Meet the Team (8/11/02): What Should We Expect?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by covfc, Aug 4, 2002.

1. covfc

covfc Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Fairfax Station, VA
    I've never been to one of these before. Is it just a signing session? Does the whole team attend? How many fans do they expect?

Any insight into past events would be appeciated.

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    It is primarily a signing session. Lots of picture taking. Lots of talking.

The whole team attends, i.e. coaches, players, trainers, president, gm, etc.

A couple of hundred last year (outside RFK). A few hundred the year before that (that was at their training facility before they sold it, so that was a lot of fun). A lot of activities for the little ones.

This year is at a very different location, so I am not sure how the set-up is going to be (I have never been to the place).

A fun time.

3. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This'll be my first Meet The Team Day as well, but I would just add that Dave & Buster's is worth the trip into Maryland in and of itself. All the video games you could want, pool tables, a nice little restaurant, and a bar for those of you inclined in that direction. Wait, that's all of us. :)

I too have no idea how it will be set up, but I imagine that meeting the team will be involved. :)

Next weekend looks to be great; a MUST-WIN (pleeeeeeeeeease) game at home on Saturday, and the Charity Shield and Meet The Team Day on Sunday.

*looks at calendar impatiently*

4. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Is meet the team day only for season ticket holders? If so, do you think a fan that is not a season ticket holder be able to sneek in?

5. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I heard is that it's for Full/Half/Flex-Plan Season ticket holders and YFC members.

So, buy season tickets for 2003 and they might let you in. :)

6. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Do I have to bring my "Void" "C" ticket for entry?

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    No.

They actually mailed separate tickets last week, IIRC.

To those who do not have tickets, I have seen them on E-Bay!

8. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Flex planners can come to this event?

Cool!

9. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Last year the Freedom did their event at D&B. Not sure if United will do the same thing, but after signing autographs and then doing a couple of speeches by the players, all the players had bunches of Free Play cards and played games with fans.

10. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    They have a back room/ball room kind of thing for meetings or events. I assume that the players will set up shop for autographs there.

I guess they figure that attendance at these has been dwindling as the team stays bad on the field and that we'll all fit in Dave & Buster's.

I kind of look forward to a bunch of soccer hooligans invading that hoity toity mall in soccer gear. It should scare the blue-haired old ladies.

I went to an event with the Freedom there earlier this year and they came out after and played video games with each other and the fans.

11. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    You need tickets that were mailed out by the club. I do not believe Flex ticket holders are included.

If you have not received your tickets and are a half/full season ticket holder you need to call your ticket rep ASAP.

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone is looking for a ticket, I have an extra one.

13. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I played DDR with Ann Cook. Way cool.

14. covfc

covfc Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Fairfax Station, VA
    I have three extra tickets. My family doesn't want to go. The first person to PM me with their mailing address can have them.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I haven't ever been to one of these before, I can't wait! I've got my Sharpies and disposable cameras ready to go!

Gotta brush up on the Spanish so I can talk to Milton! :)

16. covfc

covfc Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Fairfax Station, VA
    My three tickets have been taken. Enjoy Thamlin!

17. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Thanks! I will! We should arrange a spot to meet at D & B so my friends and I can say thanks!

18. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Ugh yeah - Milton doesn't speak a lick of English. We saw him at the Capitol Soccer Ball and I went up and asked if he would mind taking a picture with me. He nodded and I said some nice things and he nodded his head. GoDC then talked to him for a while and his wife told GoDC that he didn't speak a word of English - but he just kept nodding very nicely :D

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    This story is were I got my post from. Hopefully everyone can at least say hi (hola) to him, and he'll be able to understand. Maybe his wife can translate. Remember to thank her for being American as well, and thus giving Milton his Green Card!

We need to hook Nellie and Chino up with some American broads!

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Will translate for Beer! :D

21. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Especially Nellie - he is great on the golf course and field!

22. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Anyone got any sisters or daughters willing to give up?