Media Malpractice, Hoax Purveying, Misleading Narratives and Other Sins of the 4th Estate Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Karl K, Sep 10, 2021.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It was Gupta who reached out to Rogan to come on his podcast. With the intent to send out a vaccine message. You're making up making up shit at this point to fit your perceived bias. This statement is complete BS.

Calling Rogan a conspiracy antivaxxer borders on propaganda. The guy has literally said that vulnerable people at risk should take the vaccine.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree. But whose fault is that ? Gupta literally came on the podcast to convince him of vaccine for all including children. If he isn't an expert he should have at least prepared better because it's clear that he was on a mission. Rogan is already on record saying vulnerable people should take the vaccine AS AN OPINION (not that his opinion matters that much) and not a recommendation.

From what I recall, this is where Gupta messed up:

- Stated that him, as a 51 year old who had 2 rounds of the vaccine, didn't feel it was necessary to take a booster shot because he felt safe given his healthy condition. Rogan latched on to that by asking why then a young healthy person including kids couldn't feel the same way and not worry about getting COVID if they were very highly likely to be fine. You'd have to make the case here that an unvaccinated young person catching COVID was much more likely to spread it than the rate for an older person whose vaccinated including breakthrough cases.

- With information out that natural immunity gives you better protection than the vaccine, kept trying to tell Rogan that him and other non-vaxxed people who already had COVID needed to get the vaccine. He presented no information to back that up other than making a very general statement that natural immunity may not last long.

- As I wrote in another post, regarding that myocarditis study, he should have said that he would take a look at it. The way he handled that part made it look like he was just trying to push an agenda without considering possible new facts. He didn't have to agree nor disagree.

I think he was good in touching on the subject that we still have many unknowns with COVID including the fact that it doesn't at times only attack the lungs.

xtomx and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The guy "literally" had Alex Jones on his show saying the UN gave people polio

xtomx repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #304 The Jitty Slitter, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Last time I checked it's called the Brogan podcast not the Gupta podcast. It is Rogan and Spotify that have the responsibility not to spread disinfo and bad information.

They research and edit the show. The idea is not to win a debate against a guest where bad info can triumph against a cypher of the mainstream media (CNN). That is exactly how the likes of Fox create anti-vaxx propaganda

In other words, in direct opposition to the public health efforts in all countries.

How many times does this stupidity need to be debunked? It's bogus on an individual level but also defeats the entire purpose of a nationwide vaccination programme.

i.e Vaxx disinfo.

Why is Brogan once again talking about crap he knows nothing about?

Brogan is killing people with his bad info.

xtomx repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's morning big sofa television for bros

I get that he has a core thing he is good at and he built an audience that way. Good luck to him. It's like I don't care when Souness and Roy Keane fight about why Man Utd are shit. It's harmless entertainment.

But this is something that is killing people and undermining public health efforts that lives depend on.

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Right.

I've created 100s of hours of documentary TV. The idea is you let the expert voices tell the story.

But of course there is inevitably a framing and agenda from my (my clients) side. When I am using the voices to prove/disprove something, or set up conflict - that is part of how television (or radio) is constructed, and a directorial decision that takes place outside the interview.

In this case there is only one correct answer. Get vaxxed.

By creating fake conflict whereby people should not get vaxxed Rogan is intentionally misleading his audience via the way the show was contructed.

This isn't a boxing match where Gupta might have "won" if only he'd been better at it. Rather he is being confronted with bad arguments and being asked to disprove them, in opposition to the guy who controls the format.

As you then point out, 2 people have come to the thread to talk about how Gupta "lost" or was "owned"

That is a triumph of propaganda and reveals how the audience were supposed to understand the show - i.e. Rogan winning because he just can't help himself after being previously ripped for his own stupidity

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Spread of factually wrong information ... doesn't this literally with all sorts of news media 24 / 7 ? And this is not even a news podcast.

Not sure what you mean here.

The point was the term you're using which is anti-vaxxer when his position is more nuanced than that term is associated with.

The comment here was on Gupta's misstep of saying he felt safe himself without taking a booster just because he was healthy even if he is over 50. He basically expressed that his feeling of feeling safe was enough to make a vaccine decision. It was a perfectly legit statement to scrutinize because it also shows how many people think ... even non-vaxxers.

Complain to studies and articles like this then ...

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1

https://www.science.org/content/art...er-immunity-vaccine-vaccination-remains-vital

Why is the NYT saying the same thing with all the editorial oversight they have ?

Boys between 16 and 19 years of age had the highest incidence of myocarditis after the second dose, according to a second study in the journal. The risk of heart problems in boys of that age was about nine times higher than in unvaccinated boys of the same age.

