Max Bretos should be MLS commentator!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by BayVol, Aug 8, 2002.

1. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    his call of the Galaxy-Quakes match by HIMSELF was tons better than Jack.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Better than Jack" does not necessarily mean "the job should be his."

Frankly, I wouldn't want either Max or Jack.

3. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

THANK YOU, BayVol!!! I've said this sooooo many times. & finally, someone agrees. This is 1 of my favorite posts by far!

4. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Re: Re: Max Bretos should be MLS commentator!

I think it should be his until they find someone even better.

5. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted....

but I feel he brings excitement to the game and, in my opinion he is worth a look at.

Do you like Jack?

6. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Re: Granted....

Well, if your talkin' to me, yes. He has a sense of humor & passion that I feel jack & some others don't have.

7. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EIjefe...a question....

Who would you like to see be the announcer for MLS?

8. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Mr. Bretos

I liked the whole crew from Ticket to Asia during the World Cup (FSW), but my favorite was Max Bretos. I'd LOVE to see him. And leave behind VP.

9. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bretos is also prone to the occassional horrific match.

His call of the USA-Cuba match in the Gold Cup was worse than anything I have EVER heard Jack Edwards do. And I shake my head a minimum of 5 times when I hear Jack do a game.

That day, Max had obviously done little homework, and was even butchering the US players a bit, while still finding time to tell me about beaches in Cuba, and a few minute long diatribe about which Cuban track star won a gold medal at the Montreal Olympics.... 25 freaking years ago. Max is of Cuban heritage, but it was still awful.

I've heard Bretos do dozens of games on FSW, and have heard Jack do probably 50 or 60 games.

If you get Max, people will still come here and bitch and moan about him.

10. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Ummm, really? I thought he was Italian.

11. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever heard an Italian roll his "R's" like big Max?

It's Charro-Riffic!!

Lionel Bienvenue used to call him "my favorite Cuban-American" on the old Fox Sports EPL highlight show. I'm going on nothing more than that.

12. jackistheman

jackistheman New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    To suggest replacing Jack Edwards with Max Bretos is like suggesting replacing your Mercedes Benz with a Yugo. One is polished, sleek, and sporty, while the other is only chugging along until its owner can swallow his pride and take the bus. Jack Edwards provides unsurpassed insight, passion, and wit to televised sporting events.

If members of the pathetic mass would only stand up from their overpriced leather recliners, put down their half-empty Zimas, and forget about their self-esteem issues for just one brief moment, they would see that Jack Edwards provides play-by-play announcing unparalleled anywhere in the civilized world. To suggest his termination as lead play-by-play announcer is ludicrous and bordering on criminal.

13. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I could not agree more. He calls a good game. I sent a tape of a game to a friend in England. Very complimentary of the announcers (Max). My wife who isn't huge into sports loves his call. He is entertaining and he should get the job.

14. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think Bretos would be a great addition to announce the MLS games.. He adds a huge entertainment value that could help attract the casual fan and at the same time does a very good job and is articulate...

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love listening to Bretos call a game. But he needs a straight man in the box with him.

16. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, he may not be quite as bad as a lot of people on here say, but this is getting a little ridiculous:

they would see that Jack Edwards provides play-by-play announcing unparalleled anywhere in the civilized world.

Let me guess, you think Alexi Lalas should still be starting for the nats, too, right?

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This subject comes up all the time, but can somebody answer me whats so great about Bretos? That he screams every once in a while? That he uses English football words every once in a while? Peresonally I think the guy is a boob, I had on a game that he was commentating and a nonsoccer viewing froiend stopped by, I left on the game and he said Max was "annoying as hell" Many non-regular soccer fans are just gonna hear a guy shouting like this for no reason and think he's a complete boob. I'll take Jack and Ty over Max in a heartbeat, any day of the week, for any match.

18. detroitexpress

detroitexpress New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    Tommy Smyth is the man for the job. See the "SIGN UP THAT IRISH DUDE" thread for details.

19. Duff

Duff New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Max is genuine, I think that's why I like him. He calls the game with energy and makes me laugh now and then...If Jack ever makes me laugh, it's more of a shameful laugh. Also, Jack's comments, that he obviously thinks up the night before, distract me from great moments...."Mine eyes have seen the glory", "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave"....a bit too contrived for my tastes.

20. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Why couldn't he have a gay man with him?

21. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

Is Jim J Bullock available?

22. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming from someone named Jackistheman,that's funny.You can't possibly believe any of that crap."Jack Edwards provides play-by-play announcing unparalleled anywhere in the civilized world". Sorry!That one still cracks me up!!

Now,before I get called a Max lover or the evil anti-Jack,please understand that I know that the things that Jack does that annoys the Hell out of me are why some people like him.Some of the things I love about Max are the things that piss off other people.

I would love to see Jack try to do more than one game(or league for that matter)
    a week.Max does 5 or 6 matches a week sometimes more.I wonder if he could keep up with the "unparalleled" Jack Edwards if he only had one game to study and work on per week.

Let me put it this way.Could Max do Jack's job?Easily.Could Jack do Max's job?Hardly.I cringe thinking of Jack calling a game by himself.

And,USA1950,Probably the main reason Max had a bad game(USA-Cuba)is because he had called maybe 500 matches since the previous Gold Cup.None of those 500 or so matches were US Nats.And he wasn't at the stadium.He was calling the match from the studio.Jack has been at every match that I've seen him call.I'm assuming that it is much easier to be at the game.

And Max IS Cuban/American.I've heard him say it several times on the old EPL show.

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three words:

Charles Nelson Reilly

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four choices:

Brad Sham: Does a good job with the Burn telecasts, but has had difficulties in his ESPN appearances in the past, due mostly to unfamiliarity with other teams' players.

JP Dellacamera: Does a solid, professional job calling the Metros games. Does a solid professional job calling most games.

Sean Wheelock: Does a good job calling the Wizards matches. Also did a good job last season with the commentary for the condensed matches shown on MLS Extratime.

Dwight Burgess: Crew fans swear that he's The Man, but I don't necessarily agree. Nonetheless, he does a competent job calling matches, and would be an upgrade over Jack or Max.

(And would some kind moderator merge this with the other "Max should be commentating MLS" thread?)

25. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been curious to finally hear him call an MLS game.

He isn't too bad, and I don't mind his little phrases that much (gives him a unique personality). I like how he allows for silent space during the match. And he isn't afraid to criticize.

But he knows very little about MLS. He comes off as kind of arrogant towards MLS, and that's annoying to hear from an American announcer. He needs to follow this league the way Jack and Ty do if he were to be a good MLS announcer.

This is the only part of his announcing that I think needs work in regards to doing MLS games.

- Paul