Media issues.

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Own Goal Hat-Trick, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    I was just thinking, and, when I say this, keep in mind that I don't religiously watch the news, but, has the issue of racism been brought up much during this election cycle? It seems to me, from various articles where voters are quoted as saying they believe Obama has islamic extremist ties, etc, or those who have more or less stated they wont vote for a black man, that this issue is one that should be discussed more in depth.

It seems to me that all these pundits just talk about superficial issues, and make meals out of snacks, while ignoring several problems that plague the American voting population (i.e, lack of understanding of real issues, voting against their own interest, racism, ignorance, etc).

(Sorry, is that an elitist thing to say?)

2. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only fun to talk about racism when you can use it to discredit your opponent.

4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I've come to the belief that calling Obama an "elitist" is basically a euphemism for being "uppity." It's a case of "Who is this guy to think he's better than you? Who is hell does he think he is? Keep him in his goddamn place"

His opponents could accuse him of simply being an "intellectual" -- not a good thing to be accused of when running for president of the United States -- but that would be admitting he has a brain in his head. And saying he's just an "egghead" would sound corny nowadays. And those things wouldn't send out the dual message some of the less-enlightened out there would pick up on.

"Elitist" fills the bill nicely as an acceptable reason to be against Obama when what one really feels is resentment or fear or outrage or worse at the idea of Barack Obama becoming president.

5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting. I gotta say, when I kept hearing "elitist" in reference to Obama, it sounded, I don't know... incongruous, to my ears. Never heard a black man in politics referred to as such.

You might be on to something.

6. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Well, I hear that his supporters are elitist, too, but when you talk to a McCain supporter, for example, who believes that Obama has terrorist ties, and you ask them if they are retarded, I guess I can see where it comes from...

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    [youtube]84er11W9rU4&feature=related[/youtube]

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Well, first, the funny part is obviously that no raised their hand for McCain. But the funnier part is that when he asked who was voting for McCain, one guy started to raise his hand, and the woman next to him (presumably his wife) knocked his hand down. :D

10. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, if I'm an Obama supporter, I don't WANT the media going off about racism. That'll be perceived as accusing anyone who doesn't vote for Obama of being a racist, and IMO it'll backfire among people sitting on the fence.

11. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like empty cries of sexism?

12. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Oh, you mean like "if you aren't with us, you're a terrorist"?

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I would say that the codes have been decidedly nonracial.

McCain the shots drinker and Palin the moose hunter vs. Obama the argula eater, is the same schtick as Dukasis the tank pu$$y and Kerry the rich boy and Al the stiff who can't dance. It's all about who you would like to share a beer with.

Worth noting that Clinton who successfully avoided that type of culture baiting (by gobbling down Big Macs), has paid his respects to Palin, saying that she's a force down South because voters recognize her as one of their own.

14. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Actually, if you check the side of the camera, there was one hand up for McCain: the reporters. You can't really be surprised at FOX trying to sway the room by having the guy 'in charge' pull a stunt like that... but it makes it funnier that nobody else followed him. :)

15. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all the same thing. That rhetoric was aimed at foreign governments, not American voters.

16. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Just change it to "support terrorism" and that's exactly how it was used to target voters.