Media Coverage - 2010

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by Cville K C, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, just wanted to remind everybody that when the team does get coverage locally, we want to try to encourage them to continue by letting them know we appreciate it. Several of the local stations, both television and radio, have had Athletica players on the last few days. We also continue to get nice coverage from the local newspapers St. Louis Post-Dispatch, St. Louis Globe Democrat (website only), Alton Telegraph, and Belleville-News Democrat. If there are any others, please feel free to add to the list. I know there was quite a bit of complaining about the lack of coverage by SPD for AC St. Louis last weekend, except for a few people (JStats:D) who were fair enough to realize that there was a lot going on and that the economy has forced newspapers to cut back, too. Personally, I think we're pretty lucky with the coverage we get in St. Louis and I also think Timmermann is one of the better soccer writers in the country, but he has to cover several things other than soccer. And let's face it, with the NCAA basketball tournament, baseball opening day, the NFL draft coming up, etc., the newspapers staffs are spread quite thin, so let's try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Secondly and speaking of Tom, his latest blog states that there will be radio coverage, but so far, only for home games. AC St. Louis, as of now, does not have radio coverage, but apparently NASL will do streaming video (not so WPS). So in the case of Athletica, it looks like you travel with the team if you want to watch, unless it is on FSC or the opposing team has something. Personally, I enjoyed Tony and Joe's play-by-play of last year's road games and was hoping I could again this year.

Let's hope this changes soon!

Also, from the same article, there apparently is no satellite parking this year to speak of. Therefore, you might want to get to the stadium early.

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzo...etting-back-checked-early-warning-on-parking/

2. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the props. So does this mean I'm the most sane of the other posters on the StLPD??? And is that an honor for me or a dig at them???? ;)

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the particular forum I think we're both referring to, you were by far the most reasonable. People are starting to go a little overboard there. Sure I want to see more coverage in the PD. But people are just crucifying Tom for a lot of stuff that is beyond his control.

4. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They broadcast road games last year so I wonder why they're not this year? Of couse it must have something to do with money but if it was doable last year and they've increased their season ticket base this year then I don't see why they couldn't do it this year.

I know Tony enjoyed callling the games and he was very passionate with his play calling which is good to hear.

5. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply put one announce team (Tony and Joe) and two teams. Darn those anti-cloning laws ;)

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But AC doesn't have any radio so it's not like Tony & Joe will be doing anything else. :D

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the problem is that Athletica and advertising are paying for those broadcasts, not 1380. If they got enough ad money, they would probably do it. But figure out how much each broadcast costs. You're sending two people, airfare, hotel, and meals, plus they might actually have to buy the air time on 1380 (although I'm not sure what the arrangement is there).

On the media front, Tom Timmermann has a very nice story on Shannon Boxx today.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...B99757725D6A0D4486257700000A60FC?OpenDocument

8. BigTexSoccer

BigTexSoccer New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
  9. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're confidence is reassuring, jstats. Hopefully, everybody gets healthy and legal (from an international soccer point of view). I really don't want to spend the season having to follow press reports to see if we ever get a full team together.

11. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were the 2nd best team in the league last year....the best team left....we were able to upgrade....thus we should be the best team in the league. Yes yes yes Old Cougar United has Marta and all but remember they were last place a year ago. They won't be making a huge jump to #1 in the league until they fire Montoya, pure and simple.

12. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Under the game notes for tomorrow, it has Edlund out with an injury. Anybody know what it is, I had no idea she was.

13. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the WPS roster report, Edlund and Elaine aren't eligible because of "delay in international clearance", which could mean a lot of things. Beings she's been in the country for a month, I'm guessing some paperwork was late or she hasn't been cleared by her country's federation. But since it's both Elaine and Edlund....

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/roster-report.aspx

If she got hurt, it was earlier in the week. She played about 60 minutes last Saturday and was fine.

14. marctol

marctol Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    A Brazilian sports channel ran this story about Daniela's recovery. I don't feel like translating the whole thing, but I'll mention the main points: Daniela only remembers that she was on the midfield, controlled the ball and suddenly felt a thud and fell to the ground screaming in pain. She avoids watching the replay of her injury. The doctor who operated her says it was necessary to rebuild the ligament of her knee. She admits that she thought about retiring and that players like Ronaldo, who suffered knee injuries, were an inspiration. Then she talks about the support her parents gave during her entire career. In the end, she tells that she dreamed of scoring a goal in her return to the field.

15. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, it is good to hear some news about her. She's an excellent player and seemed very likeable both to fans and her teammates as well. I think they were hoping she could make it back last year without having an operation, but obviously the injury was worse than first thought. Hopefully, she will recover fully and we will see her on the field again later this season.

16. marctol

marctol Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    You're welcome. Did you watch the video? She got quite a scar on her knee, it certainly wasn't a simple surgery.

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes (I need to learn to speak Portuguese). It makes me wonder why they thought at first she wouldn't need surgery. She was supposed to be arriving in the states this week I believe.

18. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope Solo was just on KTRS this morning saying she wants an extra raucous crowd this weekend against Boston since she HATES Boston and their fans are the worst. She said they kill her with insults every time she goes and she wants them to get a taste of their own medicine!! HA HA!

19. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States