McBride out

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jan 20, 2023.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The inappropriate texting will be answered by the investigation whose results are reportedly “weeks away.” USSF has said they will release the results publicly. You should have all the answers you seek in regards to the text and alleged threats at that point.

Give them some time, investigative reporting is typically fairly time consuming.

2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1616808347549802497 is not a valid tweet id

1616808927471063042 is not a valid tweet id

3. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I haven’t heard anyone talk about McBride or his position for years so kind of weird for his leaving to be controversial.

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His contract was likely up after or shortly after the World Cup. I would imagine Kate's USWNT GM Contract runs until shortly after the Women's WC. They'll bring someone new in for this next cycle.

Earnie is very closed lipped too, so don't plan on hearing much from Chicago.

Winoman repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    McBride wasn't there when Berhalter was the only candidate that got an interview. He also always seemed to be a decent guy. Still no clue what were requirements for his position. So optimistic guess would be this is just money saving move. Otherwise it looks like Ernie is attempting to keep Bert.

6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In one of the recent articles Cone said they want to have a coach in place before the March window.

xbhaskarx, Marko72, gogorath and 2 others repped this.
  7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds possible.

I would guess that another possibility might be that Cone or someone decided that Stewart and McBride were redundant and decided to eliminate McBride's position. If that's the case, I hope that Markgraf is updating her resume.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is anyone it’s Batson. He’s clearly taking a very deep look at everything. And as the CEO he’s much more responsible for the day to day of US Soccer. Cone’s position as president is much more akin to the chairman of the board type role.

Stewart originally was just the GM on the men’s side, while we had a separate GM on the women’s side. And then he was put in charge of the whole soccer side of things and McBride was brought in. So if his position was eliminated, it’d be a return to the original structure when Stewart was first hired.

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, but sort of thing is close to Schaerlackens's wheelhouse, too, though.

10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    the who decided not to retain mcbride? who is reviewing stewart...is cindy cone in charge of anything she is the one person that hasn't said a thing.

11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She’s actually spoken quite a bit at these recent events and conferences. The person we really haven’t heard a ton from is Stewart.

Cone and Batson are responsible for any review of Stewart, though I believe any decision on him would be subject to board approval.

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    She's talked.

But President is an unpaid, part time job that is much closer to a Chairman of the Board than a day to day CEO.

USSF isn't even like a company. It's like a trade confederation, made up of tons of constituent entities that each have their own leadership and organizational structures. Cindy is the Chairman of the board, but constituent orgs have wildly different interests, and the day to day company aspect of US Soccer varies by which part you are talking about.

The national teams are a big part, but they aren't the only part. There's a huge number of US Soccer members that don't care very much about the national team. Cone's been accused of ignoring them -- that was the focus on the last election; the youth leagues and state associations have things they want help with and felt there was too much focus on the national teams.

These are important decisions, but they aren't the only important decisions. I don't know that Cone has another job like Gulati did; I can't seem to find that. But the position isn't full time. I imagine all soccer presidents spend a lot more time on it than is originally stated, and still have a lot to do.

tomásbernal, gomichigan24 and DCU1984 repped this.
  13. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    way too many chefs in the kitchen

do u know that cone and batson are responsible or are u assuming by job title they are?

isn't it an 'outside review' anyway and when they do that review who do they give it to?

did they give mcbride the review of GGG before they decided not to give him another contract or does that go to stewart or cone or the board or nobody.

when they do the review of ggg does that go to whoever replaces mcbride lol or to stewart or cone or the board or again to nobody since he doesn't have a contract anyway.

with if jose called ernie and said he wants the job can stewart hire him before the review of the coach who doesn't have a contract or does he need to replace mcbride first to get that persons input on the new coach and can that person veto any coaching decision(because we have no idea what they do).

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    No one knows, but here's a basic guess based on everything that's occurred and a bit of common sense:
    • Earnie is leading the search, but has discussed ambition, criteria, budget and the general plan with Baston, Cone and probably the board.
    • I'm sure they know McBride's opinion, but if you think Earnie is fully delegating this I have a bridge to sell you.
    • I don't think the investigation stops anything, but the legal department will want to minimize the possibility of a lawsuit so it may delay public announcements
    • McBride was never a true GM, and they won't need to fill his post before hiring. They may use that as an excuse for a delay, but...
    • If they hire a Cherundolo or a Curtain, there will probably be a GM put in.
    • If they hire a high profile coach, they will probably combine the roles for budgetary and reporting reasons, and then allow the new coach some additional staff for the crap parts of the job.
    There you go. No backup but common sense here, but this seems likely.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    As an aside, McBride is a perfect example of why it is so hard to take the US Soccer fandom seriously.

He was never a serious hire for a GM role. He's got a soccer academy post playing career, but he's never coached adults nor played as a sporting director. The only real stated job they gave him -- being the club liaison -- was fine someone with little experience, but the idea that Brian McBride was a great hire for evaluating coaching or offering tactical advice is eh.

People like McBride, I get it. But it's very hard to me to take criticism of Earnie and Berhalter's credentials seriously when people think McBride was clearly qualified for this.

