Meredith of MSNBC is Portuguese ?

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by eurodad, Sep 30, 2008.

1. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
  2. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I knew she was portuguese, or figured she was anyway, but I'd like to thank you for the link both me and my dad enjoyed it.

3. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Your welcome bud.:) I really enjoyed it myself. Actually that would not be a bad thread. Famous American/Canadians of Portuguese decent.

4. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I knew she was of Portuguese descent for a few years now... didn't know her parents were from Azores though until a few months ago when I read about her going to the Islands to do this documentary.

5. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    It is interesting how long the Portuguese have been in New England area. Chops, do you know how early we arrived in the New York/Jersey area ?

6. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Yeah i knew she was Portuguese.
    That was a nice video. I didnt know that the Portuguese came here so long ago.

7. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton

I dont know about USA but in Canada, there is evidence that Portugal explorers had been to Canada as early as 1452 but no "proof" of any them actually staying. Earliest records of Portuguese immigrants was in what was called New France in 1668.

8. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    I've heard of that two, that it was actually the Portuguese that discovered the "New World". I meant I didnt know they came here to settle so early on. Cool history lesson.

9. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    first Canadian mail man was Portuguese. Last name was silva and he ran a route bewteen montreal and quebec city. there is even a commorative stamp

10. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Was that "Portuguese Joe" ?

11. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    wow its weird seeing her uncles and aunts or whatever they are portuguese but dont talk with an accent at all, they came along time ago it was a interesitng video.

12. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    He relative in Portugal, the old lady, didnt look thrilled to see her, lol!!!

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That girl Portuguese? Go figure...never really liked her though. She does look like she would be from the Azores though...

Meh, I favor Madeira..lol

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    why do you say that? maybe cuz of the lighter features she has? Interesting they said something about "flemish" background in her family.. apparently some settlers to azores came from Flanders which I think is a area in Netherands.

15. Couto

Couto New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Norcal
    Thousands of the Flemish came there. They founded Horta, Faial. They completely assimilated though. You can only see them in the blue eyes/ blonde hair.

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Do not know, most people that I know from Azores tend to have lighter features. The people from Madeira in contrast tend to have darker features I find...

17. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would agree with your statement. madeira didnt get any settlers from flanders like azores did.

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Probably helps that Madeira is located off the coast of Africa and is the most Southern location of Portugal.

19. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I knew she was Portuguese. Nice Video.....Still Pico FTW!!!!

20. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Porto Santo ftw, its got a nice beach.

21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah in Madeira, beautiful long beach with crystal blue waters. I really think the Portuguese government there should they about developing that island and that 9 KM stretch of beach more...

22. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    hot river...FTW!

23. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol took me a while to figure out the hot river! haha Sao Jorge FTW, if we are going to play this game!