MD23: Roma vs Bologna (February 7, 2020)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Midfield General, Feb 7, 2020.

1. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Not going to say Kolorav is the best defender, but fact is we score more goals when he plays. He is someone the opponent has to pay attention to when defending which opens up plays for other guys.

2. TheFerryBoat

TheFerryBoat Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    So how's life with out Florenzi going, you know, the guy who's responsible for all the goals Roma concede. Lol at Santon at right back

Indian_Gladiator repped this.
  3. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No it doesn't.

It only happens when a club makes too many mistakes in managing its resources.

Are you suggesting Sassuolo, Torino, Parma and Bologna who have all beaten us this season have squads equal to the quality of ours?

Again, I agree that notwithstanding some rocky results and performances, management should persevere with a coach who they think is likely to be successful, but there is no point persevering if the coach is unlikely to be successful.

The evidence is beginning to suggest Fonseca falls into the latter category. I hope you are right, but in order to salvage his career with us he needs to improve things quickly, otherwise it will be right to replace him.

4. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pallotta has had much more misfortune than Rosella.

Roma is worth much more now than it was when she left.

Italy, as you know more than most, is a difficult country to invest in, and that's not restricted to football.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #105 falvo, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Yes. Investing in a club or anything else in Italy as a general rule , is very difficult. Everyone wants their cut. We all saw how Cragnotti or even Zamparini for a short period made a lot of noise then went out with a whimper. Tanzi won quite a lot and ended up in jail by using his team to showcase his corrupt Parmalat organization.

Anything south of Rome and even Florence , when you compare business practices to the American way of doing things , is almost like a nightmare. Comisso is now 70 and he probably wanted to make a final splash by buying Fiorentina. I wish him well but I can’t imagine him doing all that much with the club. Knowing Florence as I do, it’s very difficult to get anything done. Rome on a much larger scale , by comparison is even crazier.

6. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Santon and Cristante should never play again for Roma.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Is that why Milhouse got a new contract?

Iirc, Fonseca wasn't Petrachi's first choice. I dont think Fonseca was ever considered 'right'. He had to prove himself. I for one was pretty content with our progress going into the winter break and felt this team was heading in the right direction, but things can change quickly in football. Calling a spade a spade here, 2020 has been horrendous so far. The numbers are stark. 8 games played and only 2 wins. Wins against Genoa (relegation zone) and a 2nd string Parma side in the Coppa. Defeats to Torino (look what happened to them since), Bologna and Sassuolo outplayed us and deservedly beat us. We limped out of the Coppa. 16 goals conceded at an average of 2 per game.

He has to turn this around and quickly otherwise I see little point in continuing down this road. Better to accept the season as a write off sooner rather than later so as to prepare for the following season asap.

9. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #109 Matrim, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Fonseca, Santon and Cristante have my full support. They need more time.

Building for the Future™

Florenzi was clearly the reason why we were losing all those points every match. Every Fonseca apologist in this forum was right and I was wrong... as usual. I feel so dumb right now, sharing this place of football knowedge and culture with enlightened individuals who know football's ins and outs better than their hero podcast pundits and not being properly awed until now.

Thank you for having me here, I appreciate you!

10. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I had hoped that Fonseca will move Mancini back to midfield after the last few games. It seemed to me like the natural thing to do, especially as he had already done that before, to reasonable success.

Why does Fonseca even treat Cristante as a central midfielder? Is it because EDF used to play him there? It must be, because the player himself has shown nothing suggesting he can play that role. I'm not sure what he sees in him. Of course the central defenders will look bad when they are so exposed, both from the fullbacks and from the midfielders.

I'm also hoping that Pastore's body will allow him to put in another solid run of games. He seems to be one of the few players who gets what Fonseca wants from the forwards. That's no surprise, given that Pastore is a very intelligent player.

I think it'd be a terrible decision to pull the plug on Fonseca already, but some things are clearly not working and need to stop happening.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  12. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Mancini has had a couple of shockingly bad games which I'm very sorry to see. Exposed or not, some of his defending lately has been serious amateur hour stuff. When Diawara got injured I said we should move Mancini into midfield again, return Fazio to the starting XI and leave Milhouse where he belongs on the bench. Fonseca's reasoning for not moving Mancini back in to midfield was that it would force him to make one or two changes elsewhere also. Eh yeah, so what? At least now with Milhouse suspended, his hand will be forced. Our defense is rapidly losing confidence. Mancini as mentioned, terrible. Smalling and Pau are now making daft errors. As soon as Florenzi leaves and Santon becomes first choice RB, he starts to look hopeless out there and has been run ragged last couple of games. LB is an issue as Fonseca tries to keep both Spinny and Kolarov happy. Defensively, Spinny is our best bet for RB, but he seems to have an issue with playing there.

Our midfield is pathetically bad.

