Meola Thread ("It's the second worst move in MetroStars history", etc.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Yea, there is a difference with starting experienced keepers compared to a second year player who has played in 3 games now. He didnt show anything, you can't just hope he has a great year with the defensive problems we already have.

2. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    DC has 4 cups with CRAP keepers every time they won. F- it, this country has a wealth of goalies. We only have 12 teams, its not like the talent pool is diluted even when u factor in playing abroad.

Our best season was with Amman in the nets and no one thought he was good when he came here. He just had an awsome defense in front of him.

Only way i'll take meola is if he's player/coach (sorta like stoichkov was with the fire) this way he gets paid as a coach and doesnt take up cap room.

3. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Enough said. Amman was awesome. I guess the whole league voting him as an all star meant nothing.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Word around where? Certainly not in Kansas City. If anything, Meola was a saint this season. He pretty much went the entire season without cussing his defense out. A real change. Meola's main problem in Kansas City is salary. Certainly not attitude, nor his relationship with his teammates.

5. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah, Tony has said countless amount of times that he likes his live in KC and doesn't want to move because he's settled there already.

Wells is an interesting thought, but he's to inexperienced. I would like to see him play behind Tony..just like Timmy did. If you notice, Timmy was pretty vocal with his defense at times and I guess a little like Tony. Maybe he can do the same to Zach.

Also, experience is needed on this team, especially in the defense. Walker isn't vocal enough. He's a media friendly guy, great goalie in general, but as a leader, he isn't the best. He'd do well with the 2000 team maybe, but not in the defense thats lead by Silent Eddie. It just won't work. Ammann, Meola and Howard were all leaders and aggressive keepers who looked like they were gelled with the team (I dunno about Meola but he seemed to me from what I understand to be a true Metro)....Walker doesn't give me that impression. Even Grafer looked more Metro.

It's tough. I like having Walker on the team. But he needs to play more the role of a leader.

6. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Nick have now given the phrase "flip-flopping" a new meaning.

Only a day after saying that talks pertaining to Meola were "fairly in depth" (his exact words), and after Tony rips Nick for airing his opinions to the press, he is now back-tracking on his original comments and claiming he only spoke to KC as a "courtesy" :rolleyes: :

"They called me because they're shopping Tony and I'm always curious to hear what teams have in mind," said Sakiewicz. "Is there a deal? No, there is no deal."

"If that's how things are going to be run then that's not a place I want to be," said Meola. "For me, if you're not happy with someone you let them know. You don't go to the press and air things out there."

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr...lRUV5eTY2MjAwNTEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2