McLeish out!!

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Burkies Ginger Mop, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    Aye or Naw!!!!

Please give a reason as well!!

2. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    Yes for me! I’ve simply had enough. I respect his record at Rangers and the difficult circumstances he has had to work under but I reckon it is about time for a change!

3. tam nisbet

tam nisbet New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    yes i agree its time for someone new g souness is my manager

4. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    No, not yet. Wait until the end of the European campaign.

The season is too young to make snap decisions; Hearts may falter when injuries start setting in. Plus, who will they get at a similar price to McLeish who's anywhere near as good?

McLeish should perhaps have gone in the summer (and almost certainly would have done if not for the last-minute title) which would have helped, but bringing in a new guy right now, with the transfer window closed and the season underway, would probably not help matters.

5. LesO'lafatselik

LesO'lafatselik New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    I remember last season people were calling for McLeish's head and we went on to win the League and the CIS cup. It seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to sacrifice the manager just because the team go through a bad spell. It's a long season and we're not even a quarter of the way into it so it's way too early to be talking about this kind of thing.

Look at Strachan across at Breezeblock Boulevard. It's only a few short weeks ago Celtic were humiliated in Europe, had lost the first OF game of the season and people were expecting Strachan to walk sooner rather than later.

6. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    But when you look at the Rangers squad, do you really think McLeish strengthened wisely over the summer? I don't. I think Pierre-Fanfan is sub-standard, for example.

7. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    McLEISH MUST STAY!!!!!

8. LesO'lafatselik

Jul 6, 2005
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    It's a new defence and they'll take time to get used to each other and the Scottish game. It doesn't help that McLeish keeps chopping and changing the line-up and formation but I can understand why he's doing it.

The other factor is that he was told to reduce the wage bill. He therefore had to replace people like Ball with the likes of Barnard. While Ball didn't particularly shine, Barnard is considerably cheaper.

I think it's unfair to judge McLeish against his predecessors because he doesn't have anything near the funds that they had. Having said that, outside of Celtic and maybe Hearts, the other SPL managers would give their eye-teeth to have the sort of budget he has. Rangers should be thumping these teams every week.

9. allanmc

allanmc New Member

May 28, 2004
    London
    Time that you 'Bears' stopped hibernating and realised that the guy should never have been appointed and you've bottled out of getting rid of the mug for 3 seasons.

Stop kidding yourselves that you WON those two League(s)...the fact is that Celtic LOST last seasons and even though we had the exciting distraction of the UEFA Cup Final, we nearly plooked you to the top spot! He won the treble but that cost the club MILLIONS!

Yes, you have the titles, but you had them properly for most of the 90's...you've only had to worry about one other team for 20 years.. not so much worry for 10 of them though

Look at this season... you are Champions.. :confused: ...your squad was mainly assembled last season.. unlike Selliks and Hertzez.. your manager has been in the joab longer than most other SPL manager... you've spent more than any other club - on average - in the last 3 seasons.... you have a fancy youth academy...

I've said before that I like Alex McLeish, I liked him as a player, I like him as a man, having met him a few times in the early 90's, and I think he's a decent Manager.. but...

The Rangers job is just too big for him.. a good Manager moulds a club around him, the club reflects that managers personality/ambition/principles etc Martin at Celtic, Fergie at Utd, Wenger, Mourinho.. but if you listen to Big Eck he's become a Rangers Robot.....he didn't come with any Rangers tradition (apart from being a supporter as a kid...and one that knocked back playing for them, :eek: )

By picking up scraps you've convinced yourselves that you are doing OK... all you are doing is prolonging the big job of building a proper football club... and getting some use out of that fame academy.

Murray's sucked his mint as well.... and my final tip for the top, get Billy Davies in as Head Coach and get someone auld and wise in to be the director of fitba' (dunno who)... he'll be the next Fergie!!

Hail Hail, big Ecks in jail, what the hell do I care :D

10. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    You know, I could have sworn we got the trophies. :confused:

Eck outperformed O'Neill in terms of trophies won (which is the bottom line) while having to be a big net seller of players and slash the wage bill.

This season he has beaten Celtic, got us into the Champions League and beaten Porto there (while Celtic were humiliatingly pumped by European nobodies).

