MET-NE Balance of Fouls (R)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by trmtrm, Nov 2, 2003.

1. trmtrm

trmtrm Member

Sep 19, 2002
    New Sweater
    From sitting in the stands, it was clear that one thing NE did successfully to take metro out of the game was by using an almost constant stream of fouls.

from the MLS site:
    NE: FOULS: 28 (Marshall Leonard 6)
    MET: FOULS: 11 (Amado Guevara 4)

Misconduct Summary:
    NE -- Marshall Leonard (caution; Pushing, Holding) 4
    MET -- Clint Mathis (caution; Pushing, Holding) 7
    NE -- Jay Heaps (caution; Professional Foul) 38
    MET -- Amado Guevara (caution; Pushing, Holding) 41
    MET -- Joey DiGiamarino (caution; Reckless Foul) 69
    NE -- Shalrie Joseph (caution; Persistent Infringement) 75
    MET -- Mark Lisi (caution; Pushing, Holding) 94+

I think Joseph had 5 fouls, and got a PI card for it.(hmmm, why was Leonard still on the field with 6 and a yellow?)

Those two NE players, Leonard and Joseph, had as many fouls as the entire metro side. That leaves 17 fouls for the rest of NE, still more than the entire metro side!

From the first whistle it was clear that the NE gameplan was to hack away and frustrate the other side, which they did to a successful result.

My question: why can't metro learn to hack away and not get carded?

(ohh, and we hope DiGi's OK. From the stands it looked like Cancela stuck his arm out an clotheslined him, making the collision far worse than it would have been.)

trm
    trm

2. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ
    I was talking to DiGi after the game and he said he was ok just a little dizzy.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    yes, that was a nasty attack by Cancela on Digi with his back. Amazing that he could do that while watching the ball as Digi came sailing in not watching the ball at all, but just planning on leveling Cancela. That is a straight red on Digi in any league in the world, even the tough ones like England and Germany. Digi did not even pretend to play the ball, it was just a straight out body slam.

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cancela stuck up his arm to protect himself. DiGi came in a half-second late at full speed - should have been a straight red and a suspension to boot. There's no place for that kind of play in soccer.

5. trmtrm

trmtrm Member

Sep 19, 2002
    New Sweater
    Re: Re: MET-NE Balance of Fouls (R)

I don't think anyone would argue that Digi was in control and the victim. Digi was out of control.

But from the stands it looked like his head/neck got snapped back pretty hard, and he could have damaged himself pretty bad.

More on point, though, is why does metro not seem to be able to dish out the constant flow of non-reckless, non-emotional, in-control fouls like other teams? Whenever metro starts to play the hack game, they always seem to jump right to reckless (like Digi's card), petulant (like Geuvera's), frustratred (like Clint's), or lazy (like Lisi's).

Two guys on NE dished out as many fouls as the whole metro team, and got only two cards for their effort. Metro gets four. The NE guys are doing something right.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: MET-NE Balance of Fouls (R)

seriously, this is called a professional foul- slow the play down but don't make it rough.It is a standard play in soccer.If you make it rough you get sent off, ala Digi.It is an absolutely required talent to be a pro defender or defensive midfielder.But all in all, it was not a rough game yesterday- the ref was a little card happy.
    Also, I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but Steve Nicol, the Revs coach, was one of the greatest defenders in the world. He was English professional player of the year in like 1989 or so.It is VERY unusual for a fullback to win that so you can imagine he was an absolutely incredible defender.He must be teaching the Revs defenders a trick or two.

7. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ
    But all in all, it was not a rough game yesterday- the ref was a little card happy

It figures a revs fan wrote this. There is a big difference between professional fouling and abusiveness. When you have a card and still committ hard fouls you should be sent off(Leonard&Joeseph). Digi could have been sent off, but if you watch the replay you would see he was looking at the ball not Cancela. To get a straight red would mean he was intentionally trying to hurt Cancela which was clearly not his intention.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the only wild play in the game was Digi's.The rest were fairly normal plays in a pro game. I heard or read no comments from anyone, including the Metros, that the play was abusive. Revs got a little lucky, Metro's defended a little sloppily- that is about it in my view.

9. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ
    Where in a rugby match?

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well, there was exactly one rugby play in the game.If you look above, even the Metro posters have said that.

11. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ
    I'm not saying Digi's foul wasn't bad. What I am saying is that some of the Revs warranted more from the refs. Mathis was fouled in the box in the first half and Clark got elbowed in the box also and nothing got called. I'm not blaming the ref for our loss coz we should have put the two crossbars away, and Pope should have cleared that ball in the box that Noonan scored on.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I thought the ref truly sucked, but he sucked both ways.The game didn't srike me as particulrly rough, but I watch a lot of German and English soccer, which is about 5 times rougher.This would be an unusually tame game in the English Prem.
    But I will grant you this: the Revs were freakin lucky.How McGee missed that chance is a wonder.I am sure he could not miss that again if he tried.Though Walker had an incredible save.

13. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ
    I got a question for you . you have been here for a while, how do you post pics and quotes. It was rough match by MLS standards. Even for Serie A matches it was lame.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    if you want to put quotes in, click on "quote" under the appropriate post. You can delete part of the quote if you go and delete what you want to remove, but leave the stuff in brackets. I am not sure how to post a photo myself.
    I don't watch much Serie A so I can't comment, but I guess we just disagree- I didn't think it was a particularly rough match, but we agree that Vaughn was not a good ref.

15. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ

Thanks

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you got it

17. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I only saw the first 13 minutes of the match or so. In those thirteen minutes, there were 3 blatant fouls against the Metros that were not called. The most blatant one was when the Metros were running at the Revs, Mathis had slid past teh defense and was going to make a run on goal. Gueverra has the ball, and is not able to even attempt to pass the ball, as Heaps ( I think it was him) had grabbed his shirt, and twisted him around. How this wasn't a carded foul was beyond me. Another was a blatant push by Rusty Pierce on Clint.

Not sure how the rest of the game, but the Gueverra foul was blatant, in a crucial situation. A simple through ball would have sprung mathis one on one with Adin. Would he have scored? I don't know, but that deserved a card.

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you need to distinguish between an actual foul and diving. Mathis went down too easy last game, especially in and around the box. But for the most part, the ref was horrible on both sides. If Vaughn took control of the game at the very start, I don't think the foul total would have been 28-11. I don't want to see another game like this on Sunday, so here is too MLS sending efficent refs for the playoffs. Seriously, Vaughn should not be able to ref another MLS match in his career.

19. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ
    I know Vaughn isn't the only bad ref in MLS. The only way to fix the ref situation is to have them all become FIFA certified, not ussoccer certified. Then we will see matches called correctly, including fouls for diving.

20. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, how about the absolute hack job that Mathis did on Heaps early in the game. There was no intent on playing the ball - just an absolute hack from behind - if it wasnt the third min of the game that would have been a red.

21. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ

A red card is shown only if the foul is blatantly an intent to injure. and don't bring up Digi's foul coz on the replay he was looking at the ball.

22. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then Digi is the stupidest person to play the game, because even I know that you don't run full speed into Cancela expecting to get ball. Cancela is too skilled to allow that to happen. He had intent to hurt Cancela, I don't care if he was looking at the ball. A red should have been showed. Maybe because he was too stupid to know how to injure a play and instead injured himself, the ref gave him a break and only the yellow.

23. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ
    It was a 50-50 ball, even you should know that, thats why he ran full speed... to try to win the ball

24. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, and he had a choice, be made a fool of or take the foul, hes the only guy who can do both.

25. Rossoneri13

Rossoneri13 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Rahway, NJ
    I don't think he's a fool for playing hard they were down by 2 and he was trying to make something happen. he is a defender who jumped into the play. no different when a defenseman jumps into the play in hockey.