Medical Marijuana at the USSC

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by obie, Nov 29, 2004.

1. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Currently mafias are making "an assload of money" by providing and selling pot worldwide.

We don't want mafias to gain power out of something far from being as dangerous as alcohol, do we?

No sadly, there are still too many dumb people who don't get it. I started to think some of them (the powerful ones) have direct economic interests.

Meanwhile all our homes are filled with legalized drugs. The pills that prevent you from being anxious, nervous, the pills that make you sleep, the pills that make the pain vanish etc.

Most of them being addictive.

One would have only to see how much benzodiazepines are overused in our world.
    antianxiety agents, muscle relaxants, sedatives, hypnotics...

I am sure the major pharmeceutical companies are making "an assload of money" out of it.

Legalize pot and make it possible for (example) heroin addicted ppl to assume it in hospitals at low costs while at the same time using the money to help them (such as it is done for alcoholism) and you will manage to

Take away an incredible huge amount of money from criminal organizations thus highly reducing their power.

Take away from the streets a lot of annoying microcriminality.

Actually saving a lot of unfortunated ppl from overdose deaths and infections.

Yes, probably more ppl will give a try at pot from time to time, uh [sarcasm]I am really worried by this prospect...[/sarcasm]

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90% in favor of states. Wow.

edit: Scratch that "wow." I forgot we're liberal commies here.

3. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    BTW, the Supreme Court took the medical-marijuana case yesterday.

WHich can have consequences further than marijuana. They are deciding the scope of Federal powers - which effects everything the feds try to do under the Commerce Clause.

4. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    True to an extent. But it is also true that the crack epidemic wrecked havoc on cities in the 1980s. The problem seems to have died down a bit, and whether that's because of the harsh punishment or other social factors is up for debate. One of my Public Policy profs in school said that the crack epidemic basically made every policy analyst throw out all of their previous assumptions on urban policy.

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Don't get too euphoric with this contact high, if they actually assume the commerce clause to be restrictive there's alot of bogus liberal programs that would not stand up to scrutiny.

But it's probably not in the cards, they would bring down an avalanche of new cases for commerce clause interpretation if they allowed this one.

Can't they just tell the wacky appeals court here in SF to reconsider it until they get it right, without elevating the entirely phony issue to the supreme court level?

6. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I voted in favor of the federal power based on Commerce Clause, not based on the fact that Ashcroft abused the federal power by prosecuting people in this case.