Maybe he would be good, but how would you know? I don't mind getting points of view from everyone, but if I'm putting someone in charge of a coaching search, I'd like it to be someone who has ever executed a coaching search.

nbarbour, xbhaskarx, nobody and 2 others repped this.
  16. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #41 bct81, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/02/06/us-soccer-usmnt-uswnt-jay-berhalter-carlos-cordeiro/

is it just me or does there seem to be a difference in how McBride and the Berhalters are being treated by the USSF?

we are "deeply grateful" to one and the other is being "dismissed".

somehow McHead never seemed to be a controversial former player.

but I just saw this:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...mcbride-out-as-us-mens-soccer-general-manager

"McBride reported to and supervised former teammates in his role as GM and was involved in controversy with another former teammate."

I missed something - how was McBride involved in this specifically?

Namdynamo, tomásbernal, neems and 2 others repped this.
  17. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what do we know?

1. McBride's contract ended in Dec 2022.
    2. Stewart's is in place till 2026.
    3. They are saying the GM role will be heavily involved in planning for the 2026 WC (perhaps McHead is just not suited for that).
    4. When the investigation is completed perhaps more shoes will drop - Stewart could make the final call that Berhalter will not continue as coach (Stewart, Reyna, McBride, and Berhalter are all or were all friends). Stewart can shoulder that entire burden and McHead does not have to worry about being the bad guy.
    5. We don't know about Cone's role or what Markgraf's role will be. (perhaps Markgraf will be GM for both and for the WC 2026).

Interesting times.

neems repped this.
  18. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

so we agree eliminate the president position there is literally no reason for it.
    so ur saying this may be true...but u have no idea its just ur idea of 'common sense' which has never been a driving factor within us soccer...EVER.

-u literally have no evidence that is true so I can't take it serious and u use the word 'probably' lol.
    -sure they know mcbride's opinion...the opinion of the guy someone or group of people chose not to retain why would that opinion matter at all. shouldn't the future gm's opinion bet he one that matters lol. ernie better care about the gm's opinion but then again we don't know what the gm does so maybe it doesn't matter lol.
    -people filing lawsuits dont care about time or public announcements lol
    -mcbride wasn't a true gm....can u help us all out and tell us the jobs of the 'true' us soccer gm and what ones mcbride didnt do making him not
    -gm to do what? real gm responsibilities or the us soccer gm responsibilities ofo which we have no idea what they are?
    -combine the roles? of what the coach and the 'gm' again of which we have no idea what that role is lol

I appreciate the time it took to put together ur idea of whats going on but we dont know what the gm does so none of what u said is anymore then a wild guess.

19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't speak to McBride's credentials, but I know he would have worked hard, given his best, been disciplined and principled in doing his job. That does not mean he was qualified or the best person to do the job. I understand that.

All I know is he started the Brian McBride Soccer Academy and was on ESPN FC.

neems and jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Pretty vague imo. It says a lot without saying much. “Involved in a controversy with a former teammate…..” Could mean virtually anything…including nothing. Was it Berhalter, Wynalda, Reyna? Someone else? Was he in the right? In the wrong? Unclear or still under investigation? The article states a lot of facts but doesn’t really give a reason for the parting….probably means the journalist Doesn’t know either I guess

tomásbernal repped this.
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    What?

There's a clear reason for the president position. It's the elected overseer of the board. So yeah, it's absolutely necessary.

That's hardly true.

I get that you can get a lot of likes saying everything everyone does in US Soccer is literally non-sensical, but it isn't true. For example, things like the DA, youth soccer rules around playing out of the back, securing two world cups, establishing a whole pro soccer league and winning 4 WWCs is all pretty good.

Are you high?

Umm, yes, they do. To file a lawsuit, you need to establish some kind of damage; public pronouncements can be that. And it's evidence that often if hard to get from internal conversations.

Hot tip: putting lol at the end of sentences that have no reason for anyone to laugh does not inspire confidence.

When McBride was hired, there were a number of responsibilities. I'm too lazy to go back to find all of them, but one was coordinating club releases and liasing with clubs. Clearly McBride did that.

The other was a claim that McBride was really Berhalter's boss; hiring, firing, etc. Considering the importance of that role and the need for the board to approve, it seems silly to pretend that Earnie wouldn't be involved with that.

There's a lot of work across Sporting Director, GM and Coach. I think you probably need 3 people. But you probably don't need the GM over the coach. That's all.

I'll be honest, I don't even get the point of your post. What are you even trying to say?

22. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    You seem pretty plugged into USSF. Do you think they’ll add an investigation into “people briefed…but unauthorized to speak to the press” to the ongoing investigations?

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I am not plugged into USSF in the least. I know a few people in the industry, but no one in USSF or close to it. I've just literally having watched a number of orgs have to deal with shit like this.

I'm not actually sure what you are asking.

jaykoz3 and gomichigan24 repped this.
  24. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s basically just saying stuff that’s based on public statements, reporting, and other publicly available information.

25. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Do you think they’re concerned that people unauthorized to talk about internal discussions are doing so somewhat regularly?