Fail fail, bhoys. :D

11. allanmc

allanmc New Member

May 28, 2004
    London
    You're obviously one of the hibernating bears. You'll be hard pushed to find a Celtic fan who'd swap the treble for Seville (or would have, but a few graduated from the University of Hindsight last season, fannies :eek: ). You'd take winning the CL group over a domestic treble surely?

You including the Masters win in that? Does winning that or the diddy cup mean more than a UEFA Cup runners up spot?

You've been gubbed by European nobodies 3 times this season, Hibs, Sheep and the Tarts :p. 1-0 to Hearts might not be humiliating... but surely it's humiliating for the Manager of the Champions to be forced into changing his system and subbing a player after 20 minutes....

Too right he needs a spark, obviously he's taking them through the tactics board in the dark... :eek:

12. bobbybhoy2003

bobbybhoy2003 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Columbus
    let me get this right.. you get pumped by Hibbies 3-0 with a flat back 4 then onto Hearts who are a wee bit better and you chop it up to 3 in the back?... :confused:

13. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    I think he deserves a chance to turn the season around. Lets see how we end up doing in Europe and in the league this year and if its not acceptable he has to go. Simple as that.

14. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Well they obviously still care enough about domestic trophies to keep up this bitter nonsense about us not winning the league. Just shows how much your bhoys are hurting. :)

15. allanmc

allanmc New Member

May 28, 2004
    London
    I think, in fact I know, that the're genuine frustration that the club didn't take the opportunity to build post Seville and we suffered the consequences.

"bitterness", we didn't get the opportunity to be 'bitter'.. once we got over the anger, Martin had resigned and the Club rightly (and very cleverly) took the initiative...

Hurting.. hilarious :p

16. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Putting Steven Hawking and Christopher Reeve together at centre back would be a new defence that would take time to gel, too, but that doesn't mean the results wouldn't be as catastrophic as having Pierre-Fanfan lumbering about.

There are clubs all over Europe that are better than Rangers and many of them will have a tiny wage bill. I think Rangers have built up a reputation as an elephant's graveyard where dodgy Europeans go for a big payday and so far, with the likes of Pierre-Fanfan and Ye Recently Departed Balkan Who Shall Not Be Named on the wage list (or until very recently on the wage list) there surely could be more done to decrease this further.

Do Celtic really have a bigger budget than Rangers? Was this the case throughout McLeish's tenure? I doubt it. Let's not forget just how many dodgy high-earners McLeish has wheeled out at Ibrox before trying to portray him as a plucky underdog. I really don't think he can spot a player; his signing policy is more miss than hit and for that reason he's failing.

17. LesO'lafatselik

Jul 6, 2005
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    If you want Christopher Reeve to play, you're going to have to fly into space and spin the Earth backwards on its axis thus reversing time - a la Superman. He's been brown bread for some time.

P.S. It's not feasible to play Hawking at the back. Neil Lennon would just let the air out of his tyres. :eek:

18. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Someone told me when I was on holiday that Reeve had died, but I thought they were winding me up. Seeing him on a (muted) television program the other day merely confirmed my suspicion. How wrong I was.

Good shout with the Lennon thing :)

19. toronto_sports_1 redded

Sep 15, 2005
    Ontario

:D :D He should be given more time, he has taken Rangers to 5th place in the SPL and that can't be a bad thing can it? He should take over the scottish
    national team along with our Gordon Strachan and we'll both be rid of managers who at best are mediocre. Come on the Hoops :D :D

20. Paddster

Paddster New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think he has took us as far as he can. He's been a half decent manager, but we need to start dominating Scottish football again, and go further in Europe.

21. toronto_sports_1 redded

Sep 15, 2005
    Ontario
    if you want to go further in europe then see a travel agent, thats you're best hope... :D :D

22. jimthetim8

jimthetim8 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 19, 2005
    the european nobodys beat porto at home in portugal!!!!!!! treat them lightly at your pearl like inter who won 1-0 , they arent apub side like you would like to think!!!!! :confused:

23. toronto_sports_1 redded

Sep 15, 2005
    Ontario

beating Porto this season is not hard, they are rubbish almost as bad as Rangers...almost. Those 3 points will be the only ones gathered by Rangers
    in this group they shold drop the rest....no problem

24. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis