Metro at DC- [R] Pre & Postgame thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by jamison, Oct 30, 2004.

1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Our offense for so many games seems to consist sohely of the blind cross. Whip it in and and keep your fingers crossed. Supposidly Amado is this great playmaker. Perhaps earlier in the season he was, but where has he been? Everyone seems just to dwell on this 'points leader' BS. Half, perhaps even more than half, of his goals were off Pk's and set pieces that other players (mostly gaven) earned. I like Guevarra, he is my favorite player on the team actually, but lets not inflate his worth.

2. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    I'm starting to lose faith in Eddie Gaven's column, great that he's so optimistic but I don't like when he lies like that, he got me all excited and stuff. Not that it really matters, he's so good he can write whatever he wants.

Anyways we played great tonight and as usual the scoreboard doesn't show that. We may have lost, and our season may be over, but I honestly think that the metros were the better team tonight, they played their hearts out the whole game and it showed, I wish I saw that more often, oh well, there's always next year. Either way the way they played tonight showed how good they really are and they had a great season and should be proud of themselves, it sucks what happened tonight because they really could have won. I guess I can't say anything bad about Nick Rimando though.

Anyway great team, great game, great season and I'm sure they'll find a way to kick DC's SS next year.

3. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then where was the effort at home last week?

keep drinking the Kool-Aid

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    This is very true. Actually its a depicts METRO's season fairly well. Play well, dominate the game, not finish our chances and the let up a usuually weak flukey goal to lose. It probably unfolded like this a dozen times this season.

5. trmtrm

trmtrm Member

Sep 19, 2002
    New Sweater
    It's karma.

The BoB got away with the Gaven goalkeeper bit.

And tonight, DC had the advantage of an extra goal keeper.

I'm tired of karma.

6. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Seriously he can. I'm glad he's American, because Gaven can be scary good sometimes. He created your best chance tonight singlehandedly.

7. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    I was not happy that we started a game that we needed to win by 3 with only one striker. Maybe I have a limited understanding of the game, but in any event, we had to make a change at 29 minutes. Waste of a sub. Which came back to bite us in the ass.

8. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I ********ing hate Woly. His shot that everyone was a hand ball, would have been wide by a freaking mile. He is such garbage. SGR hustled he was involved, and his shot from outside the box was a good effort.

Look guys, the lineup that was on the second half with Lisi was probably the ideal lineup that Bradley had in mind. And it was working, well that is until Glen pulled up lame.

I'm not exactly sure why he started Gilberto, but you know what, I think Gilberto did his job in those 30 minutes. He had some bad passes, but he fouled, and he fouled hard. Gomez was non existant. DC was timid, and I think that allowed us to take advantage of DC as it went on.

Glenn my man, I love you but that header was a goal.

I love Clark. The anti-Magee. The guy is a player, he was by far and away the best player on the field.

I am happy Magee is out. One less douche-bag to bark at the ref pointlessly.

Lisi is so composed on the field. He makes the simple pass so well.

Finally, Pope was great tonight, so was Parke. Pope showed why he is so well regarded. He was physical, and he took initiative. Problem is Pope should have done that 1.5 months ago.

Still not sure what Bob was doing with the 4-5-1 with Woly up top.

Look, we had 20 good minutes today. Glen and SGR should have been the duo up top. Woly is an **************. He has done nothing for two games, and we gave him 135 minutes.

9. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Props to Traveling ESC

Not that they'll see this for awhile yet, but I wanted to give my thanks to the ESC that came down. I bumped into them just after the 2nd half started. A few just gave me dirty looks, but most seemed to be enjoying themselves and decent people. Thanks for making the trip and being great fans.

-dave

10. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Re: Props to Traveling ESC

Too bad MSG didnt show them.

11. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    MSG cameras showed Bradley talking to a DC United assistant (a former player of his) and wagging his finger at him. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but perhaps he was upset that DC United was still pressing hard in the 90th minute even while up 4-0 on aggregate? If so, that should be the least of his concerns.

Magee definitely developed a big head this year, but I think you see how much the Metros missed him these two games. He can create scoring opportunities and does a great job of coming back to help out on defense.

12. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003

Don't know if it's by design or bad luck, but when ever they are here they are stuck in this tiny little section behind the "north" goal. From there, I doubt there is any camera angle that is going to "catch" them under normal circumstances.

