Maybe stop basketball re: injury risk

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by NewDadaCoach, May 14, 2023.

1. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    Sure it is. It's called being a kid. Injuries happen for all sorts of reasons. There's a kid on my son's HS lacrosse team who's been out since mid-April because he broke his wrist. Not on the lacrosse field - he rolled over a UTV (thankfully, the wrist was the only injury). Is he going to stop doing the other activities he does during the year on the chance he might get injured? Of course not.

Chesco United and sam_gordon repped this.
  2. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    both my boys played rec basketball from 4yrs old thru high school always enjoyed the game.
    Their best coach in any sport was their middle school basketball coach. A former world class track athlete with a 2 year NFL career, the man taught them how to work as an athlete, except losses but still keep moving forward and that a price has to be paid for playing time. Everything was earned. How to grind thru a season. It was their best preparation for the grind of high school soccer and club soccer and they both used the experience of having to sit the bench when they went on to their college soccer careers, both having to sit their freshmen years.

I run across this coach a couple times a year and always thank him for those years. They were the most unexpected experience and most rewarding we had in all of our youth sports years

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son tore his meniscus playing touch football with his cousins. Had to have surgery, missed his entire junior year (yes, ALL of it) while in recovery--during which time, there was no guarantee he'd ever be able to play again. It almost certainly cost him some four-year college recruiting opportunities, and he's pretty sure it negatively affected him as a player even though he did go on to play for several more years including last year in Europe. He lost a bit of lateral quickness and never got it back.

Should I have told him not to horse around with his cousins at his grandparents' house?

Injuries happen.

Fuegofan, NewDadaCoach and sam_gordon repped this.
  4. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    And my youngest tore his meniscus in the 7th game of his sophomore year in college, cost him the rest of the season. Was able to comeback as a junior and have a solid year.
    This is also the one who broke his arm falling from a 10 foot fence while climbing (in soccer cleats) over to get his soccer ball while his parents where watching his brother play. Lost a half a season and tryouts to that one.

Injuries happen, indeed they do

P.s. this one is currently training for his second marathon and adjusting his attitude to accommodate the level of play and commitment to the adult soccer leagues he is playing in.

Life is good.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son turns 25 next week; other than playing for fun with friends, it seems he's hung up his soccer cleats for good. I'm a little wistful about that, but life goes on!

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  6. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    My boys are 28 and 24 respectively, both are playing in adult leagues with a lot former college players. I am very happy they still enjoy the game.
    For me, their high school is just around the corner from my office, each fall I still catch a game or two. Still know the coach, do not know any of the players.
    Still go to college games in the area, watch a lot of European football, futbol, Fußball .
    The game is a gift from my sons, because MySonsPlayed.

Pete., bigredfutbol and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  7. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Jungle gym is ok as it's not that high, but I would discourage rock climbing.
    Breaking a bone is not as bad as repeated ligament strains, in the long run. Bones heal back strong. But ligaments are tricky. I don't know anyone who gets surgery for a ankle sprain; some people have loose ankles due to this.

I don't know enough about skateboarding.
    He rides a bike.

It's mainly ankle and knee injuries I'm concerned about as he will likely rack those up playing soccer. So why add to it from other sports.

8. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Then he doesn't take lacrosse very serious

9. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Did they get any injuries from basketball?

10. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    That's very unfortunate. I was thinking of signing my kid up for flag football but probably won't now, the movements put undue pressures on the knees and ankles. Unless he really wants to play football, but would only let him play QB or kicker.

Rare to get meniscus surgery at that age. Meniscus tears are common but often surgery is optional. Mine has several tears in it.
    It's best for atheletes to study the knee anatomy and do "pre hab" exercises to add stability in the surrounding muscles. I'm gonna have my kid do that. Look up knees-over-toes guy on youtube.

11. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    It's amazing how much wear and tear the body can take and keep on ticking. Especially with some rehab and then ongoing just paying more attention to stuff and being aware of your body and situations you can get into.
    side note: let's go LeBron! 38 years old and in the conference finals.

12. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wasn't a very good soccer player but I injured my ankle playing youth soccer.

13. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Tryouts are now and he has a sprained ankle because some kid tripped him playing basketball at recess. Can you see why I'm frustrated

14. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    What movements are there in flag football that there aren't in soccer?

15. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    You could say they are similar, but then, that is double the possible accidents if you play both sports. So just play one.
    The pitches have divots too that can cause injury. Most pitches are not perfect.

But... maybe I'm overstating the risk. Could be

But now I'm thinking baseball and tennis might be better options.

16. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Is he trying out for the same club? If so, I'm sure his coach can vouch for him (if you're not keeping the same coach).

And wait, this happened at recess? So you're going to have him sit on the sidelines while his friends are playing? SMH

17. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    It’s not the kid’s entire life

RealChicago, sam_gordon and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  18. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    Nothing more serious than a bruised ego from not being an immediate starter and having to earn their playing time on those middle school teams.

A couple of twisted ankles and jammed fingers, nothing serious.

19. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    Both my boys missed two tryout seasons due to injury over the course of their club careers, this never hurt their standing with the club.
    Now we never changed clubs, but we did go to other club tryouts, but not in the years they were injured.

NewDadaCoach and sam_gordon repped this.
  20. saltysoccer

saltysoccer Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 6, 2021
    I wouldn't worry about it. Tryouts at 10 years old are almost meaningless. In fact, from what I've seen, tryouts at most youth soccer ages are nearly meaningless.

Fuegofan repped this.
  21. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    can you explain

22. saltysoccer

saltysoccer Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 6, 2021
    From everything I've seen and also heard from coaches, they pretty much have their rosters set well before tryouts. They know who they've got and who else is in the locale. Tryouts only matter for the rare case of a completely undiscovered player or one who's suddenly turned the corner in terms of development.

23. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Pretty sure we've discussed exactly that on here before.

Note: I'm agreeing with you, there's no snark in this post.

saltysoccer repped this.
  24. saltysoccer

saltysoccer Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 6, 2021
    No snark taken. NewDadaCoach asked, and my explanation is pretty much what’s been discussed before.

sam_gordon repped this.