Men's College Basketball 2003-2004 (NO SMACK)

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by WarrenWallace, Sep 25, 2003.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Here's a tough one:
    "How many points does a 3-point field goal account for in a Basketball Game?"

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Too bad they couldn't beat Texas Tech first. BTW, this doesn't qualify as "smack"? (and don't jump on me, I'm a Tiger fan, but I guess I've been one for so long that I know better than to make statements like the above).

3. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Duke didn't play well last night. Maybe they were looking ahead a bit to UNC, but I doubt it. Bad shooting night.

That loss means that there are two #1 seeds still up for the taking (as of right now). Duke, UConn, Miss. St., Kentucky, Pitt, Gonzaga, OK St, and Texas seem the most likely to get them. Personally, I'd say that Duke and Kentucky get them right now. They're the top teams in the top 2 conferences, IMHO. Pitt would be my next choice, especially after the big win they had over Providence.

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    As a Tar Heel, I'm not happy about the Duke loss at all. I just don't see Dook losing two straight at Cameron.

As for the #1 seed, I think it's still Duke's to lose. Even if they lose Saturday, as long as they win the ACC tourney, they still have the top seed locked up. The last #1 seed? It's between Ky, Gonzaga and Pitt, not necessarily in that order.

5. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Part of me agrees with you that Duke will come out on fire vs. NC after the GT loss. But I thought the same thing would happen when Duke went to WF after the NC St. loss. Look how well that turned out.

If Duke loses to NC then bows out in the first round of the ACC Tournament, the become a 3 seed. That's my worst case scenario. I don't think that will happen though. I'm more inclined to think that Duke beats NC on Saturday in a classic, wins their ACC q-final game, then either loses in the Semifinals or Final. That should be enough to get a #1 seed, IMHO, worst case then would be a #2.

It will be interesting the next week and half to see who solidifies themselves as true contenders for the #1 seeds though.

And before I forget, huge win for MD last night. Didn't see the game at all, but congrats Terp fans. ESPN has you as a lock now and off the bubble with that win. That win also gave Duke the ACC regular season title - which is nice but only really means we play the winner of 8/9 in the ACC Tournament.

6. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Stanford is officially the luckiest team in the country. I gotta believe that they are ripe for the picking in the NCAA's. Their luck can't last forever, can it?

7. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    After watching them come back against Oregon, pull out the game against AZ, and then snatch this win tonight against WSU, I have the opposite reaction -- this might be a team of destiny. The win tonight was just ridiculous. When a team pulls out numerous wins like that, you have to think about whether something else is at work. Besides, they're pretty damn good even without the luck. I'm sure they'll make at least to the sweet 16. For any team to make a run past that, it needs a break or two. Stanford is good at creating its own breaks. We'll see.

8. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    I only saw the last 2 minutes of the Stanford game, and, yes, they are lucky, but WSU made some key mistakes down the stretch there. The foul on the 3-pointer, not being clear enough on if there was a timeout call on the 5-second violation, and there was even a foul on the last shot, though I think, had that shot missed, and the foul been called, there might have been a near-riot at the arena.

That said, it was an excellent comeback for the Cardinal, and one that could send a non-unbeaten team on a tear at the exact right time. If they go into the tourney unbeaten, they probably have a better shot than St. Joes of running the table, just because of the close-game experience. I think they'll go into Washington and blow the Huskies out in the finale though, just a hunch.

9. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Wazzu gave that game away, but credit to the Cardinal for pulling it out.

But I think UW wins on Saturday. They need another big win to bolster their resume. A win over Stanford has to up their RPI some. If UW wins on Saturday, and then loses in the final of the Pac10 tournament to Stanford, I think they get a bid. If they don't win Saturday, UW has to win the Pac10 tournament. Huge game in Seattle though.

10. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Believe me SueB you are pretty enough that I would love to jump on you ;) but alas I'm happily married!

Anyhoo, I'm 100% positive that MU will cream KU on Sunday.

11. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    Stanford

Great teams make things happen.

But, I'm a believer in not having a long winning streak heading into the tournament. While I think Stanford is the best team in the nation, it would be better for them to lose to UW or in the Pac-10 tournament.

The last team to make it to the NCAA Tournament undefeated, UNLV, was an absolute powerhouse but still lost to a team it drubbed in the previous year's final four.

Kentucky was on most people's lists last year with a long winning streak heading into the tournament. But luck, and/or injuries always seem to catch up with these type of teams.

The last time a team went undefeated is 1976. Indiana had Scott May, Quinn Buckner, Kirk Benson, et. al. It was a totally different time in no way comparable to 2004.

That being said, if Stanford make it to the tournament undefeated, I'll be rooting for them all the way (unless they're playing Arizona).

12. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Well, yesterday's results made me happy.

Washington pulls off the upset over Stanford. I think the Huskies would be a lock for the Dance if they could have hung on for the win at NC State. Now they need to at least make the semifinals or final of the Pac10 Tournament and have either Arizona or Stanford win the Pac10 tournament to get an at large bid. If some other team besides Arizona, Stanford, or Washington wins the Pac10 tournament, I think Washington is in the NIT.

Duke didn't play particularly well on the offensive end last night in their win, but their defense stepped up. Deng shook off his horrible night v. GT and had a career night. I was also happy to see Randolph play well last night. He had some big blocks and boards. I think that win clinched a #1 seed for Duke.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Been a bit since I posted here.....

Regular seasonm over and I think the race for the National Championship is WIDE open.

Duke, UConn, Pitt, Stanford, Mississippi State, Kentucky, and Gonzaga IMHO have the best chances of winning it all. St. Joe's is too dependant upon its outside shooting, and that doesn't get you very far in March when you'll have to face teams that defend the perimeter well (a hallmark of BCS Conference teams).

But then you start talking about teams that can make a run...

The Defending National Champs
    North Carolina
    Arizona
    Michigan State
    Wisconsin
    St.Joe's (if they get hot enough they can beat anyone)
    Georgia Tech
    Texas
    Kansas

it should be a GREAT tournament and I'll have fun watching as I don't expect TOO much from this years Cuse squad. Just too young and still lacking a true pg with Edelin gone.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    agreed. But you'd rather see Duke play great defense than great offense. Defense can keep you in games when your offense fails. It got Indiana to a National Championship game. I also think they got a desrved #1.

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    heh.

Oh, well. KU ruins the last game at the Hearnes Center, 84-82. (btw, soccertom, I remember going there when it was brand new ...). Great comeback in the last 5 minutes for Mizzou and a huge game by AJ, but that's just the way it works. The Tigers always keep your hopes until the end just to make the eventual loss that much more knife-twisting. That's the way it is and that's the way it's always been.

Guess we'd better win the tournament.

BTW, my dad was telling me Quin Snyder's job isn't all that secure. Hear anything of that?

16. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Agreed that playing well defensively keeps you in more games. It's just so much easier to watch when your team plays well on both ends of the court.

Good win for Cuse today. I think that ended UConn's hope for a #1.

Out of curiosity, how do you all feel about UW's tournament resume? They open the Pac10 tournament against UCLA, the only team that swept UW during the regular season. It's going to be interesting to see how the Selection Committee sees UW if they don't get the Pac10's automatic bid.

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fully admitting I am probably biased since I graduated from Ohio State, but did anyone else think Illinois got a nice fat gift from the officials tonight at the end of the game?

It's widely known that the top teams in the Big Ten get calls against the poor teams, even on the road. Drives me crazy, but I've got a laundry list a mile long with absolutely horrendous calls that have benefitted a ranked Big Ten team that was up against the ropes against a bottom feeder.

18. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    [exhales]

19. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    And we dance...

