Matt Turner

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Cannons, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #1 Cannons, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Well I have to admit Im disappointed. Matt was a healthy scratch from the friendly that kicks off soon. Matt was the least experienced of the three goalies called into camp and must be disappointed. I know I am. With the lack of any kind of camp news, who knows how he did? Must be Hell to go to a camp for a month only to not even make the bench

TOAzer repped this.
  2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt was much stronger this past year than either of Johnson or Hamid. But I guess it takes time to build a reputation. Heck, it took the brilliant Nick Rimando so long that basically he was over the hill before he got his quarter of a chance.

3. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not to be THAT guy, but we have a thread specifically for posts like this, however. I'm sure Matt is happy to have been called in at all. Dissapointed not to play or make the bench? for sure, but I'm gonna bet he doesnt feel like he wasted his time.

ToMhIlL, Crooked and rkupp repped this.
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to echo that point, us old-timers remember the year when several Revs were called in to the Nats pre-season camp. Regardless of who ended up playing, they were raring to go at the start of the season and we got off to our best start ever, IIRC.

A lot of the time national teams are about "paying dues" and "pedigree." It takes time to do that, and while we can argue that Matt "deserves" this more, this is a building block for him. You can bet that if he picks up where he left off and gets off to a good start, he will get that much more recognition when the next Nats camp rolls around.

Sachem07 and NFLPatriot repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, totally agree on both points. The guys who went to January NT camps were always well ahead of their teammates. It's training with a bigger staff, better facilities, more resources, against better competition.

Agree about Turner as well, but I am somewhat frustrated with the USNT investing precious game experience in keepers who are unlikely to (or shouldn't) be involved in the next couple (at least) of WC cycles.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Usually the January camp and friendlies was for MLS players and to give them a shot to see how they did, sort of like giving rookies lots of minutes in pre-season games. Rarely were any Europe-based players even called in for the camps.