Under's consistency is terrible. Looks like Messi one week and Iturbe for the next two weeks. Dzeko has been so poor lately that it's questionable whether he should actually start ahead of Kalinic or not at this point, and that's saying something. In fact, forget about Dzeko and Kalinic, it could be that our best bet is to try something completely different up top at this stage. If Fonseca has any balls I think he should drop him at this point quite frankly. Otherwise he's just bending over for the 'senior' players just like those before him.

Pau

Bruno/Spinny
    Smalling (back to RCB, more comfortable there anyway)
    Fazio
    Kolarov/Spinny

Mancini (until Diawara returns, sooner rather than later we can only hope)
    Veretout

Perez (deserves a go, Under simply not consistently good enough)
    Perotti
    Mkhi/Pastore
    Kluivert/Kalinic

13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Preparing to rebuild for next year with someone else is just more of the same though. Ive seen enough of that.
    I will give Cristante some leeway. Not talking about his ability to play in a 2 man midfield, that's a beaten horse. He is a player of the right attitude. He is a trier who never gives up and one who could still come through if allowed to play his position. He didnt get a spot and score goals for Gasperini by having no ability.

Whether or not Fonseca was Petrachi's first choice, does that deflect the point? I dont see it. He was selected 6 months ago because they believed in him. Yes football can change quickly and can swing either way. I am proposing something perhaps radical. Stick by him no matter what and thus lift the pressure of Roma. Roma builds this pressure and it creates a self fulfilling prophecy by sacking when something is not right. Looking at the history, Roma have won next to nothing. Its time we got over ourselves.

If the worse case scenario means no Europe and rebuilding with finding good cheap players that is possible and its what Petrachi can do. The good players are out there and you can build a good team on a tight budget. Petrachi got them at Torino, Walter could do it and look at what Atalanta did. No the world isnt going to end but by sticking with a manager we might just break the cloud of pressure that surrounds us.

shiboboo repped this.
  14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    So Santon is getting the blame on the 3rd goal yesterday for being out of position? Kolarvo was also chasing back many times caught out of position. There is a time to blame a fullback but if you actually watched the game you should have seen what happened yesterday. If we as a team lose the ball cheaply when in simple possession high up the pitch in a system that gets our wingbacks to stay high up the pitch not even Cafu can get back in time. You need a working system and if a midfield doesnt work and 1/4 of your attackers turn up then what? I wouldnt even kill Florenzi on that. Florenzi gets on my nerves for his poor defensive ability. You know the reason being, he was never a defender to begin with.

Santon becomes the easy scapegoat for people that either dont watch the game or dont understand enough about it and can only react to the limited angle of a bigger picture they cant see on tv.

There is no question Peres should start for his attacking ability. He has made 2 assists in his 2 appearances. If his attitude can say right he is a good option. Santon has his uses tactically like we seen in the derby when he was fantastic as a part right back / part centre back in a 3.5 backline.

15. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If this were true why do rich clubs spend so much on transfer fees and wages? There is a reason why clubs who spend relatively little do not consistently achieve anything.

16. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The lower tier clubs on the food chain do what they can within their budget to bring in a handful of good prospects and solid pros. Some go onto perform and get the move which that club need to recover finances. They generally sell and never build upon because they have to worry about survival. The big clubs prefer to buy these already established players because there is somewhat less risk since they have proved themselves in Europe.

Roma is a club that dont fall into a top tier club financially but they also do not fall into a lower tier club. But by taking the model of the lower tier club and with the extra fiances they have they can build a very good squad on a lower budget while keeping the players. Hence, growing a side with consistency, having a lower budget which in turn allows us club to stop freaking out and give a manager time. That is one way to fix the ongoing Roma issue.

Good players are out there for peanuts if you ahve the balls to take the risk on them quickly enough. Take Walters Palermo as an example of what a side can do when its low budget (less pressure) and just focused on playing good football. That side came together over a continuous 3-5 year building process. Roma need a good clear out of the big waged non performing players and to drop the expectations of who we are.

wm72 repped this.
  17. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo

25DA0933-493C-4CDB-83C1-9643933FF2AF.png

LOL

Get cucked @whill4 @Matrim

18. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    B0E77FD7-D9DA-4689-B836-7B4888ACF427.jpeg

Like I said, I’m never wrong.

eh but Sal, eh but Sal.

@Java65

La Magica repped this.
  19. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
  20. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    shiboboo and La Magica repped this.
  21. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    No point answering to Lazio fans. Go to the proper sub-forum.

22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    shiboboo repped this.
  23. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    GET CUCKED

24. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo

upload_2020-2-8_12-22-45.png

Nabolidaboli, shiboboo and Andreas repped this.
  25. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should also post the goal from yesterday of Santon jogging back

And just for the record, I wasn’t against Florenzi leaving. My problem has always been that after Kolarov, our only full backs now are a guy in a wheel chair and two garbage cans.

nguoiaoden repped this.