The absolute risk is still very small, and the condition temporary. And studies have shown that Covid-19 is much more likely to cause heart problems compared with vaccination.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/09/...itis-in-young-men-after-full-vaccination.html

Anyways … what I wrote was more a criticism at how poorly Gupta did . There is a legit opportunity here to get an expert in the subject to go on his podcast and make a supposed impact (although I have doubts about how much Rohan actually influences peoples opinions in this subject ). While Rogan may have barely researched headlines , they won’t be in a place like Fox News shows where the premises of the show is dishonest . And there won’t be shouting matches . Equating Rogan to Alex Jones is really absurd IMO … who is a legit dishonest wack job .

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It seems necessary to point out that there is no "nuanced anti-vaxx position".

Everyone needs to get vaxxed or the programme will fail.

Old people did their bit and got vaxxed in vast numbers. The problem is younger "healthy" people who feel like they don't need to. Brogan continues to promote these completely wrongheaded ideas, and hype up supposed risks, plus reliance on useless drugs after you get sick.

And to repeat - Rogan had Alex Jones on his show where Jones promoted vaxx conspiracy

Why does he make those editorial choices?

It's all a big mystery

xtomx repped this.
  9. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    OK, Denizens, here is YOUR speaker of the House, complaining about...um....another kind of media malpractice, at least from HER point of view:

The media AREN'T DOING ENOUGH SELLING of their spending package!!

"Well I think you all could do a better job of selling it, to be very frank with you," says Grandma Nancy.

Frank, indeed.

Yes, everybody, THIS is how one of the heads of the Democratic Party thinks the media should act. As a PR firm.

This how leftoids in political power view the mainstream media. For Grandma Nancy, for Peppermint Patty, effectively the entire left wing establishment, these media lackeys are not only supporters, but propagandists.

Flashback. Adoring media on Hilary Clinton's campaign plane. They are beaming!!!

[​IMG]

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  11. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    According to whom? You?

Please cite peer reviewed studies with strong verifiable epidemiological data that says EVERYONE -- that assumes EVERY PERSON on the planet -- needs to be vaccinated or "the programme will fail." These papers should define what "failure" means in both detailed quantitative and qualitative terms.

Please cite peer reviewed studies that say vaccines MUST be given to individuals who have contracted Covid or the programme will "fail," including detailed serological data for a sufficiently powered double blind RCT study cohort and placebo group with appropriate randomization.

Thank you.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well now freckles

What about that vote for Mango?

It will help you to talk about it

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    So you guys not only are really into excrement, but have a fascination for serial killers too?

It must have been a very bad childhood, I am so sorry.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    When are we getting on to the other sins of the 4th Estate.

Like sodomy

15. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    So creative!! You have steal my nickname.

Thanks for you concern Dr. Fauci. Hurry up, or the programme will fail!!!

16. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    When you guys get off of tangential issues and back to the subject at hand. The memory hole moderators are watching!!

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sins of the 4th Estate is the thread title

If you meant gluttony then Hannity is looking quite porky these days

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched this so you don't have to. You'll be unsurprised to learn it doesn't say what Karl says it says.

luftmensch repped this.
  19. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    You're watching Hannity? Well, I'll be....

Not as bulbous though as Brian "The Eunuch" Stelter, who could double as the Pillsbury Dough Boy., though Dough Boy has more intelligence. Stelter's also a dead ringer for George Constanza, and no doubt equally neurotic and warped.

You guys, -- excretory functions, serial killers, the corpulence of TV personalities.

You do have your obsessions, don't you?

20. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    She didn't say to the CBS reporter that they should do a better job of selling it? Who DID she say it to then? The ghost of Christmas past?

21. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    As if on cue, the Washington Post tells all us peons -- and you too leftoid "Denizens" of the P&CE forum and all you other peasants out there -- to just suck it up for the good of the Party, the Movement, or whatever the heck you yahoos are calling yourselves:

The 4th estate comes to defense of their political masters!

Lower those expectations you silly geese you!! Trump is gone!! Yeaaaaahhh!!! Even though we can never forget his nappies!! Because we love us some excretory remembrances.

Hey, who was it who said, "I won't shut down the country, I will shut down the virus'??

Joe Biden's America!!! Hallelujah!!!

22. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
  23. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Our Associated Press at work, with headlines soft pedaling the thugs, who are "defiant" and "fiery" even though the people they rule are desperate for freedom and prosperity, while another headline points out the flaws of an American of accomplishment--and an African American to boot.

Tells you ALL you need to know.

[​IMG]

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird how my grocery store has food

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think you've conveniently ignored the links I've provided from NYT and studies talking about vaccine reaction in teenage boys and natural immunity vs vaccine immunity.

Why does that pass editorial review ?

Regarding natural immunity vs vaxx immunity, it's not vaxx misinfo. The verdict is still out on that and that has been acknowledged by Fauci.

As for vaccination for kids, Swedem, Denmark and Finland have all paused Moderna vaccine for young boys due to that rare cardiovascular side effect. They've seen an increase in number of cases specifically with boys having taken the 2nd dose of Moderna. They are doing this out of precaution and rightly so. Or I guess they all listen to Rogan ...

https://apnews.com/article/coronavi...ealth-health-453163d8f93618fde90c06d3474921a0

Karl K and Dr. Wankler repped this.