MD3: Juventus vs Roma (August 27th, 2022)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Good result all things considered. But we’re not going to keep scoring from set pieces every game.

2. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am proud of this team. Like I expected Matic will be big in big games. He played all alone in that midfield. Cristante was poor.

3. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Zalewski and El Shaarawy were also good.

4. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Can't wait to see Matic and Gini in midfield in those big games. Should be night and day.

Oban14 and Indian_Gladiator repped this.
  5. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We looked much better off with 4 in the back, I'm not a fan of that switching back to 3 after we equalized, we gave away a perfect opportunity to steal more than a point from this.

The ref stopping that counter was the most Juve thing ever, not even surprising at this point, we got away without a made up penalty against us I guess.

I think that Mourinho made a mistake on this one, he should've let us play for more.

wm72 and DOctore13 repped this.
  6. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Bar his free kick, Vlahovic was in Smalling’s back pocket all game. What a performance. Disappointed with a draw to be honest, really thought we would win tonight considering how many key players they were missing.

7. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It must be said that Juve have another gear when they play at home. But not a bad result considering how the game started.

wm72, Midfield General and Nainggolan repped this.
  8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Think they could have won had they started with the 4-2-3-1. They gifted Juve a very easy 45 mins. Agreed, they had them looking all out of ideas until they went back to a 3 man defence and allowed them back on the ball. Jose made a poor read to start, then he corrected it, then he went back to his mistake.

9. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Zalewski is a cool customer. Celik did well. Matic was good. Possibly Roger's best game in a Roma shirt. Smaldini excellent. SES will always offer something. Dybala tried hard, did well for the goal. Tammy trumps. Rui solid.

Spinny wtf was that? Milhouse fcuk off. Pellegrini wasnt on it today but gets a pass. Ditto Karsdorp.

Midfield General repped this.
  10. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Best possible result given the performance. The early subs were on point from Jose, but the Kumbulla sub gave all the control back to Juve and we were lucky not to concede late.

Smalling was the best player on the pitch.

wm72, Wolfbeatseagle, shiboboo and 2 others repped this.
  11. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021

“At the end of the first half I told them I was ashamed to be their coach.”

12. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    good time wasting at the end guys.

point at juve is good!!

13. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish there was a way to start both Zalewski and Spinnazola on that left side. Spinnazola doesn’t seem to play nearly as well when he doesn’t have a winger to underlap with. And Zalewski really should be starting.

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    There is a way to start them for certain games such as this. Zalewski can play just as well in left attack.

15. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I think this might be the first time we played Juve in years where they needed to win more than us. Usually against us Juve would let us have the ball so we could trick ourselves into thinking we’re controlling the game, then we get punished on the counter.

Today was almost opposite, same we couldn’t snatch the 3 points at the end. I can kinda understand Mou not risking it though, a point here is great in the long run.

Wolfbeatseagle repped this.
  16. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021

Jose Mourinho

17. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    Mourinho's post game comments were perfect. It’s not looking good for Rick based on what he said post game.

18. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I meant it more in terms of balance. Ideally you’d start both of them, just not really possible most of the time when Abraham, Dybala, Pellegrini, and Zaniolo are on the field at the same time. May be with a better midfield and back line.

19. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021

shiboboo repped this.
  20. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #95 La Magica, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    Go back to my first post on the page and read the lineup I suggested. Its entirely feasible for certain games. Roma can and will have to drop one of Dybala, Zaniolo or even Pellegrini if they go with Dybala in a central role. Doing so will secure balance and a better result. The team has options now and doesnt need to be rigid with the line up. This team can fight for top 4 and I will be disappointed if they dont get it. Barring a lot off injuries, the players are here now.

At home, you want the team to have the attacking players on like last week. They need to work on that because again Pellegrini needs time.to adapt and up his work rate. He is a risk here for the other cm and as we seen, if that cm is Cristante, he will turn over the ball under even the slightest pressure. They are a risky duo for counters and turn overs. Matic needs to start when he can. Cristante will be useful in these bigger matches from a work rate pov. I dont want to see him starting every game at home the team is expected to make.

That formation is perfect for weaker opposition at home but in big games home or away 4 2 3 1 with any combo of spina, zalewski, spina or SES is going to cause big issues for opponents.

I am really happy to see SES do what hes doing. He was never my favourite player a few years ago but perhaps its just nostalgic to see a member of the last good Roma side still here.

There is so much potential with options now. Jose can say he was ashamed of the players at the half but when you get the shape so badly wrong no amount of running is going to catch up when you're starting 5 yards behind play with a midfield full of holes. First time I have to say, he is deflecting from his bad call.

21. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021

Mou not holding back.

22. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    “I was very disappointed at the beginning of the game, but then the reply was very positive and I like it. It shows maturity, which we didn’t have in the first half.”

“When you lose the ball after two passes and concede a free-kick after 22 seconds there is no tactic. There are technical and emotive qualities. The approach was really poor. Yesterday I said that every game is an isolated event, which has nothing to do with the previous or the next match. A total lie. Emotionally, there is always a connection.

“The best on the pitch was the referee, he was excellent for 90 minutes. Then Juventus did well for 55 minutes and we did well for 35, we almost won it.

“Dybala always makes the difference. At the beginning of the second half, he was not able to make two passes, but then he improved. I know how things work. I saw Abraham’s interview. Apparently, he played a great game, but it was horrible. Dybala played well. It was difficult for everyone and when we reached the final third in the second half, we could feel the fear of Juventus fans. It’s part of the game, I am really happy with Paulo.”

Dybala returned to the Allianz Stadium for the first time as a Juventus opponent. No player has scored more goals than him here and the last time he had played in Turin he broke into tears while saying goodbye to Juventus supporters. La Joya has assisted Abraham for his first season goal.

“The first question should be, why do we play on Saturday and then on Tuesday? Why Monza played yesterday and we’ll face them on Tuesday,” continued Mourinho.

“We are missing Zaniolo and I think a new striker [Andrea Belotti] will arrive tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. We are missing a midfielder to replace Wijnaldum. We replaced the wing-backs today, it wouldn’t have been possible last season.”

23. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021

24. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Mourinho is maybe pissed at Abraham for minutes 66-67 (6:18 in youtube video) where he had that weak shot. When he could have passed to Dybala or have a stronger shot.

25. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    1563640781377835009 is not a valid tweet id

Oban14 and Henchag repped this.