!

You had a point. Err what was it again?

You don't say! Don't you think that as an employee of Metro, it is a little disengenious to claim the supporters club that does a better job in marketing to your team than you do, stole an idea from you?

You knew what I meant.

You knew what I mean Part Deux.

Actually, I had no idea. When you came down to 101 where you wearing a MetroDog outfit by any chance?

Thanks. We all appreciate it.

18. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

If I were I suppose it might be but then again maybe not (MTBFTR)

What I do think is disingenuous is sneaking a peek into somebody's (probably an intern's) unprotected folder on the internet and claiming the pictures in it actually constitute a campaign.

Anyone who's ever actually been around advertising agencies knows the difference.
    Another alternate spelling right? (MTBFTR)
    I sent Walsh's brother, whatever his name is.

It had the same results. (MTBFTR)

19. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Spelling smack. The retort of retards.

Thanks for playing.

Good luck with MPF.

Woof Woof.

20. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Everybody who can't spell says that just like people who are broke say they'd rather be broke than rich because they're going to heaven or something like that.(MTBFTR)

21. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

You really think I photoshopped that and said I got it in an email from eurosport or something?

Now that's nuts.

Yes I really did get it in an email from eurosport.