Measuring Success - The Arsenal (Emery) Barometer

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Raul wasn't CEO then, Gazidis was. And he should've been gone the year before. They'd be crazy to not sack Emery at this point but it really wouldn't surprise me

DaPrince84 repped this.
  2. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Let's hope differently in the international break. No top 4 hurts income. If they don't care about our performance they'll sack him from our profits and value decreasing.

3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gap may be too much to get top 4 at this point but a good manager could still get us playing well enough to win EL and get a CL bid.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If that's the rationale, it seems even more likely that Raul and Edu could convince themselves that the most successful EL manager ever is the guy for the job

5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except when he had the opportunity last season and completely shit the bed

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know CL is the BIG bucks. But what's the financial loss of finishing outside of European spots, i.e. not qualifying for EL?

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta get a handle on this now. Cut Emery loose this weekend and bring in someone (Allegri, Enrique, etc... ) That can command attention/respect and start getting a new system installed during the break. First match out is Southampton. That would be a good warmup match for a new manager/scheme.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do t know why we haven’t played this system but with Pepe and auba up top

emery is pitiful, there is no improvement since we fell off last year

he HAS to go.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  9. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not disputing this, I'm arguing that Raul and Edu are dumb enough to not sack him

10. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    While I am as fervently Emery out as anyone, I'd bet on Emery still being here after the international break. The season is basically over, and we need to start planning for life after Auba/Laca.

Walia Ibex and Super Llama repped this.
  11. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because in this system our midfield gets overrun and we have no pressure on the ball? Our only move is to sit deep and counter-attack. This is the result we got from that. They cut through our midfield whenever they felt like it.

Gotta say I don't understand the fixation with back 3.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you sit deep and defend properly it works better

but our midfield doesn’t exist in any formation

13. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    When have we ever been 9 points out of 4th by November? Prehaps in Wenger last year? I doubt that... this team has talent the fact that we are this bad is a reflection on the manager.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Edu just overhauled the academy coaching staff, letting a number of coaches go, so he's not afraid to shake things up. If Emery has someone in his corner i think its more likely to be Raul than Edu.

Super Llama repped this.
  15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I get it and wouldn't be surprised if that's the rationale, however for me context matters and given that the current state of affairs is coming after further years of suffering I don't think the club can afford to take this stance for fear of compounding misery. Arsenal have now failed several efforts to stop the bleeding, and it's arguably gotten worse not only in the results on the pitch but in failing to take advantage of a time when other teams are down. After all the talk coming into this season was a realistic shot at Top 4, not capitulating and heading into another rebuilding year.

If the club fails to do anything to change up this level of performance their telling the fans all the chatter about being a mid-level team are true. It's one thing to not be Madrid and overreact to every detail but it's another thing to be quiet amidst such dismal form. No team aspiring for even Europa League trophies and top 4 should be accepting this.

Yet Arsenal might.

Super Llama repped this.
  16. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah hopefully Edu is gaining authority in the ranks because I have no faith in Raul.

Yeah I completely agree, I just feel that based on the decision-making processes that 1. Hired Emery in the first place and 2. Have allowed him to stay for this long, I think there's still a chance that he doesn't get sacked.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  17. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Emery's post game "Good Ebe-Ning" rabble was basically that of a dead man walking, saying we're still ahead of Man United and Sp*rs. :( :(

18. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Being ahead of the shitshow that is currently Yanited and Spurs isn't exactly something to brag about.

We are behind Sheffield U and Leicester. We have no coherent style of play. We brought in more defensive players since Wenger left yet we are worse?

I was all for giving Emery time to instill a football plan, but he doesn't seem to have one.
    If we are to lose, we should at least be able to see what we are trying to accomplish as a team. As in, you should be able to make sense of the game plan and maybe we just haven't got the players or the time into the players to implement it.

Instead, it seems like each week Emery goes out to try and not lose. As if saying "well Leicester beat Southampton by 9 but only beat us by 2, isn't that an improvement" when really we should be drawing matches like this at the minimum scoring a goal or having 5-10 shots on goal.

Back to Banter Era FC. All I see on reddit are "bad ebening" memes.

thebigman repped this.
  19. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    He is certainly embattled on the hot seat or prehaps on the way out. If there is no new manager before we play Southampton in 2 weeks my guess is he stays the season and goes all in on the EL. I think with his strong EL squad's He is already investing all his energy into that. I still don't know why Auba and Laca were out wide and why Kola was playing wingback. Were down a goal and he doesn't adjust and once were down 2 he calls in attacking options when it's too late.

20. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t solely blame Emery for Arsenal’s regression. I blame the board and Ivan Gazidis for mishandling their decisions to get us here. We’ve been mediocre for awhile now.

Emery is not the right man

Super Llama repped this.
  21. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I had to miss the game so i recorded it but then my DVR was on the fritz so it failed to record! Good thing I suppose because watching the extended NBC highlights on YouTube was so frustrating. Laca blowing two goals really changed the tenor of the game. I thought we played well in moments and decent in the first half but the 2nd half was straight embarrassing. Literally on the first goal four Arsenal players are standing around doing nothing not pressing or defending and they let a LC player thread a pass into the box to Tielmans where 3 Arsenal players do nothing and let him nift a pass to Vardy to score. Like seriously! The top comment on the video was that regular teams play defense and we play a game of Marco Polo while in defense which is so accurate yet depressing. Btw Guendouzi has been awful the last 4 matches.

22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Great news everyone