MAX BRETOS! is there a worse commentator.???

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Pottertons, Sep 26, 2003.

1. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Max is the Man.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The question of whether or not Bretos is better than other US sportscasters is not the issue. As compared to British announcers, he's bad. Very bad. He's not knowledgeable enough (remember folks, he has to know more than you. This is his JOB) and makes stupid mistakes. He seems to have no control over the modulation of his voice, which is a problem, since he accents the wrong things. His inability to get the basic pronounciation of fairly easy foreign names is stupefying. (When did Smertin become S'h'mertin?) In short, Max Bretos is the only US announcer that actually makes me swtich to Spanish, if possible. And my Spanish isn't that good.
    Even Jack Edwards, whose homerisms I HATED during Japorea never made me turn the channel, since he saved most of his stupidity for post-match comments which I could safely avoid.

4. Bosanac

Bosanac New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Max Bretos is great! He really does his research and knows a lot about the players. He also tries to make the play-by-play as exciting as possible. Really, those two things are the most important for me when it comes to a commentator.

5. Owlette

Owlette New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Southern California
    Bretos is ok. His voice can be grating, but he knows the game and he seems to love the game.

I personally am sick of Cantor. He's critical and monotonous unless there's a goal. gooooooooooooooooooooooooal..... enough already.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    His research is superficial. When I know more about the players on teams I don't support, its not a good sign. Why? BECAUSE ITS NOT MY JOB!