McBride out

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of these young coaches moving into MLS head gigs need to take a page from other US sports and have at least one assistant that's been around the block. An old coach or very long serving assistant will have a wealth of knowledge that would help on day to day, travel, practice during the year especially during short weeks etc.

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Varas would be wise to wait for the right job. Ramos and Wicky, in particular, took crap jobs with little talent. They didn't do a lot with it, but there was also very little to work with.

Beefing up his resume with the Olympics may help him get that. No reason to jump immediately to Houston 2.0.

gomichigan24 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that. Not sure exactly how to rate jobs though and likely the good ones won't be open because those FO know youth coaches aren't ready and only bad FO's make that mistake. Of course some FO's could choose Pep or Klopp and still ruin everything.

4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think it is tough if you are a youth coach. Does a talented team or a good GM hire a youth coach with no other experience? Probably not.

That's why I think the Olympics is a good opportunity. Get something with adults under your belt. Give yourself another chance to make a run.

Then look for a team that was underperforming to your eye, or a team with new leadership, young players, etc.

gomichigan24 repped this.