Meredith Beard takes a leave of absence

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Aug 22, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From page 9C of the 8/22 USA Today:

Announced F Meredith Beard has taken a leave of absence. Activated M Sarah Kate Noftsinger from the reserve team.

2. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    So what's going on here? Why do you think she wouldn't wait the extra couple of days for the cup to be over? Is it possible that she doesn't feel comfortable playing, or this was strategic? Or what? Smells fishy...

Well good luck to Flo and I hope that everything is ok with her.

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows? Maybe she's pregnant or something.

4. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Kinda sucks...but at least Skate will be playing in the cup now!

WAR SKATE

5. FreedomFan526

FreedomFan526 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Virginia
    Someone on the WUSA boards said that Meredith's sister is getting married on Saturday so that is why she will not be at the game.

6. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    YEA SKATE!!! I hope to see her play in the final!! :D

7. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    The WUSA Insider newsletter said Meredith took the absence because she was attending her sisters wedding.

8. FreedomFan526

FreedomFan526 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Virginia
    What is the WUSA INSIDER newsletter?

9. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    So who would have rather seen Beard instead of Milburn come in for Barr? Or seen Emmy just moved up to forward for that matter...

10. GoFreedom

GoFreedom New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I most definitely would have rather seen Beard, but given the fact that she had not played or even traveled to the last 4 or 5 games, it is no wonder she opted for her sister's wedding. Hopefully she will be back next year and be able to get into the mix from the start. Dumping Milburn and keeping Beard is a no brainer.

11. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, when Milburn came in I thought that that was about it for the Freedom. I sure hope she's not back here next year.

12. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    The only time I heard her name or really saw her on the TV screen was when she was substituted in.

13. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think she crossed the ball once. That was about it.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sister's wedding or not, missing a championship game is a career-ending move.

15. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. I wouldn't expect to see her back in DC at least next year.

16. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    But if she was not getting minutes during the season ahead of Milburn, then why would she expect to be back on the team next year. She probably knew the situation and made her decision based on that.

17. GoFreedom

GoFreedom New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I did a little asking around and she left with the team's, coaches, and gm's blessing and the promise it would not effect her status. Whether she is on the team, will have to do with her ability, not the fact she "was excused" for the championship game.

Skipping a game (albeit a championship game) for a huge family event (she was the maid of honor), is not a career ending move, despite the apparent "wisdom" of AndyMead. Pro athletes do it all the time. Meredith was not in the mix for the past few weeks, and the coach excused her on that basis. If the coach really thought he needed her, he did not have to release her and she would have been dropped from her contract had she not been in Atlanta.

Meredith is a promising player and I believe she will be back next year.

And yes, towards the end she was getting minutes ahead of Milburn.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I disagree. She was not injured, and nobody died. She's paid to be a member of the team. The team plays only 23 out of 365 days.

The "team" may consider her status fine, but I bet a fair number of her teammates, or possible future teammates will question her dedication to the team. Everyone makes sacrifices. Professional athletes miss anniverseries, weddings, funerals, etc. all of the time. It is the nature of the business. It's one thing to miss a regular season game on family business, but we're talking about the championship game. The one thing that these players are playing for.

She placed herself before the team. Maybe some players won't have any problems with that, but I bet that some will. This isn't my wisdom. It is my opinion. That's all.

I think she made a professional mistake. I'm not saying that it was wrong of her to attend her sister's wedding. We all make choices, and this may have been the best choice for her. It is my opinion, however, that there will be negative professional implications because of the choice she made.

19. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    No they don't, not for a championship match. If someone died it might be different, but even then a player will usually make every attempt to get back for the title match itself (even if they miss training and surrounding events).

This didn't sit well with me before the match, and it sits even less well with me now since we really could have used her in the last 10-15 minutes and had to deal with @#%^* Milburn instead. If having Meredith at the wedding was so important to her sister, why did she schedule it at the most important time of the WUSA season where Meredith could face the biggest possible obstacles to attending?

20. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    1) When was the last time Jimmy played Meredith in a match? No guarantees she woulda played in this match. Jimmy has a thing for Milburn.

2) Could be a multitude of reasons why her sister scheduled the wedding on the day that she did. How could she have known that Beard was going to be on the roster at the end of the season and that the Freedom were going to be in Atlanta on August 24th?

21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking along the same lines. I'm wondering if the reason she's not getting playing time is because she's really not that motivated. It would explain this situation as well.

22. Oddball#34

Oddball#34 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Apex, NC
    Flo

Meredith's sister probably scheduled her wedding a while ago. I know most people schedule a year ahead in order to get the place they want most. How was she to know a year ago where Meredith would be, title game or no. Plus, I would be disowned if I back out of my sister's wedding.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Flo

You are not a professional athlete.

24. Berly16ROX

Berly16ROX New Member

Sep 27, 2001
    Virginia
    Sisters are sisters, whether one is a professional athlete or not...

25. Oddball#34

Oddball#34 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Apex, NC
    your opinion.

My sister and I have a bond that no one else can share. Most siblings have that bond in some way shape or form. I am sorry if you never experienced that Andy, but from personal experience my wedding 8 yrs. ago was planned 13 months in advance. The USMC tried to change that. They lost. Sorry, even the military could not change my wedding plans.

Being the matron of honor at my sister's wedding was the most important thing to me. Pro athlete or not. No I am not a pro athlete now. But family will and always has come first in my life. Whether it be a wedding or what. I remember Lorrie Fair missing a game last season for a "friends" wedding, I guess that is something men don't understand.

Sorry Andy, you are wrong!!!