If it's a plan by the DCU front office, that sucks as there are other places they could go to get some "camera time" without encroaching on the Eagles or Barra (they are already have only a single section as a buffer with La Norte). If it's bad luck, you guys need to start asking for a different section (though it does look like a cozy little spot).

Any traveling fan groups should be commended and encouraged by the home side. We may not agree on our choice of teams, but it's all good for the sport and the teams.

-dave

13. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    The MFO has it's work cut out for next season.

In 2003, the advertising campaign was geared towards Bradley's arrival and their new logo.

In 2004, it was around the season opener with Adu and a promising 3-1 win, that gave Metro fans the false hope that this year would be different.

In 2005, what will their new campaign be?

It's going to take more than a Unity rubber band or their "Undeniable" campaign. With no First Round Pick and the likelihood of losing someone good in the expansion draft, unless the MetroStars sign Wayne Rooney, Giants Stadium is going to look like a NJ Nets home game on most days.

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    props to ESC that made the trip while being 2:0 down

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

MSG has made it a habit of NOT showing the ESC when possible. This is probably at behest of the MFO who do NOT see the value in helping to grow their supporters club.

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    We lose at home, we lose away,
    We lost last week and we'll lose today,
    But we don't give a fvck becaused we're all pissed up,
    We're Metro, FC !

17. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Just as an FYI, we sat where we did for security reasons, at the discretion of DCUtd. Our first choice was section 101 (co-incidentally), on the other side of the field. They mentioned that they could not seat us there and...(wait for it)......today section 101 at RFK was completely empty. Nice head. We'll have to figure something else out.

On the game, Metro played well for 80 minutes, but didn't look a very serious threat to score 2 goals. Possession, yes, Chances, yes, but we still seemed to be just that bit short, shots just too close to the keeper. If we were only 1 down it would have been a much more interesting game. The Glen injury killed us, as did what I can only assume was an injury to Gilberto.

I can't blame Bob or the team, we just didn't have it down the stretch. Coming into this game with two wins in 11, we weren't a likely bet to score 2 on the road vs. a team that is streaking. We played well, just that we didn't have it.

For some reason, Metro's season ended after the win on August 8th. We've played well at times since, but after that game we lost our momentum, and we lost the spark of the season that we played with early on. There have been no full games, no complete 90 minutes. Not sure if it was the result of injuries, concacaf qualifiers, whatever, but it seemed like our team went away and it never came back. Not completely. Starting right after that game, we dropped 3 of 4 and started on a slide from which we never were going to recover. Not completely. We had as good a team as anyone at that point of the season, and we came apart. 2-8-2 in our final 14, and no one could have realistically expected any team to turn that around in one night, on the road.

I support the team, they did play hard, they did try- we just didn't have it.

I am not ashamed of this team, though I am disappointed in the results.

Moving on...

[and, I'm not directing this at you, but at the attitude expressed]

I should hope you- and all of us- are willing to take a sh!tload of a lot more than that. Or else, we need to check our "doormattier than thou" fan behavior somewhere else. Being a fan of this team means more than posting about how often they step on us, means more than the "look what they've done to me" hand wringing about why we never win.

Rangers went 54 years without a cup. Who stopped supporting them? They were as popular in 1993 as in 1941. So? And, btw, they haven't won jack in 10 years either, 10 years that included 2, count 'em 2, work stoppages when they temporarily stopped playing so that they could ARGUE FULL TIME ABOUT DIVIDING THE MONEY FANS GIVE THEM.

The Metro have underperformed. So what? They either are your team or they aren't. There is no "I can't take more of this". We should be better, but we aren't. Some perspective:

Crap teams like Watford last won EPL/Division One when? Never. Since 1881...still waiting.
    Their fans still show up to be counted.
    Their management makes dumb moves.
    Their fans still show up to be counted.
    We're not fans of some 2nd tier bunch of wankers.
    Let's not treat ourselves and our team so cheaply.

Leeds, a few short years ago, were among the heights of English football. They've fallen out of the EPL, they have sold their training ground, are about to sell their stadium, and their best two players play for- of all teams- Man Utd. (viduka is, and always will be, crap).

Have they lost "fans"? Yes.
    Have they lost "supporters"? Not real ones.

