MD21: Roma vs Lazio (January 26th, 2020)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by SaI', Jan 25, 2020.

1. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Kolarov shooting and his same cross into the box, counting his goals and assists still doesn't allow us enough flexibility. We could have never have played like this today with him. Yes the team needs to improve with scoring. That would be helped along with players staying fit. However, the answer to us scoring goals should never be to looking for a veteran fullback. It's a year past when he should have been the backup. Look past the goals and look at the team overall.

Midfield General, shiboboo and SaI' repped this.
  3. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    It shouldn't be, but fact is he is one of our biggest scoring threats and one other teams don't want to see with chances on goal.

4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That will only change with him being dropped and the team growing like we seen today. If you watched that performance and think we would have been better with kolarov you're not getting it. Lazzari would have tormented us and we would have been pinned back. Instead we controlled the match from first kick to last.

Relying on guys like kolarov will see us nowhere.

5. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    Yep, Kolarov is so limited going forward. He can't get by defenders with pace, dribble by defenders, or get the ball out of tight spaces. Just whips it in as hard as he can and it either gets blocked or is impossible for Dzeko to score.

Andreas and La Magica repped this.
  6. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He lost all that about 4 -5 years ago. Good player and a leader but the performances Spina can offer us and has done in the past few games should make this an easy call. People get blinded by his numbers when the reality is he is a 2 steps forward, 3 back solution at this stage in his career.

SaI' repped this.
  7. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest, all things considered this is an excellent result for us ( of course depressing that we are happy with a cheap draw against Lazio )'

Andreas repped this.
  8. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I’d take him.

No matter what happens I just hope we don’t get a pure poacher. This team is limited and relies on the striker to make plays.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Smalling was good, though he has had some shakier performances since the new year. Veretout was bad though, and also has been a different player in 2020.

11. nguoiaoden

nguoiaoden Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    [​IMG]

You forgot it so quickly o_O

FireTrapatoni repped this.
  12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I forget nothing.

Andreas and SaI' repped this.
  13. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spinna, Santon, Smalling, Under all excellent today

14. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    We need Kolarov playing right now and he will continue to get starts. Just need to find the right defender on the other wing that matches up well with his strengths and weaknesses.

15. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    You still don't get it do you?

shiboboo repped this.
  16. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    How good we look out there going forward really doesn't matter if you don't put the ball in the back of the net. If you want to see our pathetic finishing rate drop even further by all means keep Kolarov on the bench.

17. nguoiaoden

nguoiaoden Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    In this season, you need to remember Roma has never had a stable left-winger.
    Perotti, Kluivert, Mkhitaryan... All of them were unable to start the match for six or seven matches in a row.

Koralov obviously didn't get the best support from his teammates.

18. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That has nothing to do with what's being discussed.

19. nguoiaoden

nguoiaoden Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    What I want to emphasize to you is that you should not assert anything too early when you have just witnessed one or two games.

Need more time !

20. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nope. I've watched kolarov for 3 years here. His play is clear. What he can and cant do. If you think we could have played like this today with kolarov then i dont know what to tell you.

shiboboo and SaI' repped this.
  21. nguoiaoden

nguoiaoden Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma

I really don't know when I said that. When ?

In the first leg of the season, Spinazzola had some bad games, but I never judged him.

22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Then why do you keep quoting me and bringing up his average rating to argue my point? Numbers never tell the whole story anyway. Him getting good ratings at the determinant of our overall play as a team is what you're failing to understand.

Was Spina playing left back in this bad early games? Every side knows what we're going to do when kolarov gets the ball.
    Roma will simply be a better team with Spina playing there going ahead
    You dont see it yet but you will.

23. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    Alot of you guys watch this sport, but don't know what the actual fcuk you are watching.

I bet only a few of you if that realized we were playing the 3.5 back like back in Spalletti's comeback.

ffs

24. nguoiaoden

nguoiaoden Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma

Spinny is better than Koralov if he shows a stable performance for a long time.

Okay, you and I will wait. I hope I'm wrong as the previous score predictions :D

25. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    People are saying we played well, and with Spinnazolla being so damn great, but their definition of playing well is having endless passes around the middle of the pitch, with occassional attacks getting within 25 meters from the opponent's goal line and then full breaks for ideas, creativity and creating dangerous changes. We didn't create a single dangerous chance the whole 2nd half, a situation where the person is obliged to not miss the general direction of the net.

The truth is we passed more, pressed more, ran more and got exactly as many really dangerous chances and goals/points as Lazio.

We've also lost our last 2 games. 1 points from 3 games.

Everyone seeing hope in being great at getting within 25 meters of the opposition goal without making anything dangerous out of it is just being hopeful/delusional.

And Spinnazolla didn't help with that one bit. Kolarov kind of did. And he brings almost 0.5 goals per game by being on the field.

If I have to choose between possesion and goals, I'll always choose goals. If I have to choose between someone who's flashy but brings no edge to the game and someone who delivers 0.5 goals per game, I'd always choose the latter.

But as usual Roma fans are all about participation trophies. I hope you've liked tonight's one.

Lazio just kicked us out of top 3 for good by counting on our toothlessness to do their job for them. And Fonseca delivered.