Mendieta leaving Boro, heading to the USA?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by dl, Feb 6, 2007.

1. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
  2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Boro manager Gareth Southgate - "There's something happening in the USA that may be a possibility"

MLS is such a heavyweight.

beyond RBNY, i would think any team with a SI spot and some money to spend would be interested in Mendieta. it will be interesting to see which team does acquire him (i'd imagine a DP slot would be used, but i'm not sure if that's a solid/wise investment) and how he performs if he does sign with MLS.

if he does play for RBNY, i'm looking forward to many threads debating "Is Gaizka better than Amado?"

3. wingzero13

wingzero13 New Member

May 13, 2004
    Denver, CO
    how is it possible that he is able to leave before the end of the season? i thought you were only able to move to another team during the designated transfer windows. would the team be "releasing" him like what we were all hoping would happen with beckham? or is he out of contract? i know mls rules are different, how does mls make it possible for a european player, who is still part of an epl team, able to transfer before the season is over? i never really understood how the rules worked, or maybe i just misread the article.

4. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Can we sticky something at the top of this forum regarding when the MLS transfer window is so we can avoid posts like this for the next month and a half?

5. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    If Boro releases him it would be like the Reyna situation. The player would be available on a free, Boro wouldn't have to pay the remainder of his contract, and transfer windows (Euro or MLS) wouldn't matter.

6. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The transfer window that applies is the window of player's destination. Any player can come to MLS until April, but MLS players could not transfer to England until June.

7. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    The way I understand this, a player whose contract has expired may sign outside the window. I'm sure that covers literally running your contract out, but I'm not sure if that covers a mutual agreement to end the contract and allow your exit. Depends what expired means.

http://www.fifa.com/documents/static/regulations/Status_Transfer_EN.pdf

It's my understanding that the window that matters is the one for the team that signs you; thing being, teams with the normal windows probably usually want to work deals during those windows, when they can buy replacements and otherwise cope with a departure. However, a player whose exit is inconsequential might be an exception.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    He's 32, "has struggled with injury", and has rarely seen a competitive match in the last year.

He's a budding Seba Rozental at 10 times the price.

You know, when DC was going after Ruy from Botafogo, I thought finally the league was getting it, finally someone was understanding that there's a whole continent down there of players who can be had who maybe aren't quite good enough to take up a foreigner slot in Europe, but who are hungry and in their prime.

I hope this doesn't come to pass.

9. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - Only the transfer window of the inbound league matters
    - MLS transfer windows are open from 1/15-4/15 and 6/15-8/15

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562138529

And yes we should sticky this info somewhere. Too many assume European transfer windows hold everywhere else in the world.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    agreed.

i was not encouraged by this from the bbc link:

------------
    Mendieta joined Boro on an initial loan deal in 2003 before he finalised his move in July of the following year.

The former Spain international, however, has struggled with injury in the last year and has made just eight appearances for Boro this season.
    ------------