The team lost. Nothing in that prevents US from growing up, and acting like adults.

And on to acting like Adults...

But Ma'am, do you really need to look a bit closer? Someone screwed up a cut and paste. I think we can all surmise that they weren't weeding through alternate assignments to get this wrong, it was an accident.

And how did having innaccurate information kill anyone? If MLS blew the assignments, and sent 8 refs to one game and none to the other, and had to cancel the game- I would have understood. But a "nasty note"? I'm sure you are exaggerating a bit (or I hope anyway) and that it was just "Hey, dumb@ss, wrong refs on the preview, hello?", but if not, it's pretty unfortunate that some dude intern working for peanuts inserts the wrong info into a preview, and we as genius fans have to tear the kid a second a-hole over it. This makes us better people? Calling them out for every accident? That site is leaps and bounds over where it was a year ago, muchless 2-3 years ago. To have streaming games online, pictures, articles, news...I can forgive a referee typo. I don't have anything for or against you as I don't know you, but you seem a bit high strung. That's all I'm sayin'.

18. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Sorry about what is going to be a stupid question but is F Taylor injured? I would think so. If so then Metro really missed him because he was the only player this year that did really well against United.

19. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 items from the game summarize the Metro season:

1) Wolyniec (lone forward) was subbed out at halftime for Cornell Glen. About 20 minutes into the 2nd half, Glen pulls up with what appears to be a hamstring strain. He plays the rest of the match hobbling on 1 leg and trying to readjust the wrap they put on his leg.

2) Late 2nd half, DC gets a freekick just outside the box. Dema Kovalenko curls it over the wall. Johnny Walker dives, but it clanks off the crossbar - falls and hits Johnny Walker's back as he hits the goal line, deflects to the 4, where Bryan Namoff scores his first ever (!) MLS goal.

20. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jamison - First off, good job by you guys going down and supporting the club.

But this really goes well beyond the team on the field (which really just needs a bit of tinkering and a hardass or two.). As for the Rangers (speaking here as a former blueseater), it was always damned frustrating, but you always got the idea that there was some overall plan involved and that they were close to doing things right (after that Kurri/McSorely trade things went to crap, but I digress). And the atmosphere was always incredible. What I am most ticked off about is that MFO doesn't seem to care. There has to be some reciprocation here and I just don't see it.

A message needs to be sent somehow to MFO to the extent of "Hey, we matter. Ultimately it's about the fans". Unfortunately right now I'm in rather a mood that any suggestions in getting their attention would result in 15-20 at the state pen sharing a cell with some guy to whom "********ed in the ass" isn't just a saying.

21. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to troll, but just wanted to get an idea of how you all are viewing the game and the season, sounds like you all have your work cut out for you.

As for Section 101 at RFK, it is reserved for some kids group that DCU does as a promotion. It would have been a good spot for you all to be, and it would have been nice to see you folks in the light rather than way back up there in the 300s. I hope you had no run-in's with any of us DCU fans!

Good luck next year!

22. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Did DCU have a kid's promotion scheduled for a short-notice playoff game? If not, the section was open & ESC's request should have been given serious consideration. DCU could just as easily have said, "for security reasons, you can't come".
    No one wants problems, but we don't deserve to be s**t on by DCU either.

23. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on the bus last night and spirits were high before and after the loss. We knew what we were getting into and even though I may not be much of a singer, the ones that were, sang the entire time and louder after the loss. Good job guys......

If only Triumph the Insult Comic Dog was accompanied with a 3-0 win.......

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The team may lose, but the supporters shall never surrender.....

If only.......

25. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I walked by 101, there were paper signs on it that said something like "Family section, no smoking no alcohol" but it was empty. Weird thing is um, I thought whole stadium was no smoking. CSC used to rush into Barra and pull out people for smoking even tho noone complained (till about half way through season when 10 of them got pushed out and never came back again).

Try boycot. First 30 minutes, sit down, no banners. Only 1 banner - something to the effect of we demand respect/dialogue with/from MFO (or similar). No singing, nothing. Then in 30th minute, flip your real banners over rail and raise as much hel as you can to try and make difference. If they don't get it after a while, then um I guess you have to wait till certain people get fired and someone that's educated (or willing to learn) about football support takes their place.