Amazing crowd tonight at Comcast. I don't think I saw a single student leave until 5 minutes after the game was over. Best part of the game though was seeing Chris McCray hit that shot from around the free throw line off the flex cut. Reminded me a lot of Juan Dixon and Drew Nicholas, who both got 6-8 points a game off that same play.

20. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington doesn't deserve to go to the NCAAs. One big win doesn't make a season. The Pac 10 is dreadful this year that is why Washington is 12-6 in the conferance. 10 of Washington's 17 wins this year came against teams 100 or below in the RPI. That schedule doesn't need to be rewarded.

Having said that, the NCAA comittee will most likely put Washington in the field because of the win over Stanford.

21. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Word on TigerBoard.com is that he is very much in the hot seat. He's what... 2-9 against Kansas, and 0-4 against Illinois? Not to mention never finishing above 5th place in the Big XII. He's definately made some good runs in the tourny, but you gotta play well all season to keep fans happy. These, along with the allegations and the problems that program is facing, I'd be calling for a change if I were a Tigers fan.

Glad I'm a KU fan! :)

Watching that win over Mizzou today put a stamp on a pretty happy season for me and a lot of other KU fans. My favorite preseason claims....
    - "This is the best Mizzou team... ever! Final Four bound baby!" Try NIT

- "UNC has the most talent in the country, add a great coach and how could they go wrong?!" Swept by Duke and .500 conference record. No refunds or exchanges, sorry.

- "Kansas is in a down year. You can't lose two lottery picks without skipping a beat." I'll be the first to say they are clearly not where they were the prior two seasons, but who keeps up the pace of Final Four caliber teams every year? Losing a great coach and two lottery picks to losing 7 games and back to back top 5 recruiting classes... Who wouldn't take that? Only thing that remained constant is sweeping Mizzou! :D

It's been a good season, lots of ups and downs, but still a good season. Roy doesn't turn out to be the savior, Quin is close to getting his program on probation, KU sweeps Mizzou, Duke sweeps UNC, Big 10 and Pac 10 are down... really down, looks like it'll be a mid-major Tournament this March, Kansas is likely to be sent to Kansas City for the tournament (barely) and they appear that they might be peaking. I'm pretty happy looking back on the 2003/04 regular season. Now if KU can get to the Sweet 16, I be happy. Elite 8? Extatic. Further than Roy? I'll be throwing a party.

22. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, I was wrong about Washington. 13(not 10) of thier 17 wins came against teams ranked 100 and up in the RPI. No way they get in.

23. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ah! God, how could I have forgotten to mention the best thing about this season. The best part about this season, hands down, has got to be beating Mizzou in what would have been the final game at the Hearnes Center. We tainted the legacy of that building in every Mizzou fans eyes by forcing them to play an NIT game there and it will be in front of about 2,000 people. Hey, I don't blame them, I would throw up if the last game at Allen Fieldhouse is an NIT game, I sure as hell wouldn't go. But god, that just made my season, ruining the Hearnes Center, for all-time in a great game that Mizzou could have won had they just amde some free throws and more than one player decided to show up.

That's all. :D

24. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the winner is>>>>>

I find. Confrence USA's ending ostracizing. A five way tie. Now being, the blackknights are exiting going back to independent (Hint Hint only football). Governance is in order for a season. Well half way in order.

Nice way to end. If University of Kentucky can get past bulldogs, it might be nice for rematch with bulldogs.:cool: Looking forward to Atlanta, G.A. from defenestration;).

Louisville=Alcazar was once in Feburary and not anymore.
    Missouri=Previously dug trench. It just got flooded.
    Washington=Stemmer disillusions but idioms can cause contusions.

25. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Washington should definitely dance. In another year they sit home -- but with so many weak bubble teams, and the lack of mid-majors that have staked a claim to the dance, I think Washington should get in. Yeah, the Pac-10 is down this year, but UW did beat the only teams in the conference that are "locks" -- AZ (twice) and now Stanford. Plus, just watch them play. They're playing some pretty damn good basketball, and have been for the last two months. Shouldn't that matter more than their RPI?