MAX BRETOS! is there a worse commentator.???

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Pottertons, Sep 26, 2003.

1. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I don't need the announcer to tell me what's going on, I can see it for myself.

2) I want an announcer who is very passionate about the game.

3) I want an announcer who is funny from time to time.

4) I want an announcer who is very knowledgable about the world of soccer.

Max has all 4 qualities, therefore I rate him very highly.

Most of the UK announcers do well on #1 and #4. #2 and #3 are often overlooked. What a shame!

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Bretos, as has been noticed is doing studio voice overs so I can give him a break here. But I HATE the silly accents he does. If a guy has a Italian name Bretos has to do a silly Italian take off. Other than that I watch with the sound off.

The Jack and Ty pair "REALLY SUCK" they just can't shut up. When one tires and needs a break (Not often enough) he asks a dumb question to the other so he can carry on. Sometime they even talk about what's going on, on the pitch.

How many times do you want to hear. "The keeper was beaten on that shot, 15 foot lower and it's a goal"

Do you really need some fool telling you that it was a long diagagnal pass upfield, when you've just watched it happen.

There are times to talk and times to let the game talk and these two are just so full of themselves they think you like to hear them all the time.

Or maybe you do...maybe you need the game explained to you!

3. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    If I want the game to speak for itself, I'll mute it. But obviously I like to hear the excitement shown by the announcers. I'm sick of hearing British announcers saying the usual, "Oh he could have done better with that had he done this instead." Duh. Announcers that let the game speak for itself puts me to sleep.

4. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    SCBozeman???

Europoser??

What do you mean exactly....?

OK,OK.

I understand. I've lost, the white flag is up. :)

Fair game. I guess after reading all your posts, I realize that i'm just being too biased. I guess I should be lucky that MAX is available period.

5. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    -------------------------------------------------

NO Passion. Are you absolutely mad. You've got to be kidding me. The statistics, the history, the past meetings, info on individual players, current events invollving the players, the reaction after a goal is scored, the extensive vocabulary used to descirbe a simple pass, acknowledging what's going on in the game (focusing on it period....so often MAX drifts off and is suddenly caught off guard by a good pass or shot. THAT IS PATHETIC)....the list could fill pages and pages when talking about passion.

6. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    ALSO, I've never heard these other lads like "jack & TY:" so I can't really compare them.

I'm just saying OVERALL in footey.

O well, I guess my many e-mails to foxsportsworld will be immediately deleted.

with that said..........

TO EACH HIS OWN.... is the only way of dealing with this conversation.

7. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    korean commentators

ESPN or FOX should hire the koreans who did the South Korea WC games. awesome:D

8. reggae boy

reggae boy New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    Jamaica, West Indies
    Max bretos is the man.He is one of the world's best and in every match he commentates in he does very well.

GOD BLESS

9. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Don't really mind him. Although my favorites are the guys that do the Argentine Game of the Week on Fox Sports. Spanish-Speaking commentators are my favorites.

10. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Max does a good job on FSW's rugby coverage too sitting in studio next to the Viz man.

11. jervonics2112

jervonics2112 New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    you got to be kidding me, BRETOS is a commentator who truly loves the sport of football(soccer)! he keeps on top of ALL the european teams and is VERY livley when he is able to do commentary for matches!i would like to see guys bashing him, get in front of a camera and see how you do! be thankful FOX chose someone with passion for the sport as opposed to one of their STOCK commentators. i believe he has helped to further the sport in america! LONG LIVE MAX!!!

12. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    I'd like the american networks to hire some decent british commentators.

But until then Max Bretos is the best we have.

On another note, one thing I really despise about American commentators is their "oh well, it's all good" attitude towards diving. Really pisses me off. Max Bretos said during the milan-manu game when Crespo dived for the free kick, "it's for the fans."

Bull.********.

13. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    bretos got a annoying voice. I find his voice very annoying...BUT!!!

The guy is calls the game with enthuisiasm, and it's clear that he loves the goddamn sport. He is that type of a commentator where he can single handly make a viewer really excited bout the match. For Play-by-play, i think he's okay but he doesn't necessaily have to be good since he's doing television, not radio.

Besides the annoying voice, Max is a good commentator.

14. Panzo

Panzo Member

Oct 3, 2003
    LOL, yep that sounds like something only Max would throw out there. And it probably flew over the heads of 98% of his viewing audience. I'll count myself as a fan. He's certainly a hip alternative to the traditional stale commentators.

15. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loving the game doesn't automaticly mean you are a good commentator, I'm sure there are millions people out there that love sports but that doesn't mean they are all qualified. To the part saying he keeps up with all the leagues, during a CWS match he said that Viera had signed with Madrid and that the title of "best central mid-field of the prem" was up for grabs. He is very lively but he's too lively, I don't want comentators yelling when someone makes a run down the side of the field, hell Max yells when a player gets a pass in the center of the field. He loves soccer a lot and knows a ton of info on very obscure players, I'll give him that, but he isn't a top notch pbp man.

16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul. Caliguiri. Enough said.

17. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Spanish is a bit better than adequate, so the pairing of Cantor and Luongo is the best ever. Luongo is a poet, a true aficionado of the lyricism of the game and to hear him rhapsodize on the play is like listening to an ancient bard. Once when a cannon shot hit the woodwork, he said, "The conception says 'Yes!', the velocity says 'Yes', the post says 'No!'"

Bretos knows what he's doing. I like Chinaglia well enough and he knows football. He's didactic, which sometimes bothers me when I think the has a scripted concept of how things ought to be, like he knows better than the manager how the team should play. But that's just Giorgio.

Oh how I wish I could understand everything Andy Gray says. But I understand him better than Sir Alex.

18. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    Just because he likes the sport does not mean he should be commentating. Be behind the scenes or some rubbish , just that you are not heard because he is terrible!

19. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you said it american network. We don't want or need British announcers. Just like our footballers it will take time to develop our own american anouncers. I'm just glad to have a guy who is fairly knowledgable of the teams and has a passion for the game. Until we develop more football anouncers, he'll do.

20. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as an American who has been assulted by the airwave sounds of classic broadcasters like John Madden, Bill Walton, Marv Albert, Dick Vital, Dennis Miller, and Cris Berman I have grown practically immune to bad announcing, kind of like growing up in dirt and developing an immunity to filth.

I bet I am worse than Bretos.

Edit: Bretos however is quite knowlegable about the game at a global level.

21. rossoneri_22

rossoneri_22 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 18, 2004
    Bretos isn't very knowledgable about the game on a global level. Before the Man United-Milan match he said that Milan would be playing Juve in the italian supercup.

He kept yelling during the game about how good johnny spector was. Johnny did nothing during the game.

I don't really like Bretos at all.

22. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roger Twibell, WC '94.

The defense rests.

23. reggae boy

reggae boy New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    Jamaica, West Indies
    MAX BRETOS IS AN O.K. COMMENTATOR. the reason why i like him is the fact that he enables the viewers to know more about the players they're watching.

GOD BLESS

24. ionprovisioner

Nov 23, 2003
    Flint, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't understand all the hate thrown at Max Bretos. For a long time, American football lovers have anticipated the emergence of a truly American style - one that blends the flair and beauty of the beautiful game with the mind-over-matter results-oriented European style.

And it seems to me that here is a commentator who does just that in the booth - Max blends the exuberant style I hear in Telemundo and satellite broadcasts with the wry wit of a continental play-by-play man.

I love it.

25. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    i'm glad to hear max b/c they're showing the game in the fucqing first place...

skirts