McBride To Rosenberg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sweeper, Jul 31, 2002.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I get the feeling that this would be a situation where Brian would actually be getting significant playing time, as well. Hope it works out for him--guy's nearing retirement, already done so much for soccer in the USA--time to cash in and take the money

2. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    Let me take a shot at this one. European team makes small money bid for US international star. MLS laughs at bid and makes dirty European jokes as they reject bid. Rumors of unhappy midwestern target man pop up everywhere.

3. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Wasn't Rosenberg the club that offered $1 million for Adin Brown?

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right.

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Why do you see Rosenborg de Norway a better option for Brian McBride than MLS? Just curious.

6. bata

bata Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Nashvegas

Champions League.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disrespect to MLS. Just that Rosenborg is (correct me if I'm wrong) THE money club in Norway. They buy all the good players from the other teams in the Norwegian league.
    So I'm assuming, if they want McBride, they'd be able to pay him more than the MLS maximum, which is, what, $265,000, something like that?
    My post, I admit, is based on the assumption that they would pay him quite a bit more than that.

8. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    He probably gets a fairly good salary and a fair amount of games against top european competition. I think the MLS would have problems competing with that, definitely the matches, but probably also the pay check.

Rosenborg is Scandinavia's richest and internationally most successfull team. If they reach the group stage in Champion's League this year it will be the 7th in a row. And they definitely needs one or two good players to prepare for CL this year, as they are having some problem for the moment (number 6 in the domestic league after half a season, 7 points behind the top).

9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    At his age, he probably won't see another WC Finals. He would be 34 by 2006. That's very old for a striker. With a young kid at home, he should think about money rather than playing times or the level of play.

10. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    Rosenborg are the perennial champions of the Eliteserien. However, they don't generally do well in UEFA--the Norwegian league is sort of a middling league in Europe. McBride could conceivably go to Trondheim and then it could become a stepping stone to further European exposure and play with an even bigger team.

I have been waiting for a rumor like this since the World Cup. To have a Yank playing for Rosenborg would just make my year.

11. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Planetfootball is a very good source for rumors; in other words, they list accuarate rumors but indeed, they still are rumors.

13. bolas

bolas New Member

Mar 1, 2002
    IN THE CARIBBEAN
    I'LL DRINK TO THAT!

14. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    And what would he get?? Two games before they are knocked out in the prelim round??

15. capt. america

capt. america Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Boston, MA
    its better than a few games against the A-League in the US Open Cup

16. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I am a bit ignorant about the Norwegian season but think I get the gist of it.

Wow. If I were McBride I'd definitely look into going. It is like Dandal said really - if you play in Norway that is the club to play for... or maybe Bryne Fire (spelling?) in Bergen. :D But that is my sentimental favorite.

But why not? He could play championsleague ball and wade out the twilight of his career in a beautiful country... I do believe the Norwegian season runs similarly to MLS in the summer (obvious weather issues?)... so in the winter off-season, he may have the perfect opportunity to even excercise a loan deal from Rosenborg (if need be/body permits) or jettison back to the states in the winter.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did you make a smartass remark without reading the thread?

18. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Because I am a smart ass who is too lazy to read the whole thread.

19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    This is about money. He could probably triple his MLS salary by making this move.

20. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Then it is the right move for him. He has a small chance of being in the Nats picture in 2006, he has been a great MLS contributor, and he should be given the chance to go make the extra money.

21. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Did anybody think maybe Brian might not want to move his family or himself over to Norway??????

22. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    McBride has already stated he'd go to Europe to play. Whether or not he considered Norway part of Europe is another question. Personally, I think McBride was excited based on the opportunity to play at Everton under Moyes. Now that the opportunity has apparently passed, I think he'll be more reserved about moving. However, if the story about McBride begrudging MLS for refusing a transfer is true, perhaps he'll jump ship at first chance, regardless of the locale.

For me, this is a saga that it is difficult to remain neutral on. MLS and McBride can both make strong arguements for and against his release. Going against my business sense, McBride should be allowed to ply his trade in Europe. I just hope it isn't too late.

23. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Wow. Trondheim, Norway, or Columbus, Ohio.

Both are a very, very long way from civilization.

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    McBride would do well at Rosenburg, he fits their style of play. Also, they've done really well in CC of late __IIRC they made it to the second group stage two years ago?
    As far as the salary is concerned, i'm not so sure he's going to triple $275,000.
    But think of all the blondes.