Metro-DC post-game [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Real Ray, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see this started-so please merge if need be.

About the best thing last night was the fact the the horns were absent. At least we could hear 101. Some points:

1.Jesus, did Ben Olsen run riot on his side? They really worked the hell out of that side of the pitch.

2. I was in 133, so watching Convey put in a load of balls in the 1st half was awful. Way too many corners as well.

3. Kind of says something when Eddie Pope is out on the wing making a bunch of overlap runs.

2. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I was at the game and very disappointed at the result. IMP we lost because
    - No creativity from our midfield. Metro played a boring game.
    - When Mathis's PK hit the wood frame I knew we were going to have a bad night. He did not have scoring luck last night.

Congrats to PSC, you are loud and enthusiastic as ever! Hope you did not loose your voice.

3. coramdeo_10036

Sep 15, 2003
    New York
    Incredibly disappointing game.

1) Like everyone, I think highly of Ricardo Clark but he needs to demand the ball and initiatie plays to be an impact player. He did not do that last night.

2) Richie Williams- he hustles and is aggressive, but he just doesn't have the ball skill to play at this level. He makes me nervous everytime he touches the ball, and he doesn't have the speed to compete.

3) Mark Lisi is the most composed, skillfull player on the field for the Metros. He has very good first touch- outstanding vision, and plays the non-obvious balls nicely. I'd like to see if he can take his game to the MNT level.

4) Clint Mathis- i don't know. I just don't know about him- it's not the missed penalties- it's all the shenanigans, and he's one of those players who disrupts the flow of play. He gets it, and holds it too much.

5) Eddie Pope remains the best defender in the country by far. He could play anywhere.

4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    1) Joe Addo looked more like Kenny Arena. He let Petke get position on him on the header that hit the post and led to the goal and lost the ball at midfield. Bradley ripped into him as he just layed on the field like a beached whale.

2) Mike Magee was celebrating Rosh Hashanah a night too early as he was MIA. The only serious goal scoring threats came when Wooley replaced him at halftime.

3) How many times did the Metros get beat in the air in their own goal area? I lost track.

4) Haven't heard them get booed this loudly after a match since the 1999 season. Especially since there weren't many fans left at that point.

5) Was anyone else amused at the give-away the Metros had before the match? I believe it was supposed to be a "fan" (you know, the one you wave when you're hot). Sure makes sense to be giving them out in late September when it's scalding hot.:rolleyes:

It was pathetic. It was basically an ice cream stick stapled onto a cardboard sign with the Metros logo on it.

6) After having my car vandalized in the lot, my only bright point of the night was catching Eddie Pope's ball that was kicked into the stands before the game (didn't even drop it...sign me up as a back-up to Walker ;).

5. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Perhaps it is better to lose one now than during the USOC semis.

6. supermetros

supermetros New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Got up this morning @ 4:30 before work to watch the taped game. Thoughts:

1) How the f00k do you miss that pk? I know VanNeisteroy (sp) missed for ManU the other day in a bigger spot but at least he crushed his shot. Mathis' shot had nothing on it AND no placement. If it was on target, Rimando would have saved it. {stating the obvious}Could have been a different game if we even it up right there. {stating the obvious}

2) Clark, Edgar, & Guevara all have tons of speed and good ball fake moves. Unfortunately they can't pass worth crap once they beat their man.

3) I still like Addo but boy did he get schooled on that second move. His play early in the air was very suspect too.

4) Why is it all ex-Metros love to kill this team....see Petke last night (Williams, Chung,,,,,,)

5) Woly had the best chance of the night but then disappeared.

6) Overall, I can't stand our inconsistency. We seem to play one game on, then take the next one off (or at least the first 70 minutes off). Earlier everyone appluaded how great we are at coming back. Well now it's starting to bite us in the SS.

I will be on the bus to DC but I pray they don't put up another stinker like that down there.

Go Metros!!!!!!!!!

7. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    I think we're all in a bit of a state of shock, so noone has posted much yet.

1- I stayed up to watch that?
    2- DC Owned us, on the ball, off the ball, and physically
    3- Anyone else feel like vomiting after that wretched excuse of a penalty kick?
    4- Once again Amado showed why he's the straw that stirs the drink on this club. He was everywhere he should have been, and everywhere all the other strikers should have been.
    5- Was it very loud in the Swamp? Boxscore says 8,000, but on TV it was louder than most games ive seen. Crowd noise being pumped by ESPN maybe?

All that being said, I still love Metro, and like everyone else these feelings of disgust will only last until Sunday when we pound They Who Must Not Be Named 5-0...and then again on Wed :)

8. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    no guevara on sunday - caution point accumulation. btw, how caution points does a yellow card earn?

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Quote by Mathis regarding the penalty:
    "I just miss-hit it. I did well to get a good touch on it but I still didn’t hit it well. I took my eye off the ball "

Jeez, how can you take your eye off the ball when you're taking a penalty. Unbelievable.

10. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily I didnt get home till 2am so I missed the first half but I was disappointed to see Walker & the defense react so slowly to that ball off the bar...

And way too many balls just being banged up in the air to the middle.

11. supermetros

supermetros New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, we just aren't a strong team in the air.

It you watch our attack we also tried too many in crosses to no one. I hate giving any props to DC but at least their crosses were finding heads, particularly Petke early on. That's partially a statement of our poor defending (how did shorty Curitos get a head to any?!?!) and that they have players like Olsen and Petke who are good in the air.

I've never understood how our attack still attempts this style of play.

12. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just don't know anymore what is wrong with this team, they were a joke last night, no creativity at all, its absurd not to create a single chance on goal after 30 minutes of play. I have to wonder now what is this team doing in training. Don't they work on strategies, one-two passing combinations to attack the goal? Bradley made the right substitutions this time bringing in two forwards when we needed to score .The team had a better second half but overall it was embarrassing to watch them.
    I think we need some better players and the team needs some technical trainer or something to teach them how to pass, how to run into open spaces,work and develope a game plan, they need to go back to the basics. I love the Metro they are my team, but some players shouldn't be playing first division soccer.

13. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I laughed at the intelligence of Metro management when they handed out fans at the gate last night.
    Yes, you need a fan in a 60+ degree autumn evening!!! What a waste of money.

Why didn't they hand out the fans during summer?
    especially that infamous mid day game against Wizards in the middle of Auguest heat wave when it was 118 degrees in the pitch?

14. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    I dont understand our tactics at all, or at least the tactics as we played them on the field. As soon as a midfielder gets the ball into the attacking half, everyone runs away from him, giving him the options of:
    1-long ball
    2-switch ball
    3-back pass

What happened to our short game? Plus if our plan is to play direct/long balls, we need to do it quickly, instead of waiting ages until the defense has the time to get setup.

15. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Last nights match was extremely hard to watch...

Mathis= I was absolutely disgusted when Clint missed the PK... 1) you would think that someone with Clint's skill and experience would know not to slow down and hesitate on the run up to the kick... they teach this at the U10 level. 2) Nick Rimando isn't the tallest GK in the league... Mathis going low and slow on that shot is inviting Rimando to make a save...

Richie Williams= must go(back to DC)... Dont get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Williams and his hard-nosed playing style but he clearly is out of his league. Times are changing and the level of play in MLS is getting better but Richie just gets older.. His ball control is dissapearing little by little and he's been a huge detriment to this midfield. Only thing he has is experience and leadership and thats what Bob is hanging on to.. he should make for a decent destroyer in the A-league.

Magee= non-existent(think he needs the fro back)
    Edgar= nice runs, added flair to the left wing, but
    ultimatley unable to finish the runs with a good
    pass or cross.
    Woly= dangerous runs, most dangerous player in
    MLS that has absolutely no ball skill what so ever.
    Guevara= good player who would be so much
    better only if he could hit a decent long pass.
    Clark= not used to playing the wing, needs to take
    Richie's spot on the field, good defensively and
    good short passer.
    Lisi= such a good player with ball at his feet, plays
    well for 5 min. then takes a 10 min. break.
    Pope= deserves to be playing in Europe.
    Addo= when the match started i thought he was
    Eddie Pope from far away, after that second goal
    he looked more like Kenny Arena.
    Jolley= solid like always.
    Digi= looks good and bad at the same time.
    Walker= did what he could
    Jusko= Jusko who?
    NJSEA= thank you... u are the reason the Metros
    will have there own stadium soon(but not soon
    enough).
    soccer horns= only 4 or 5 could be heard(4 or 5
    too many)

A loss to DC last night will just make victory at RFK on sunday so much more satisfying..

VIVA METROS!!!!
    DOWN THE DC SCUM!!!

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Is this sarcasm? Are you for real? Those pricks out there last night haven't been pulling their weight for quite a while now. Why don't you join in the boos and stop "intellectualizing" another disgraceful performance.

Next home match is against the Burn. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Let's see how badly they can stink the joint up playing those stiffs.

17. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    I was at the game (133) and will always support the team but -

1 - Why would you start Addo over Zaidie? He cost us one point clearly and was awful throughout.

2 - I like Pope, but last night was the worst night in his MLS career. Late 2nd half he missed a shot on a cross from Clint that was like six inches from the goal line!

3 - Guevara is a prima donna. Much of the game he did endless dribbles back to our end or made dizzy circles. When he missed what should have been a good shot on goal he cried on the field, got the trainer out, and made us play a man down till his nibbs dained to come back in the game. He also, and this is a fact, backed off on every sinlge 50/50 ball he was anywhere near. He plays like a total wuss and while he sits out the next game he should from repent!

4 - No Show Jo, or whoever the new guy's name is, came on in the 2nd half for aprx 35 minutes. He made two unremarkable touches and was absent the rest of the match. It was like playing a man down with him out there.

5 - Gavin put in 110% the last game and looked great, he has also scored. Why was he not on the field. He would have been a much better choice than Edgar.

6 - Effort across the board was terrible. Defense let Walker down..he was checkmated twice.

7 - To end on a high note - atmosphere was very good at GS last night..The smaller crowd was very vocal, heard lots of cheers from a few places. Less horns, too. And right beofre the game it was nice to see that long Washington banner moved so the ESC one could go up. At game's end I was so disapointed in the team that I almost fainted, but luckily I had my trusty Metor fan and was abe to cool myself down.

To Sunday and back to Glory!

18. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    BACK to glory? What glory have you guys had to go back to?

19. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Yo Ignatz,

Did you see Wolyniec's goal from the Columbus game
    last Saturday night?

In case you can't recognize it, that's what glory looks like.

20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Easy there, tiger, I'm as disappointed as you are, I saw the same thing you did last night. I'm just trying to do some damage control here. Better to get the kinks out now in a league game while we're still seven clear of the drop zone for the playoffs than blow it all in a win or go home situation, that's all.

To be fair, the Metros have been subpar for the last three games, there's nothing new for me to gawk at.

21. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Yo Studsup,

One goal does not glory make. Glory to go back to is when one of your highest expenses is trophy polish.

22. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Don't you mean dust removal?

23. Soccer C

Soccer C New Member

May 6, 2001
    NY
    I doubt if they cost that much. Nick probably had the whole MFO stapling them together this week - ask Lazerbeak for confirmation ;)

24. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Say what you will about Woly being unpolished or technically rough around the edges but he does bring some excitement to the offense when he is on the field. Much more so than Magee who has almost become predictable when he has the ball.

25. Digilobo

Digilobo New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Queens, NY
    i agree that wolyniec is always exciting to watch -- the play that he missed was the closest to glory we came last night.

i'm not sure if that was pope's most disgraceful game but, if so, all players' worst games should be so admirable. after being continually disappointed with metros' complete inability to hold the ball, i was reminded of how much we need him as a threat to the attackers, and how deep in the whole we could have been without him.

i didn't realize that caution point accumulation has left guevara sitting in the corner wearing a dunce cap for the next game. (as someone already mentioned, i would also be interested in learning how these are counted.) as much as i respect his strengths, i can't help agreeing a bit with the "prima donna" charge. last night proved his fancy footwork doesn't always dazzle the opposition so much as make himself dizzy. you can only be punked by convey and complany so many times before your losing your fearsome reputation. he needs to bring back the flexibility and creativity in his attack that made him so dominant early in the season.

on the bright side, i did catch the nikesoccer commercial during the espn2 broadcast -- featuring man u's strange, new, american goalkeeper. call the folks -- timmy's big-time now!!