Message to Quakes Players Post-Galaxy Match

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Aquari, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    You better avenge this loss in August.

We can't be playing our most bitter rival in California and get kicked in the groin at our so called HOUSE (even if the San Jose fans--I mean, the REAL San Jose fans got treated like second class citizens in the Coliseum).

Since most of you are new to the San Jose history, I refer you to the San Jose-LA Galaxy match of the playoffs in 2003. If you're old enough to remember that match, or been in the league to remember that match, or were even part of that team in that match, I refer you to watch it over and over again.

That is what San Jose is all about: it's all about having the heart and conviction to win. I agree that the match was an anomaly, very few teams have come back from being 4-0 down on aggregates and actually win but again, the heart and conviction---it will lead you a long, long way.

I understand that sometimes it is hard to compete when half your lineup are decimated by international duties and injuries on top of getting overloaded with Beckham this and Beckham this.

But forget about Beckham! Respect him just like you respect other players in the league BUT never get outplayed, especially at HOME!

2. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would send this to John Doyle so that he gets some better players.

3. Azzy

Azzy New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Concord, CA
    Well spoken Aquari.

4. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think these players need a big reality check.

Our 03 Quakes responded to the fans. These players seem like hissy fit b!tches.

Ultras display a banner against Dynamo: "Wake up its time to win!"
    How do the players respond? Not acknowledging us after the game.
    They feel like we should blindly support them in the fullest.
    Well they have some news coming to them..

5. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    There weren't many redeeming qualities from our team in that match. I know we were missing players, but that should have been more inspiration for the guys who are usually on the bench, but they didn't show much life. Shea Salinas really needs to learn how to finish.

6. Chewie23

Chewie23 Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shae Salinas will not last in the league more than 3 years.

He's one of those, come play for a few years, get waived, and never get picked up again.

I'm not impressed in him at all.

But yes I couldn't agree more, the players need a wake up call asap.

7. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I think Salinas is great! Except for his defending and his finishing. His defending wouldn't be a concern in a different system, like a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3, but his finishing is just unacceptable.

8. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    I agree. You would think a seasoned veteran like Salinas would have the savvy to finish his chances. :rolleyes:

9. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
  10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Come on, folks. I don't think anyone feels worse about the loss and the way they played than the players. They don't need a scolding from the fans on top of it. The magic just doesn't always happen. I refer you to the last game that the Quakes played before they were relocated. Spartan stadium, against LA.

I am disappointed that they seemed to come out flat last night. I think they were possibly trying to let the game come to them a bit and got bit by the early goal, and couldn't recover. If they had gotten a goal back at 1-0, and they nearly did, it would have been a different match I think. But the magic just didn't happen last night.

I do hope they come out inspired the next time against LA and I think they will. They'll remember this game and they'll be looking for a payback. But they don't need to be scolded into doing it by the fans. They're going to do it anyway.

Yep. He'll be OK. He gets by people, he crosses the ball pretty well, I don't see why he can't learn to be at least passable as a finisher. He's a rookie finding himself in front of the goal and 40k people, and he rushes his shot a bit. That'll get fixed over time.

11. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what was your opinion of DeRo in early 2001? I'm not saying Salinas will turn into a DeRo, but I think Salinas works hard like DeRo2001 and is showing potential.

12. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    But, Jazzy---this is LA we're talking about! I would rather lose all matches as long as we take care of business against the Galaxatives! Ok, include Houston for that matter.

We're just venting, that's all. I know our time will come but it's still hurts so f----ng bad because it's LA!

13. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Danny Califf's additude toward LA in 2005. In the 2nd LA game he had Landon standing right in front of him near the mid-line and he gave Landon a little shove to the ground.

As a fan, I pictured it as a symbolic " this one is from your former Quakes fans".

I'd prefer the Quakes'08 players to have that same attitude. The LA game isn't a family reunion to catch up with old pals. If you want the respect of this fan take that game seriously and make sure if nothing else, LA regrets ever stepping foot in San Jose.

14. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Exactely.

Instead of the club asking us, "Are you with us?",
    We should ask the club, "Are YOU with US?"

15. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

match of the playoffs? More like most underrated, best match in soccer history. It's amazing to me that you never hear about it, aside from MLS broadcasts.

16. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    BINGO!

17. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I remember, distinctly, prior to that game, Califf saying (and I think it was directly to me and several other fans), "I can't wait to kick him."

18. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I want Danny C back. NOW!

19. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Get your Scandinavian net out!

I remember clearly where he said that although I can't remember the exact date. We were talking to him in Auto Alley.

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I hear ya. But I think the players know. I expect that they'll come out with a lot of intensity the next home match against the Gals and will be looking for revenge. That's what I'll be looking for. I'm not looking for guarantees of victory but intensity, and then we'll see what happens in the match. 'Cause as I said, the magic can't happen every game. You can't control that. But you can control the intensity.

I missed the first half hour waiting in line to get into the stadium so I don't know how the match started. When I came in it at 35 minutes or so, it looked like they were having a hard time "figuring out the game" as Yallop said. I felt like LA was having too easy a time taking the ball through the midfield. I didn't see the kind of ball-hawking / challenging for possession there that would have liked to see.

21. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, you can't match the intensity every game, but there is no excuse not to have the intensity for a game against LA. Frankly, at the moment, LA is a quality side who is playing with some confidence. Even worse, they have a good manager. Unless Houston gets there act together, I expect them to win the West this year.

22. supafrye

supafrye New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    San Jose
    yallop is not the kind of coach to get into the grill of the players and tell them they aren't cutting it. instead, during th after game interview, he says that he was pleased with the effort. total disconnect from what i witnessed.

23. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Could you imagine Califf and Garcia in our back line? SOLID!

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't think he really said that he was pleased with the effort overall. He made some kind of comment like he's made before about the young guys doing the best they can but lacking in experience.

"We had two rookies on the field, Adam Smarte started, and he had not seen any minutes, and Jamil Roberts came on as a sub. We make no excuses, these guys have been with us for a bit and tried their best but I think it showed we're lacking quality in some areas."

This quote is kind of perplexing to me. Roberts came in after the Gals had already scored 3 goals. And I thought Smarte played fairly well. I don't think problem was really "the rookies".

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I saw. We just looked "out of it" for lack of a better term. It didn't feel like the team was in it, and of course the majority of the crowd was in it for the wrong reasons. Probably the reason I retreated to the west side club for most of the second half to drown my sorrows in fake beer. I'd invited friends who had never seen the Quakes play and all they came away with was complaints about the stadium and the feeling our team is laughable at best on field. I was hoping we'd pull out another performance like we did against Houston, instead it looked like we didn't care.